Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

streamline 300gpd reverse osmosis help

S

sparkie

hi, i have a 300 gpd system with the 3 fiter click catridges and the resin click cartridge, and if anyone also has the same type of filters and resin just wondering how long the resin cartridge normally lasts for? my tds has gone up to 8 on around 3 weeks whereas the previous one lasted a lot longer, cud i have had a poor faulty cartridge or is around a month the norm? i use virtually 350 litres a day, any info or help would be much appreciated, thanks.

hi, i have a 300 gpd system with the 3 fiter click catridges and the resin click cartridge, and if anyone also has the same type of filters and resin just wondering how long the resin cartridge normally lasts for? my tds has gone up to 8 on around 3 weeks whereas the previous one lasted a lot longer, cud i have had a poor faulty cartridge or is around a month the norm? i use virtually 350 litres a day, any info or help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Nobody will be able to give you an answer because even if they have the same system, their situation will be different.

Maybe you did get a bad resin cartridge but an increase in resin usage can be many other things or a combination of them as well. Maybe the next resin cartridge will be fine. Do you fill your own cartridge or do you buy them already filled?

Sometimes we think we have used the same amount of water when we have actually used more.

You really need to try to eliminate the others before you can identify the culprit. 

What is your tap water tds? What is your tds of the pure after it leaves the membrane (not after the di?)

The higher the tds output from the membrane the more resin you will use polishing the water off. So if you have a membrane failure then you will use more resin as the membrane becomes less efficient.

What's your water pressure? Has it dropped recently?

What's your pure to waste ratio when you are processing water?

How old is your r/o?

If its more than 6 months old, when did you last replace prefilters?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi spruce, thanks for your time and questions, my tank is 350 litres and i use virtually the whole of it each day, my system is 17 months old, my tap pressure is just over 40 and is same every time virtually, my tds before resin is 9, my tap tds is around 200, my filters are changed every 3 months and the last change was a month ago same time as resin, my resin is in a cannister already called a click type same as the filters, they are all streamline products.

hi spruce, thanks for your time and questions, my tank is 350 litres and i use virtually the whole of it each day, my system is 17 months old, my tap pressure is just over 40 and is same every time virtually, my tds before resin is 9, my tap tds is around 200, my filters are changed every 3 months and the last change was a month ago same time as resin, my resin is in a cannister already called a click type same as the filters, they are all streamline products.
Your r/o is running at 95.5% efficiency. It could be a little better but not at the point where you would consider changing the membrane.

You are looking after the r/o well, so if all things are as they have always been then chances are that the last resin cartridge is suspect.

thanks mate, changed resin today went to 0 tds so just going to see how long this one lasts , its only a litre resin cartridge so roughly how long would u expect it to last or reach around 5 tds?

thanks mate, changed resin today went to 0 tds so just going to see how long this one lasts , its only a litre resin cartridge so roughly how long would u expect it to last or reach around 5 tds?

Difficult to say.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

The problem is; at what point is the resin spent. Is in when it first reaches 1ppm or 5ppm or 10ppm? Personally I can see spotting in low level sun at 5ppm, so I never let my pure tds rise above 1.

If you put your figures in; 5ppm and 7700 liters of pure used a month (350 x 22 days) then the calculator says you should replace resin at 4.8 weeks.

However, whilst we say we are using x amount of water a day, it could be much less if we have bad weather and loose several days cleaning. So it could be that we use less and so our resin should last longer.

thanks again mate, i will use that link , ideally i dont want to go above 5 but prefer much lower, i once used a litre catridge for about 3 months cos my tds only said 4 but i reckon it must av been a dodgy tfs meter so have bought the gardiner one now which is hopefully better quality, thanks again, how often does ur resin last u ?

350litres a day, with a 1 litre DI vessel that's polishing 9tds water, only lasting a month sounds reasonable to me. If you want to buy a bigger vessel to make it last longer you can, but you'll be spending the same amount of money on resin

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

thanks again mate, i will use that link , ideally i dont want to go above 5 but prefer much lower, i once used a litre catridge for about 3 months cos my tds only said 4 but i reckon it must av been a dodgy tfs meter so have bought the gardiner one now which is hopefully better quality, thanks again, how often does ur resin last u ?

Knowing that won't help you tbh. Our water from the tap is between 79 and 120ppm. The pure tds after r/o is between 1 and 2ppm. I have a 7 liter di vessel and it lasts me a year. Our water pressure is 50psi which is a little higher than yours. If your r/o is fitted with a Vontron membrane then the manufacturer says you need 65psi for it to work properly. 

