Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Constant water on?

Hi all

Although I have been working as a windy for over a year next month sees me taking over the business entirely from my father in law so still learning a lot.

I have a tap fitted to my belt for ease of use with the wfp. I was wondering whether people thought it more effective cleaning leaving the tap on a lower pressure throughout the entire cleaning process or alternatively spray the glass, turn water off while scrubbing and then rinse with a higher pressure?  The second way is what I have been taught . Any benefits in water saving or a better finish one way or another?

Another query along the same lines is what kind of on off system people use in general? As I say, I have a lever tap attached to my belt which allows on/off/variable flow which works well for me but always on the lookout to better the system. I have honestly never seen anyone else with a tap lever belt like mine so cant help but think I am not clued up to something or other! 

Rich

Hi all

Although I have been working as a windy for over a year next month sees me taking over the business entirely from my father in law so still learning a lot.

I have a tap fitted to my belt for ease of use with the wfp. I was wondering whether people thought it more effective cleaning leaving the tap on a lower pressure throughout the entire cleaning process or alternatively spray the glass, turn water off while scrubbing and then rinse with a higher pressure?  The second way is what I have been taught . Any benefits in water saving or a better finish one way or another?

Another query along the same lines is what kind of on off system people use in general? As I say, I have a lever tap attached to my belt which allows on/off/variable flow which works well for me but always on the lookout to better the system. I have honestly never seen anyone else with a tap lever belt like mine so cant help but think I am not clued up to something or other! 

Rich
 buy a uni valve mate, best invention for pole work, saves water and a billion times easier

buy a uni valve mate, best invention for pole work, saves water and a billion times easier
TBH I did look at those but they only seem OK if (like the first part of my original post) you constantly leave the tap on. I have a lot of jobs where the pole is fully extended so to keep trying to reach the bottom with one hand while holding a 35ft pole seems awkward at best.

Currently my tap is on my hip so I can safely hold the pole in one hand halfway up the bottom section (as apposed to nearer the bottom) and easily turn on and off as needed. I need to wear a belt but this helps making pulling 100ft of hose around when your using your body.

Like I say, I do think I have a good setup but just always wondering if there is anything better. 

So I assume, if you use the univalve that you leave water running while cleaning? 

yes mate water runs out of brush then quick pull on hose at end of the pole just stops the water flow, another pull and it restarts again, brilliant

TBH I did look at those but they only seem OK if (like the first part of my original post) you constantly leave the tap on. I have a lot of jobs where the pole is fully extended so to keep trying to reach the bottom with one hand while holding a 35ft pole seems awkward at best.

Currently my tap is on my hip so I can safely hold the pole in one hand halfway up the bottom section (as apposed to nearer the bottom) and easily turn on and off as needed. I need to wear a belt but this helps making pulling 100ft of hose around when your using your body.

Like I say, I do think I have a good setup but just always wondering if there is anything better. 

So I assume, if you use the univalve that you leave water running while cleaning

Yes, because that's the best way to clean windows. As you scrub the window the running water flushes away most of the dirt and any left behind is removed with the rinse water.

If you try to dry clean the glass with a wet brush you have more chance of scratching a window with any grit particles. Water is also a lubricant.

You need to look on YouTube as there are countless video clips showing how to wash and rinse a window with wfp.

Water on a good flow and clean away

A lot quicker and easier so saving water in reality as 99% of the rinse is already done while scrubbing

Quick zigzag down the glass and the rinse is done

If you have to let go the pole with one hand to operate the tap on your belt then the only difference is that you tug on the hose with your free hand instead of twist a tap on your belt.  I'd suggest it's a lot easier to do than operate the tap.  

It also rids you of a mass of hose at your feet that is an added trip hazard when the pole isn't fully extended.

The only thing the Univalve won't do is control the amount of flow.  It's only on and off.  You will need to use a controller to control the amount of flow.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the above comments. Trying to save water while cleaning is false economy in a way because the less water you have the harder and longer it will be to clean so will use more water with the extra time. A decent flowrate on for the duration of the entire clean is fastest. And if you're going fast enough, turning the tap on and off regularly will only slow you down.

Don't be stingy with the water and you'll be getting through the work and going home earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the above comments. Trying to save water while cleaning is false economy in a way because the less water you have the harder and longer it will be to clean so will use more water with the extra time. A decent flowrate on for the duration of the entire clean is fastest. And if you're going fast enough, turning the tap on and off regularly will only slow you down.

Don't be stingy with the water and you'll be getting through the work and going home earlier.
On that note what flow rate do people find is right? I have a pure freedom controller 0-99

On that note what flow rate do people find is right? I have a pure freedom controller 0-99

I've found to be able to clean windows effectively I need a good flow on the glass.  I like to run my gear between 80 and 100% flow.  This way I can work quickly and efficiently and actually use less water than when I used to try and save water by running at only 40%.

Back