Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First commercial solar clean done

AGlassAct

Just shy of 420 panels over a couple of barn roofs. Estimated 5 days as a worst case scenario due to various access issues but did it in just under 3.

Quite enjoyed myself but I'll be glad to get back to normal next week!

I won't avoid these in the future as it was a lot less hassle than I thought. I've now also realised I can triple DI to get every last drop if use from the resin
4d4578c1984f9c9005fba31459bece5d.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Well done , don't want to be rude but how on earth can you make that pay ? 420 in 3 days that's only 140 per day , ss pays 16 pence per panel , it cannot be viable for the customer if you are charging a day rate . When we were doing farms (ground mounts) we had to do a minimum of 800 per day per man and if you want to earn a reasonable amount 1200 per day was what was needed , we still do farm roof mounts and usually do 600 - 800 per day per man but it's still not good money so will not be renewing the contract as we earn far more on Windows and plastic cleans , and softwashing 

Well done , don't want to be rude but how on earth can you make that pay ? 420 in 3 days that's only 140 per day , ss pays 16 pence per panel , it cannot be viable for the customer if you are charging a day rate . When we were doing farms (ground mounts) we had to do a minimum of 800 per day per man and if you want to earn a reasonable amount 1200 per day was what was needed , we still do farm roof mounts and usually do 600 - 800 per day per man but it's still not good money so will not be renewing the contract as we earn far more on Windows and plastic cleans , and softwashing 
I made it pay by 1: carrying out a full survey including cleaning a test patch of panels to see how long it would take and how much water I would use 2: by doing it on my week off 3: quoted my minimum day rate using the above info for the 5 days as I knew it would be a learning curve and wanted to see if it was a viable option.
Let's just say I more than met my hourly rate even with the small investments I had to make with equipment which I can use again without question; I brought/made - purpose built double DI trolley, 50ltrs of mb115, a harness and lanyard as well as a lifeline system. The company I did it for provided a scaffold tower and crawler boards so I could work as safely as possible until they install a permanent lifeline system and walkway. Will they use me next year to do it? Who knows, it was I nice bonus especially for a week off.
I'm not one to talk about money or hourly rates but to some £140 a day is a perfectly acceptable rate, especially if you don't have the overheads that some do.
I charge the same rate for domestic and commercial - so I'd never dream of cleaning a solar panel for a quid or less, that's bonkers in my eyes!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

£140 per day is that after expenses ? Water , traveling etc Evan if that's after expenses that works out to £17.50 per hour over an 8 hour day you cannot survive as a business earning such a low rate , that's worse than ss pay , I don't want to to cause offence but you arnt doing yourself any favours by working for such poor pay or anyone else doing this type of work . Am I right in thinking that's £1 per panel ? That's good if it is ,but the time taken 3 days spoils a good unit price , ime not knocking what you have done but that's a hard way to earn £140 , working at height awkward access , using fall arrest doing Rams etc we do plastic cleans that take one and a half hours for more than that and it's easy work on the ground . Please don't under sell your self no one should do work for that kind of money as a sole trader . This is the very reason that we stoped doing panels for ss as the pay was so bad and you had to work flat out and hardly covered your costs . We have a minimum charge of £60 for domestic panels (16) done from the ground takes 30 muinits max , this seams to be the avarage price by most people around here , if you don't charge more you would be better just doing windows , 

I haven't mentioned money - never do - why would I when I know of at least 4 local windies that are members on here. I've pretty much got this contract for as long as I want it now. I also don't work 8 hours a day window cleaning - 5 hours, four days a week is plenty for me as a part timer. PJJ - don't stress about me surviving or underselling myself, I'm very happy making 5 days money in under 3 - plus I've already been paid, so it's a couple of fun filled days out with the kids for the rest of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Assumption is the mother of all ....... well you know.

Solar Steve is a living joke and single handedly ruined solar farms for the industry. 

I have a flat rate of £3 per panel and above 100 panels (I only have 3 clients with over 100) I will negotiate an hourly rate. 

£140 per day is £700 per week, less £100 per week for expenses and holiday pay leaves £600 gross, circa £500 nett. Whilst that isn't what I want to achieve, but if he's happy with it who are we to complain. I'm 99% certain that there are a lot of people working harder and longer hours earning not much more than half that amount.

Do you find commercial customers will pay that ? They won't down hear , most will only pay £1 per panel that's why we do very little now , shame really as there are 10 of thousands of the things around me !!!!! 

Do you find commercial customers will pay that ? They won't down hear , most will only pay £1 per panel that's why we do very little now , shame really as there are 10 of thousands of the things around me !!!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock