Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Kitting out a new van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Getting a new van next few days.

So i want to be fitting it out and just thinking of how to do it to make it the most efficent van possible for ease of working

Few things ive thought of

Electric hose reel

Fitting under van rollers

Remote (like one shot) to switch pump on and off

Solar panel on roof 

Split charge relay

Gardiners extreme pole and brush

bilge pump for fast fill of trolley

any other tips and tricks anyone has in their van to make the day easier ? hot water?

I will be concentrating mainly on window cleaning from now on rather than trying to do everything so want it as slick as possible

Are you having onboard ro Di or a static tank? Noticed on another thread you mentioned about having a part timer, I only mention this is that my son works with me he uses a trolley and we load 25l barrels on the van each morning, each night I fill the containers as well as my van just an alternative to bilge pump for fast trolley fills I have a static tank.

Nope no need for on board R.O.

I might either continue to D.I on the van and use barrels for the trolley or D.I before i fill the van so it has 000 in the tank to use a bilge pump

Getting a new van next few days.

So i want to be fitting it out and just thinking of how to do it to make it the most efficent van possible for ease of working

Few things ive thought of

Electric hose reel

Fitting under van rollers

Remote (like one shot) to switch pump on and off

Solar panel on roof 

Split charge relay

Gardiners extreme pole and brush

bilge pump for fast fill of trolley

any other tips and tricks anyone has in their van to make the day easier ? hot water?

I will be concentrating mainly on window cleaning from now on rather than trying to do everything so want it as slick as possible

I don't have solar, but from all the research I have done its imperative that you buy a genuine MPPT controller. When I mean genuine I mean something like a Victron unit.

Just check on YouTube under MPPT controllers - there are several reviews on cheap mppt controllers and how some don't do what they say on the box. PWM controllers are a waste of time in our climate.

Here's one on many explanations

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/07/21/which-solar-charge-controller-pwm-or-mppt/

As far as a split charge relay is concerned, you need to identify if your van will work with one or you need a battery to battery charger. Does the alternator charge the starter battery all the time? If it does then a hd vsr is the way to go if you are thinking about a twin leisure battery setup in the future.

You you are going to add a solar panel then there is no problem fitting a vsr or battery to battery charger as well and running both together.

Motor home and marine industries do this all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen on YouTube video that Waterworks posted that they had a keyfob that would wind in the electric reel and switch pump on and off.

No idea how this would be set up but would be good to know as next year I am switching to a van mount from my truck.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I don't have solar, but from all the research I have done its imperative that you buy a genuine MPPT controller. When I mean genuine I mean something like a Victron unit.

Just check on YouTube under MPPT controllers - there are several reviews on cheap mppt controllers and how some don't do what they say on the box. PWM controllers are a waste of time in our climate.

Here's one on many explanations

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/07/21/which-solar-charge-controller-pwm-or-mppt/

As far as a split charge relay is concerned, you need to identify if your van will work with one or you need a battery to battery charger. Does the alternator charge the starter battery all the time? If it does then a hd vsr is the way to go if you are thinking about a twin leisure battery setup in the future.

You you are going to add a solar panel then there is no problem fitting a vsr or battery to battery charger as well and running both together.

Motor home and marine industries do this all the time.

Excellent knowledge spruce but im a bit lost here.

Why is one of these MMPT controllers imperative? seen a few van with solar panels connect direct to a leisure battery, what are the potential problems with doing this?

And on the altertnator issue i have no idea, i just assumed they all worked the same, must be new technology eh?

Might just stick with my current method of plugging it in overnight if its that much hassle, i was thinking a £10 relay wired in and a solar panel slapped on the roof straight to battery

EDIT: ok just read this http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxiliary-battery-charging-in-vehicles-with-smart-alternators.html

never knew about the smart alternator thing, probably because ive never had a newer vehicle.

I think my van is euro 5, if so according to the article it will almost certain;y have a smart alternator. But i will double check.

From what ive read though, it would seem a VSR can still be used with a smart alternator, it just wouldnt be supplying charge as often due to the alternator not suppling voltage all the time like a traditional one, is this correct?

Why is one of these MMPT controllers imperative? seen a few van with solar panels connect direct to a leisure battery, what are the potential problems with doing this?

And on the altertnator issue i have no idea, i just assumed they all worked the same, must be new technology eh?

Might just stick with my current method of plugging it in overnight if its that much hassle, i was thinking a £10 relay wired in and a solar panel slapped on the roof straight to battery

EDIT: ok just read this http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxiliary-battery-charging-in-vehicles-with-smart-alternators.html

never knew about the smart alternator thing, probably because ive never had a newer vehicle.

I think my van is euro 5, if so according to the article it will almost certain;y have a smart alternator. But i will double check.

From what ive read though, it would seem a VSR can still be used with a smart alternator, it just wouldnt be supplying charge as often due to the alternator not suppling voltage all the time like a traditional one, is this correct?

See this video to understand why it wouldn't work if your van has regenerative braking.

Imho the purpose of this video is primarily a sales promotion video solving a problem. As a technical electronics company he is going to see the old fashioned split charge relay as obsolete technology. But for us plebs who still run old vans, we still find the provide a reasonably satisfactory result.

I don't know if I replaced my vsr with a Battery to battery charger I would see a remarkable difference in charging rates because I still am doing minimal mileage a day. I don't think I want to spend £200 to find out either when I don't need to. Am I frightened of change?

Cleaners with new vans will be forced to buy this technology. But where are we going to be in 10 or 20 years time? Will be have battery driven vans that wfp cleaners can source ample power from for a day's work? If we drift back to petrol driven engines in vans regenerative braking won't be necessary unless or taxation forces the manufacturer's hands.

Cheers will have to find out about my engine. Probably easier just to forget it and stick to charging over night.

Here is a video on why you need an MPPT controller

You need a controller because a 100w solar panel has a nominal voltage of about 18v which is too high to connect directly to a 12v battery.

My son connected a small solar battery charger to his car battery his father in law gave him and destroyed it. When I put an amp meter on the solar panel in direct sunshine it was pushing 24v.

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

My small combo is just for window cleaning  electric reel     Thru floor Adam.      My battery is spilt related to van battery and van bat is uprated   1 man system   With 110. Amp battery.  

Back