Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking down long ladders and using microlight?

slippy

When u got a big heavy ladder, what's the easiest way to get it up on tiles above gutter and does it look like I am using the microlight correctly?   The bottom photo shows me struggling to get the thing down to the ground.20170720_140015.jpg

20170720_140106.jpg

20170720_135447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be hard work

No real easy way though

I used to trad at 1 point with 12 rung triples with ankalad and mini microlite 

Builds your muscles up lol

I extend mine when it's flat on the floor with the microlight on. Then put the ladder feet against the wall and walk the ladder to a semi upright position - it can then be walked out from the base while keeping your hands in the centre of the rungs a few rungs apart. I use the microlight the same as you. I tried a rope operated ladder for a while which was a lot easier to extend but the sheer weight of it made it very awkward to move around the house. Just one of them jobs that you'll get used to struggling with!!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

ive had my microlite slip off before so now i have it on the other way and had no issue since but the way u have it is ment to be the corect way so ive bin told buy smurf ,ide have not used the ankalad at that hight but thats me i only use it on wet decking and slipery or sloped areas as it can be a faff but ide never be with out my ankalad very good bit of kit i also have one of them foot the ladder tools thats good bit of kit dont no y they stoped selling them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I extend mine when it's flat on the floor with the microlight on. Then put the ladder feet against the wall and walk the ladder to a semi upright position - it can then be walked out from the base while keeping your hands in the centre of the rungs a few rungs apart.

Do you mean pushing the ladder slowly up the wall while pushing the bottom of the ladder?    Is it a case of just sheer muscle power to push the microlight over the gutter onto the tiles?

Great bit of kit for cleaning gutters.  The wheels on the microlight weren't totally the same level as one was on a lower tile, does that matter?

Hard to explain this one!! If you stand your ladder upright against the house with the microlight on (unextended) - position the ladder so it is vertical, you can 'shimmy' it away from the overhanging gutter/soffit whatever, away from the house then extend everything as high as it will go OR to just above the gutter so when you continue to extend it the microlight rolls up the tiles until it hits the gutter again and is lifted off the roof. I find as soon as the microlight is resting in the tiles you can move the rungs up one at a time as the roof supports the majority of the weight. The ladder can be moved away from the house each time you push a rung up so the ladder angle increases until it's good to climb. Hope that makes a bit of sense - I looked for a video but can't see anything relevant.
Like I said I tend to extend my ladders while they are flat on the floor and then walk them up until extended - this still takes a bit of muscle power but it's pretty much unavoidable how lever you do it.
When the microlight sits uneven on the tiles I either put the ladder at an angle so the feet are flat or just shove a wedge/laddermate under the feet so it doesn't move when you climb it.

Hard to explain this one!! If you stand your ladder upright against the house with the microlight on (unextended) - position the ladder so it is vertical, you can 'shimmy' it away from the overhanging gutter/soffit whatever, away from the house then extend everything as high as it will go OR to just above the gutter so when you continue to extend it the microlight rolls up the tiles until it hits the gutter again and is lifted off the roof. I find as soon as the microlight is resting in the tiles you can move the rungs up one at a time as the roof supports the majority of the weight. The ladder can be moved away from the house each time you push a rung up so the ladder angle increases until it's good to climb. Hope that makes a bit of sense - I looked for a video but can't see anything relevant.
Like I said I tend to extend my ladders while they are flat on the floor and then walk them up until extended - this still takes a bit of muscle power but it's pretty much unavoidable how lever you do it.
When the microlight sits uneven on the tiles I either put the ladder at an angle so the feet are flat or just shove a wedge/laddermate under the feet so it doesn't move when you climb it.

Ok will try that.    Surprised you can reach the bottom rung of the ladder from the ground when it's extended that high.   Will try it.

Latest Posts

Back