Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Complaints for cleaning in the rain

Guest colinvansmith

Guest colinvansmith

Hi guys,

Do you guys get complaints from customers for cleaning in the rain, i used to get complaints from customers whilst using trad method all the time. I used to tell them well if i clean them on a sunny day then it rains later that day are they dirty the next day the answer usually is no. Then im like well whats the issue. i think some people just like to see clean dry windows.

I thought when i moved onto wfp that as the windows are left wet anyway that customers would be fine with cleaning in the rain but i still get the same complaints.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

col :)

Took a while till they stopped complaining - now I tell them that it's ok to clean in the rain, but sometimes I don't like getting wet. If however when the windows have dried off they are not completely satisfied give me a call and I will sort it out - still had no calls, though I still get a few "not today it's raining" - which i then say no problem, and tell them that I will give them a call next month - which sometimes shocks them that I won't come back specially for them. My reckoning is that I am bus every day - even 60% yesses is better than none done

Hi guys,

Do you guys get complaints from customers for cleaning in the rain, i used to get complaints from customers whilst using trad method all the time. I used to tell them well if i clean them on a sunny day then it rains later that day are they dirty the next day the answer usually is no. Then im like well whats the issue. i think some people just like to see clean dry windows.

I thought when i moved onto wfp that as the windows are left wet anyway that customers would be fine with cleaning in the rain but i still get the same complaints.

Guest kars

Took a while till they stopped complaining - now I tell them that it's ok to clean in the rain, but sometimes I don't like getting wet. If however when the windows have dried off they are not completely satisfied give me a call and I will sort it out - still had no calls, though I still get a few "not today it's raining" - which i then say no problem, and tell them that I will give them a call next month - which sometimes shocks them that I won't come back specially for them. My reckoning is that I am bus every day - even 60% yesses is better than none done

Hi guys,

very few complaints or refusals. what i tell them is once the blade has passed over the glass the window is clean. whether it rains on it straight away or later on makes no difference to what we do. i do make it clear that we work in the rain when possible and that we do not come back till we are next due to do their windows.

I think what some people believe is that rain itself is not clean as it picks up dirt from the atmosphere etc so in theory they dont feel like they have clean windows. Its a bit like saying " you cleaned my windows today but a dirty great big bird just s**t on it so you will have to come back and do it again"!!! :-/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ag window cleaning

I just say that if I don't come out I don't get paid I have rent to pay and provide for my son. Or if a customer say's don't clean them today I won't clean again carnt

Guest wmwcs

We have a section on our website about cleaning in the rain.

I think the issue is mainly historical from the days of heavy industry and coal fires.

I used to live in a steel making town and when it rained no end of muck came down out of the sky.

Rain washed the air clean and dumped it on the windows.

Now the air is much cleaner there is no logic to not cleaning in the rain.

It is mainly the physical action of the blade, squeegee or pole brush that does the cleaning.

As I put on our website.

"When the fine weather comes you can see all sorts of so called 'window cleaners' 'popping out of the woodwork'. These are the amateurs and cowboys. Beware of them, they often do a poor job and take risks. They are part of the reason why the myth about cleaning windows in the rain has sprung up because these fair weather cleaners just don’t want to get wet."

Guest topcats

We have a section on our website about cleaning in the rain.

I think the issue is mainly historical from the days of heavy industry and coal fires.

I used to live in a steel making town and when it rained no end of muck came down out of the sky.

Rain washed the air clean and dumped it on the windows.

Now the air is much cleaner there is no logic to not cleaning in the rain.

It is mainly the physical action of the blade, squeegee or pole brush that does the cleaning.

As I put on our website.

"When the fine weather comes you can see all sorts of so called 'window cleaners' 'popping out of the woodwork'. These are the amateurs and cowboys. Beware of them, they often do a poor job and take risks. They are part of the reason why the myth about cleaning windows in the rain has sprung up because these fair weather cleaners just don’t want to get wet."

some of my customers complain 'it rained after you cleaned them last time' like I control the weather or something but what did it for me was when i travel 15 - 20 miles to a set of jobs and three or four old biddies come out and say 'not today love it's raining', then I have wasted my time and petrol going there in the first place, so I don't tend to do them jobs on rainy days. where I can I try to save guttering jobs for the rain and or commercial properties. most customers are at work anyway so it doesn't really matter whether it's raining or not. if you use pure water apparantly it strives to return to it's former self so therefore stays cleaner longer raining or not.

Guest wmwcs

This is it. In reality it doesn't really matter whether it is raining or not. In this country it is going to rain at some point between what are usually monthly cleans.

I notice you imply the customers were in the older generation who have lived through the smogs and sooty times. The Black Country was called Black due to the coal soot and grime on everything.

I think it is a misconception that is best rectified otherwise if you get a long spell of rain you can end up skint.

There is other work yes - conservatory and pvcu cleans - better in the rain if anything. Gutters are another one as well as anything commercial. But the bread and butter work will be domestic cleans for most people, so you've just go to get on with it - raining or not.

Worked in the rain Yesterday,Ironic that every time I got in to the car to drive to next job it stopped raining and as soon as I was set up cleaning it chuck it down,I keep a spare towel and T-shirt because there is nothing worse than being wet and stop raining

• 4 months later...
Guest JustWindowCleaning

Worked in the rain Yesterday,Ironic that every time I got in to the car to drive to next job it stopped raining and as soon as I was set up cleaning it chuck it down,I keep a spare towel and T-shirt because there is nothing worse than being wet and stop raining

Good idea. I don't usually work in rain, mostly because I hate it. Some customers don't care, and if thats the case then I have to do it, unless it's dangerous. Spare shirt and towel brilliant..Now why don't I ever think of that when I'm working in the rain??

Yeah I have had this plenty of times before, when I was just starting out I actually, cleaned my windows in heavy rain then inspected them the next day, and they were perfect, however in torrential rain and high winds the windows do tend to be a bit of a mess, not as bad as they would be if they were not cleaned, but not perfect either.

So our policy is that we work in mild conditions. If a customer has any concerns, we advice them that in our experience the current condition will not prevent us cleaning there windows to a high standard, we give them our number and tell them to call us if they look at them the next day and don't think they are cleaned properly.

If a customer tells us not to bother, we explain that we have a strict policy to cancel any account that intermittently uses our service, or cancels a booking without notice. We explain we work in mild conditions, as it doesn't effect the cleaning of the windows, and as it rains over half the year in the west of Scotland, we wouldn't be able to offer our service at all if we only worked when it was dry.

I have only ever lost one or two customers, for this reason, and about 99% of the time customers accept this. In any case it is an unreasonable expectation to ask a window cleaner to only clean windows when it is dry.

This all comes from a misconception causes by a bit of an old wife's tale that every time is rains, that's their windows dirty again. But this is not the case, it will take a month a rain, wind and dust to get there windows as dirty again as they currently are, and not cleaning definitely won't help.

This is definitely a pet hate of mine, I had a customer that I had to go back to once as me not to clean there windows when it was like this, I ask like what, and she said pouring down. I explained I am collecting the money, your windows were done today and it was bone dry with a sun splitting the sky. Then went on to explain our above policy, but I really wanted to ask her, so you don't want your windows done when its raining, you expect me to drive back out to you to collect the money, but not when its raining either?

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.