Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin question

Corps012588

I refilled my 4.5l di vessel on Monday just gone and it's already reading 0.001ppm on my tds meter.

I've run about 900l of water through it at around 45 ppm.

Does this sound typical or am I not getting what I should expect from the resin?

Thanks in advance

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If you use the resin calculator you should get about 16 weeks out of a 25kg bag of resin, on the basis of using 1000 litres a week.

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/resin-calculator.html

I regularly check my tap water as it can vary drastically, from low 300's to low 400's. If yours varies by 30% then your resin usage will also increase. I wouldn't worry about an 0.01 TDS, only consider changing resin once it gets over 0.04

Last edited by a moderator:
Might want to try a bigger vessel will last a lot longer at 0 ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Sorry to jump on your thread but it is related ,

I have a double Di setup currently

Tds from tap 120-130

I started with just 1 11L di which is placed after pump and always came out 001
after reading here double di sounded great to prolong my resin life so when my tds was creeping 005-007 from the 1st vessel I added the second di with brand new resin but my tds is 002 ???

Surely I would get 000 if first di comes out 007 second will have less work to do ???

Or have I done something wrong ??

Sorry to jump on your thread but it is related ,

I have a double Di setup currently

Tds from tap 120-130

I started with just 1 11L di which is placed after pump and always came out 001
after reading here double di sounded great to prolong my resin life so when my tds was creeping 005-007 from the 1st vessel I added the second di with brand new resin but my tds is 002 ???

Surely I would get 000 if first di comes out 007 second will have less work to do ???

Or have I done something wrong ??

My first though was the tds meter. Where did you buy it from?

If water is passing through new resin then it has to be pure. The only other question is a fault on the internal riser tubes and baskets.

Water comes into the vessel at the top, filters down through the resin and exits through the center tube at the bottom, up the tube and out of the top. If the center tube has become detached when assembling the unit after a resin change, the water will take a short cut at the top and bypass the resin.

When refilling a vessel with new resin we then fill the vessel with water. That makes it easier to insert the riser tubes and baskets.

That's exactly what I do when I refill. I fill with resin to the shoulder then pour in some water. This usually enables me to put a little bit more resin in the vessel too as the water helps it settle.
Out of curiosity is it possible to put too much resin in?!

I've just ordered a 2nd vessel as I do find it wasteful how much resin I end up throwing away that could be used as a pre filter.
Now I read a while ago that totally spent resin can give a really high tds reading and I did experience this myself.
My tap water is around 45 ppm but after running through spent resin I was getting a reading of 70 and more. I posted about it on here. Could this also happen with a twin DI setup and knacker the new resin in the 2nd vessel?

I've just ordered a 2nd vessel as I do find it wasteful how much resin I end up throwing away that could be used as a pre filter.
Now I read a while ago that totally spent resin can give a really high tds reading and I did experience this myself.
My tap water is around 45 ppm but after running through spent resin I was getting a reading of 70 and more. I posted about it on here. Could this also happen with a twin DI setup and knacker the new resin in the 2nd vessel?

Back