Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean Prices

Cristian

Hi Folks, 

I would like to pick the brains of the members from Scotland regarding charging more for first cleans. I know they can take allot longer but I have never previously charged extra for them but would like to. 

What has your experience been regarding this. Do you charge extra for the first clean and all has been excepted by the customer or no chance in charging extra as customer won't pay for it. Prices in Scotland are allot lower than down south so I'm not too sure if customers will pay extra for the first clean or not, all feedback on this will be very much appreciated! 

Cheers

Cristian 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the north east of England and I am the only cleaner that I know local to me that charges 50% more for first cleans.

Never had an issue apart from not getting a few jobs when quoting via Facebook etc but just assumed I was to expensive overall.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I charge more too. And i am in the north east as well. You have to charge more if you do not want to be swamped by messers and penny pinchers. This is a subject i feel strongly about. Charging more fist cleans helps us keep the prices fair. So we are not all braking or necks for peanuts. On one off cleans how will not want another clean for another year or 2. Please all windies reading do the same. Your in charge not the custie. Dont let them pressure you in to it. Stay firm say NO.

I'm in North Yorkshire. I used to only charge extra if it was a one off or a customer who wanted an irregular clean, i.e. 2,3, or 4 times a year. I used to explain to the customer if they wanted a regular 4 or 8 weekly service I wouldn't charge extra for the first clean (in my eyes I was happy to take the hit on a first clean to get a regular customer). I quickly found that for every 1 customer that stayed regular there was 1 customer that said they wanted a regular but cancelled after 1 or 2 cleans so obviously didn't want to pay the one off premium and that was how they got out of it. So now all first cleans are priced higher, between 25% and 50%

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Iv just started out and thought I'm charging a good price so will not charge more for first clean but this week I have had a few that took me forever as were bad. Lesson learnt - Went canvassing that afternoon and quoted extra for first clean as could see they were pretty bad and customer was fine with it after I explained. 

Like Liam I didn't charge for 1st cleans before- viewing it as an investment. I even had flyers offering free first cleans which I targeted at houses i particularly wanted to get. But I think it depends on how much you need work. Now I'm almost at capacity and am starting to charge double for the first clean as I don't feel that I need to work for free anymore.

Did 3 first cleans on 3 semis Friday £10 a month each but £25 for first clean...when I told them what was involved they were all happy.

All round with backpack and pole spraying and scrubbing with TFR10 and swilled off with hose reel and custies outside tap.....cuppa then all round again with pure...they looked mint.

Fellow Scot here @Cristian

I must admit I still don't charge extra for first cleans. As @Skxawng said it really depends on how much you need the work, and I view it as an investment in the customer.

I do charge 2-3 times a regular price for one-offs and increase the price for less frequent cleans.

However while I don't charge London rates don't get into the mindset that Scots prices have to be cheap! Most customers value decent service these days, especially if you clean frames and sills and offer electronic payments. Charge the prices you think are right, and the customers will pay (not all of them but enough of the right ones will).

I try and judge the customer. If I think they are a potential messer it's double. You can't always tell, but but I don't often get it wrong. I'm more wary of these young lasses in their new house who haven't had the bills coming in yet, proceed with caution!

Regardless of whether you need the work or no matter how we try to judge the customer, charge more for your first cleans. 

I always run my finger over the top of a lower opening case and show them the black **** that's there. 

if people can't see and appreciate that it will take longer are they really the sort of customers you want? 

A lot of the time it's a confidence thing with us thinking 'they won't pay that' or I need the work but, if you don't value you service don't be surprised if the customer doesn't.

I just tell them it's extra first time in order to get them up to standard. Sounds good an works well for me. 

Any that are green an horrible get charged extra on top of double price. 

Thanks lads for the feedback on this! I am going to charge 50% extra now for the first cleans as I think this is acceptable considering the extra time and effort put in!  :1f44d:

Hi Folks, 

I would like to pick the brains of the members from Scotland regarding charging more for first cleans. I know they can take allot longer but I have never previously charged extra for them but would like to. 

What has your experience been regarding this. Do you charge extra for the first clean and all has been excepted by the customer or no chance in charging extra as customer won't pay for it. Prices in Scotland are allot lower than down south so I'm not too sure if customers will pay extra for the first clean or not, all feedback on this will be very much appreciated! 

Cheers

Cristian 

This is your business so you have to make a decision of what's right for you.  I don't charge first clean prices every time but if I feel the windows are in a terrible state then I will.  At the end of the day you've got to make money and if you feel a job is going to lose you money from taking too long why would you do it?  

My quotes are individual to each job I do and as much as I appreciate it needs to work for the customer from a cost point of view, it also needs to be worth my time.  It's more difficult to turn work down when you are just starting out but doing things cheap or not respecting your own time will ultimately result in a poor and unreliable customer base.  I'm established now so I get to be more picky with my customers but I have always quoted what I want out of a job, and not gone to quote with the attitude to undercut other window cleaners or be purposely cheap.  E.g. I was asked to quote a house two weeks ago, I'd already been informed that a trad guy had quoted it at £20.  I turned up, looked around and knew it would take about 40min (I aim to make around £40 an hour with my running costs).  I admitted I knew the price of the other guy but said to do the job properly and to a high standard I can't compete with that price and that I would be £30.  They appreciated my honesty, took my quotation form and will see how the cheap person goes.  Can't win them all.  Building slower but gaining higher quality work is way better than doing everything cheap or trying not to be "too expensive" for the customer.  As soon as you increase your prices you'd lose the cheap and misunderstanding (not aware of what time and costs are involved with the service) customers anyway, so if you think a house requires more work to get ready for a regular clean add on the extra cost.  Follow it up by explaining what you'll be doing first time, that it's going to take you 3 x longer though doing this will ensure going forward your windows are perfectly clean every time.  If they decline then someone else can lose their time doing it.

Everything about this business is a learning curve and finding out what works for you and what your expectations are.

Again well said @C Rose Cleaning Services from a longterm perspective it can take a long time to fully realise what should be charged, If it wasn't for me engaging in discussions on forums across the last 9 years I don't think I would be were I am today in terms of earnings and revised pricing structures. 

Cleaners around me are light years behind me in terms of business running practices both on the glass and the behind the scenes stuff.

Back