So if you had a higher water pressure your r/o would be more efficient and you would use less resin.

The membrane I have in my 4040 is 5 years old and being an HF5 50psi w/p is the lowest it will work with.

Knowing that won't help you tbh. Our water from the tap is between 79 and 120ppm. The pure tds after r/o is between 1 and 2ppm. I have a 7 liter di vessel and it lasts me a year. Our water pressure is 50psi which is a little higher than yours. If your r/o is fitted with a Vontron membrane then the manufacturer says you need 65psi for it to work properly. 

So if you had a higher water pressure your r/o would be more efficient and you would use less resin.

The membrane I have in my 4040 is 5 years old and being an HF5 50psi w/p is the lowest it will work with.
mate wonder if u can help, my filters and membrane are getting my tds down to 9 so when my resin is knackered and my tds is 9 does this mean my tds wont go higher than 9 if my filters and membrane continue to break it down to 9 or will my knackered resin push it higher than the 9 that my fliters and membrane are getting it too if that makes sense .

I believe that it is possible for old spent resin to start to contaminate the pure you have produced. I've never had that issue as I change resin when the tds from it is 1ppm which it is now.

If your membranes are producing water a 9ppm then the only time that will increase is if the membranes deteriorate a little more or your tap water tds increases.

If you are going to work with 9ppm (which I wouldn't do) then you need to remove the resin vessel from the circuit. At one time a supplier did say I could work with 4ppm and not use resin at all. At 5ppm I can see tiny white spots from inside on windows in low level sunshine.

As I has previously mentioned, we live and work on the North East Coast so salt spray means our water has to be the best quality and that we need to rinse more than inlanders do.

I believe that it is possible for old spent resin to start to contaminate the pure you have produced. I've never had that issue as I change resin when the tds from it is 1ppm which it is now.

If your membranes are producing water a 9ppm then the only time that will increase is if the membranes deteriorate a little more or your tap water tds increases.

If you are going to work with 9ppm (which I wouldn't do) then you need to remove the resin vessel from the circuit. At one time a supplier did say I could work with 4ppm and not use resin at all. At 5ppm I can see tiny white spots from inside on windows in low level sunshine.

As I has previously mentioned, we live and work on the North East Coast so salt spray means our water has to be the best quality and that we need to rinse more than inlanders do.
when i had my system 19 months ago i never changed my 750 ml resin catridge for 7 or 8 months cos the reading on my tds meter kept saying 4 , i thought this was bizarre and maybe i had a faulty meter, i have since realised the resin only last over a week so i am guessing during that 8 months when my readings were 4 it was cos my membane was getting it to 4 and resin had all been used up months and months ago, the water dried perfect on 4 so i am thinking buy a new membrane which shud get it down to 4 then clean instead of keeping this current membrane which gets it down to 9 and keep buying resin every week?

when i had my system 19 months ago i never changed my 750 ml resin catridge for 7 or 8 months cos the reading on my tds meter kept saying 4 , i thought this was bizarre and maybe i had a faulty meter, i have since realised the resin only last over a week so i am guessing during that 8 months when my readings were 4 it was cos my membane was getting it to 4 and resin had all been used up months and months ago, the water dried perfect on 4 so i am thinking buy a new membrane which shud get it down to 4 then clean instead of keeping this current membrane which gets it down to 9 and keep buying resin every week?
Why you buying resin every week?

Not a 25l bag i hope lol

If you have a big di vessel you can saturate the resin so much that the tds after di is higher than tds before di

I know people who have experienced this with double di

They are no good mate to be fair

Would be cheaper to buy a 25l bag of tulsion but still changing every week is a nightmare

Just an example using gardiners resin calculator which is a rough guide

25l di

Tds going in 9ppm

4000 litres used per month 

Change resin every 66.6 weeks

Lasts a lot longer when in a big vessel for some reason

Don't know how much a cartridge is but my resin is 75 quid for 25l delivered from daqua

yeh it just came with my system its a pre filled cartridge that doesnt last 5 mins, it didnt matter for the first 12 months of my new system cos my membrane got water down to 4 so i never changed the resin but now membrane older and getting it down to 9 my resin goes up to 9 in 2 weeks

It's an outlay at first but worth getting a 25l di and filling it yourself for definite 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back