Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alright Guys - newbie here

B

Bullseye89

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, first of all.

Im Rob, 27 from the Midlands (15 miles from Birmingham).

After a lot of consideration, I've decided to get into the window cleaning game.

My future brother-in-law is a window cleaner and him, along with my father-in-law, have given me some advice and helped me with sort of a business plan.

Any advice and tips from you guys would be great to hear and massively appreciated!

Regards,

Rob

Hey Rob! I don't think there's many about at this time in the morning so I'll be the first to say hello :1f603:

I'm moving house so have been up printing all new cards, notes and flyers with the new address on ready for windows tomorrow.

Any specifics you need help with people will be glad to help you out.

Cheers, Laurie.

Hey Rob! I don't think there's many about at this time in the morning so I'll be the first to say hello :1f603:

I'm moving house so have been up printing all new cards, notes and flyers with the new address on ready for windows tomorrow.

Any specifics you need help with people will be glad to help you out.

Cheers, Laurie.

Thanks for the reply Laurie andĀ cheers for the welcome!

In the planning stage at the moment - sourcing some finances!

My first question on here would be, where is the best place to start when joining the world of window cleaning?

Would it be better to jump in and buy the gear? Research the local area first?Ā 

I dare say a million and one questions will enter my mind - but thanks for any input in advance.

Rob

Thanks for the reply Laurie andĀ cheers for the welcome!

In the planning stage at the moment - sourcing some finances!

My first question on here would be, where is the best place to start when joining the world of window cleaning?

Would it be better to jump in and buy the gear? Research the local area first?Ā 

I dare say a million and one questions will enter my mind - but thanks for any input in advance.

Rob
Its hard to know where to start, but I think it'd be best to start by buying/borrowing some trad gear (squeegee, applicator, bucket, scrim cloths, ladder etc.) and practising on your own house. Then do your matesĀ houses, then start canvassing. If you go down the water fed pole route then you'll need the trad gear for some things anyway and it's a good skill to have. It'll give you a taste for it to see if it's something you want to pursue without much outlay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to know where to start, but I think it'd be best to start by buying/borrowing some trad gear (squeegee, applicator, bucket, scrim cloths, ladder etc.) and practising on your own house. Then do your matesĀ houses, then start canvassing. If you go down the water fed pole route then you'll need the trad gear for some things anyway and it's a good skill to have. It'll give you a taste for it to see if it's something you want to pursue without much outlay.

That was my initial thoughts mate, sticking with Trad to start with, easing myself into the business gently.

Been doing as much research as I can online (across the forums, YouTube etc).

peicing jobs seems to be a daunting task in the future to be honest!

you have the ideal situation mate

your father in law and brother in law

get out with them pick up as much info as possible

they will know all the crack.even if you help them for nowt will be well worth it

you have the ideal situation mate

your father in law and brother in law

get out with them pick up as much info as possible

they will know all the crack.even if you help them for nowt will be well worth it
Cheers for the feedback Duncs. It's just finding a day to get over there to them, they are 30-40 miles away!

Cheers for the welcome guys, bitĀ of an update:

Looking like it'll be a couple of weeks at most now before I can get started (van, gear, leaflets etc).

Best advice on canvassing and gaining custom? I know to a few window cleaners around the area and don't want to encroach on their rounds.Ā 

Rob

Cheers for the welcome guys, bitĀ of an update:

Looking like it'll be a couple of weeks at most now before I can get started (van, gear, leaflets etc).

Best advice on canvassing and gaining custom? I know to a few window cleaners around the area and don't want to encroach on their rounds.Ā 

Rob
Just knock as many doors as you can until your feet hurt, and keep knocking. As for other windys, don't worry about them, if someone says they have just say ok thanks and move to the next door. Nobody has a patch, and as long as your not intentionally undercutting them, or actively trying to poach customers then there won't be any hostility towards you. If there is then try talk nicely, and if needed ring the police. 99.9% of windys will be fine, and some may even chuck a lead or 2 your way. They've all been where you are, if I see a new windy ill talk to them, maybe give a few pointers, unless they try to pinch custys intentionally, then ill just blank them. MostĀ people will tell you they have one, and are usually quite loyal.

Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd introduce myself, first of all.
Ā 
Im Rob, 27 from the Midlands (15 miles from Birmingham).
Ā 
After a lot of consideration, I've decided to get into the window cleaning game.
My future brother-in-law is a window cleaner and him, along with my father-in-law, have given me some advice and helped me with sort of a business plan.
Ā 
Any advice and tips from you guys would be great to hear and massively appreciated!
Ā 
Regards,
Ā 
Rob
Hi Rob where in the Midlands are you

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back