Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water window cleaning

Doug

Hi

I am pondering whether it is worth an extra £3000 approximately to add hot water to my proposed van solution. I have heard that it cleans better but as it costs quite a lot to run I was wondering if it enables you to do more work in the same time?  Any information or suggestions appreciated.

The other query I have is if you do fairly low mileage overall with short journeys how does it work trying to power electric reels?

thanks

Doug

Lads who have it rave about it, But I have cleaned with cold water for over 9 years and managed absolutely fine.

I have it and it is very good but not worth £3k. If you're doing 10 first cleans and 10 FSG's a week then go for it. Otherwise find a system that pumps TFR, or other degreaser, and rinse with cold water. 

@Doug I missed the electric reel part, If you are only doing short journeys then a split relay is totally pointless as it won't charge the battery, You will need to bench charge the battery overnight I have a Halfords smart charger paid around £40 for it and it's ideal.

Hi

I am pondering whether it is worth an extra £3000 approximately to add hot water to my proposed van solution. I have heard that it cleans better but as it costs quite a lot to run I was wondering if it enables you to do more work in the same time?  Any information or suggestions appreciated.

The other query I have is if you do fairly low mileage overall with short journeys how does it work trying to power electric reels?

thanks

Doug
Don't need to spend 3k. £150 for a fogwash or ecotemp water heater, bottle of propane gas, connectors, done.

I only use mine when the weather gets icy and reeling in and out warm hoses is far easier than stiff cold ones. Warmer on your hands as your grabbing the hose and slightly warms the pole up.

Yes you manage through really cold conditions without hot water, but for under £200, I appreciate my heater ?

I have it and it is very good but not worth £3k. If you're doing 10 first cleans and 10 FSG's a week then go for it. Otherwise find a system that pumps TFR, or other degreaser, and rinse with cold water. 
Thanks Part Timer but what are FSGs and TFR?  Not come across these abbreviations before.

get a gas heater cheeper and only cost £2 a day to run total cost is under £200 to set up i use mine every day summer and winter just cant beat hot for confort and speed of cleaning

Tried both, definitely not worth £3000. Though for that price it's probably a diesel heater connected directly to the tank, so that is quite nice.

I am considering - as others have done - installing an electric heater in the van tank, or circulating the water through a electric heater, and heat it up overnight. Keeps the van warm as well. Guess it's a bit more expensive in use, but no need to lug gas around or deal with exhaust, which can be an issue. 

Thanks everyone. I have been running a pretty much DIY set up having started with one of Peter Fogwill trolley systems in Scotland. I did buy a hot water one too but never used it as it made everything to heavy for my body to deal with. So I am considering going the whole hog and purchasing a two man RO system with hot water into a new van. I have spent the last nine years avoiding expanding but am feeling that it is now what is needed and that this would provide a great foundation upon which to do so.

Hi i  properly have one of the better hot water gas systems. it certainly one of the most expensive . I can 100% say its the biggest waste of money you will spend as a window cleaner. I do windows con roofs gutters sofits  outside. And it makes no difference on anything nor faster or cleaner.  

Hi i  properly have one of the better hot water gas systems. it certainly one of the most expensive . I can 100% say its the biggest waste of money you will spend as a window cleaner. I do windows con roofs gutters sofits  outside. And it makes no difference on anything nor faster or cleaner.  

Interesting reply.

Its all down to personal perception. Some think hot water is the best thing since sliced bread and others, like you, don't see a difference.

Funny that we have found hot water makes life a lot easier and is 25% quicker on really dirty first cleans we use it all year 8 hours a day not cheap to run I accept that but a noticeable difference that I feel is worth the expense , we do lots of plastic cleans and it's about 30% faster on really dry green gutters one pass with the brush and it's off with cold it would take 3-5 oases to achieve the same results faster less water , also on salty windows it's it's a lot quicker and as it dries faster less likely hood of salt runs 

That's the problem unless you go diesel with a frost start built in Your hot water system is worse than useless It will be frozen up And if you let that happen and you have a gas heater that will be ******.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Just stick a £20 oil filled radiator in the back, it's no big deal.

I have my water heater on in the icy conditions and it's much more comfortable to work with I.m.o

I have my water heater on in the icy conditions and it's much more comfortable to work with I.m.o

You will need to do that hot or not

I bought the 9kw ionic hot water machine about 6years ago took it out, it done the job but i personally think that if you don't do builders cleans like I don't there's no need for it, ok it's handy for stubborn bird poo or egg on the glass takes up room and makes van insurance more expensive 

I bought the 9kw ionic hot water machine about 6years ago took it out, it done the job but i personally think that if you don't do builders cleans like I don't there's no need for it, ok it's handy for stubborn bird poo or egg on the glass takes up room and makes van insurance more expensive 
I don't do builders cleans, one offs or anything like that either. I just think £200 and you have lovely warm hoses and poles on a freezing day ?

Back