Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New technology filters, any good?

Yes. Been using them for 5 years now and my 4040 membrane is performing as well as it did when new.

I got concerned when the first 20" carbon block filter I ordered came with a label stating that it had a service life of 2500 gals. In US terms that's approx 10000 liters which includes waste and pure.

In those days 3 of us were using around 26000 liters of tap water a month. (I have a sub water meter on my r/o.) At a 50/50 waste to pure water ratio we used about 13000 liters of pure a month. This meant I only had to replace the Fiberdyne carbon block every 3 months where I would have to replace the ordinary one every 10 days following the manufacturers specifications.

@doug atkinsononce said that the further your water supply is from a water authority treatment center the weaker the chlorine content is in your water. So this might explain why some cleaners, using cheap carbon block filters with a 'poor' service life, still only replaced their prefilters every 3 months with no damage occurring to their membrane/s.

Of course, the question that one would then ask is how the manufacturers can put a service life on their product without knowing the chlorine content of our water. I don't know the answer to that, but I would think that they would spec their product on the maximum permissible chlorine content needed for the delivery of safe water to our taps.

So if the actual chlorine content in our water is half that then theoretically my Fiberdyne filter could last twice as long.

I don't get worked up when the 75,700 liter limit expires. I will change my prefilters at the next convenient time, so it could extend to 78,000 liters. I think is went past 80,000 liters once.

Honestly, for the membrane to have done the amount of work it has and be performing this well after 5 years I'm more than happy to recommend this filter.

There are suppliers that sell a 1 micron carbon block filter with a much longer service life. I tried one but found that it clogged up with sediment long before its service life was achieved. This was despite using a sediment prefilter. The reason is the the sediment filter is a 5 micron so any particles between 5 and 1 micron will pass through the sediment filter but be trapped by the carbon block. The Fiberdyne is a 5 micron filter, so what passes through the first sediment filter will pass through the Fiberdyne filter as well.

Our water is laden with sediment and I often have to change the sediment filter each month as its full of trapped matter. But at 76,000 liters the carbon block always looks new.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using these on my 10" Collins' 450 gpd and noticed a very slight iquicker fill time or could just be that the temperature as helped. 

P.s, I only use this one filter now instead of the three filter previously used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better off spending extra recently switched to these, One thing to note and I maybe wrong last year we didn't have much rain at all and I had my pre-filters in for longer than I should have without issue, But this year loads more rain my tds spiked pre-filters when changed felt like they had been down the beach really gritty so I assume more rain equals to more sediment in the water. 

I have been using these on my 10" Collins' 450 gpd and noticed a very slight iquicker fill time or could just be that the temperature as helped. 

P.s, I only use this one filter now instead of the three filter previously used.
Better off using a sediment filter and a carbon filter even if a soft water area which I am. 

Better off spending extra recently switched to these, One thing to note and I maybe wrong last year we didn't have much rain at all and I had my pre-filters in for longer than I should have without issue, But this year loads more rain my tds spiked pre-filters when changed felt like they had been down the beach really gritty so I assume more rain equals to more sediment in the water. 

We had a water main burst in our cul de sac a couple of months back. It was of concern to me as we are the last house at the end of that main.

When speaking to one of the supervisors overseeing the repair he advised that although they draw water from Kilder as their main supply, they also have numerous local dams that they also draw water from that they had back in the days before Kilder. So the catchment area can influence the tds of the water they deliver. One of our local supply dams is the Lockwood Beck Reservoir. I asked if they drew water from these small reservoirs where there treatment works were. I wanted to know where the chlorine dosing station was. He didn't know.

There are numerous little sewerage treatment works around but I have no idea where the main water supply treatment works are. I've asked but it seems to be a guarded secret. Maybe they are worried that I might want to sabotage it or something.

It could well be. We noticed a big difference in production time with our 450gpd with water temperature.

Thats the thing you just never know but my theory was if we have had some heavy downpours which brings more sediment into the water over a period of time. In years gone by i never changed my pre-filters for almost 9 months and was still producing 000 pure and never changed my membranes in over 4 years and still produced 000 pure. 

But these days more so this past year I am more careful, Well now I am after having to change 3 membranes costing just over£100

Better off using a sediment filter and a carbon filter even if a soft water area which I am. 
Pointless every time I have changed my filters the prefilter looks brand new no sediment whatsoever clean as a whistle quiet happy to used the gardiner fiberdyne on its own.

Did you just bypass the filters then? Looking to put then on my Collins 300gpd

No just left the first two vessels empty, think Dave B took the first two vessels of his set up though.

Mine is booked and delivery due on Monday, pity it's not here for the weekend so I could have a play around and test things but looking forward all the same. Love new kit however boring my wife seams to think it is. Also booked a Gardiner backpack and a few fittings, happy days!

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

My son as used the gardiner backpack on a trolley for a year until recent he now has a purefreedom nano trolley, the backpack still works perfectly just easier with the nano  and I often use the backpack myself myself, hope you like them. 

Pointless every time I have changed my filters the prefilter looks brand new no sediment whatsoever clean as a whistle quiet happy to used the gardiner fiberdyne on its own.
Thing is as above across the course of year anything could happen depending on were the water is drawn from, For the sake of £2.50 I would rather have a separate sediment filter as well as I am lazy and forgetful when it comes to keeping an eye on things as i should. 

If I thought necessary I would use one but they are design to be a prefilter as well, my tds is quite high 270 - 300 granted but l have no sediment whatsoever,  you can get bundles of prefilter for next to nothing but why have two prefilters installed? just not needed in my case and probably lots of others,  also can only give my experience with my water supply, yours is very obviously different to where I live. Below is off  gardiner website, I recommend anyone that is not 100% sure to contact Alex Gardiner. 

But if you live next door to me the fiberdyne works perfect on its own as described by their website.

High Performance Pre-Filter replaces up to 6 standard pre-filters

Simply replace all 3 of your pre-filters with this single pre-filter and watch it last up to 2x longer

5-10 micron rating - suitable for all RO systems

Superior dirt-holding with low pressure drops

Resistant to premature plugging - lasting up to 2x longer than economy carbon blocks

37,800 litre life

Fits all standard 10" Filter Housings

I have got the filter that this post is about, Just thought I would be extra cautious even though my tds ranges between around 42-65ppm

So I stuck my new filter in this morning. My tds after resin previously  was 1 and with the new filter it's 0. Is this normal?? How can it have lowered with a new filter

So I stuck my new filter in this morning. My tds after resin previously  was 1 and with the new filter it's 0. Is this normal?? How can it have lowered with a new filter
 I have a theory but could easily be corrected so here goes, previously I was using Collins water products filters which consists of a prefilter and two carbon filters my thinking is that the water only passing thou the one filter instead of three and in effect more water pressure going into membrane could easy be wrong though. 

I  did think that there was a slight increase on fill time into my Ibc tank.

Latest Posts

Back