Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working Hours

Gazz

Just wondering what is the typically working hours/days for most of you guys. I know some start at 8am, others 9am. But would that only be considered fine on a weekday?

I work from around 10am and mix my days from weekdays to weekends and have time off from rain or just simply wanting a day off. If i was perhaps WFP I could work in the rain no problem I assume.

I'm starting to get into a bad routine because I'm a fresh window cleaner and believe I need to start acting like I have a big run before I become overwhelmed. Work is picking up and quite alot of the time I'm falling behind with first cleans and rain.

Just wondering what is the typically working hours/days for most of you guys. I know some start at 8am, others 9am. But would that only be considered fine on a weekday?

I work from around 10am and mix my days from weekdays to weekends and have time off from rain or just simply wanting a day off. If i was perhaps WFP I could work in the rain no problem I assume.

I'm starting to get into a bad routine because I'm a fresh window cleaner and believe I need to start acting like I have a big run before I become overwhelmed. Work is picking up and quite alot of the time I'm falling behind with first cleans and rain.
i work from around 8am to 4.30pm mon-fri and i work in the rain unless its really heavy. I'm trad 100%

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Brilliant it's helpful to know what other cleaners are doing when there rounds are full. I'm probably 25% of the way right now. 

In terms of clothing for being out. What would you wear?I wear a water proof jacket and end drenched in sweat, not rain lol.

Do Your customers care if you clean in the rain?

9am - 4pm if I'm solely on houses, start much earlier if I have commercial stuff and adjust my finish time to suit. Will work evenings/weekends on commercial stuff to suit myself if I'm behind or want to get ahead...

I wear a polo shirt and shorts all summer, have a sweatshirt and dark jeans in the winter, and just a light weight jacket for light showers or an extra layer when it starts getting cold. A pair of good quality light and water proof boots which have made the biggest improvement to my day to day comfort at work...

I'll clean in light showers or drizzle, try to avoid heavy downpours, but that's just because I don't like getting wet! Customers are fine with me cleaning in the rain, all my work is guaranteed if they aren't happy with the result I'll clean it again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
drops kids at school, back to pick them up, Saturdays start at 8, done by 2. Work in most weathers, kids go to bed at 1930, 1 hr admin then I'm done. In the rain i tend to wear either goretex, or recently as its warmer a cotton hoody with army issue trousers, but no t shirt. Keep t shirt in car, if it stops raining hoody off, tshirt on and if it starts again swap back. Skins waterproof. Trousers dry in 10 mins anyway.

I should start going to work like I'm incredibly busy that means by the time I become full I'll already be used to it.

Aiming to start on the glass between 8am-9am.

Thanks guys 

A decent workwear waterproof like a Dewalt coat for £50.00 works well enough for me.

I wear shorts all year round and a polo shirt mostly and just put a jacket on when needed rain doesn't really bother me I just crack on if not to heavy.

But I wouldn't work in any rain as a tradder as ladder is to slippy and paving etc can be as well.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

8 until 6 this last friday and saturday as had big jobs on

I used to try and start late and leave home at 9 bit now am starting around 8 as i have a lot of work on

I like to have done 200 by 2 the latest so then i can go home

Generally I seem to work 9-2/3

Can get plenty done in that time, 10 mins for lunch and working at a brisk pace all day. About 2pm I'm getting tired and bored and ready for home

That said I'm still building my round so plans are to eventually be 8:30-4 that will coincide with the shortest days in winter. 

Dont work weekends at all as have kids to look after and I like my hobby too much, if I get to the point of of not getting everything done mon-Fri I will know it's time to look at employing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an early bird. Always start at 5 on a Monday on shops. Most days I have a commercial to start the day. Only 3 days a month do I have just houses and then I'm on the first one by 7.30!!  I cleaned 3 primary schools last week. Usually cleaning by 6. Get em done!!

I'm an early bird. Always start at 5 on a Monday on shops. Most days I have a commercial to start the day. Only 3 days a month do I have just houses and then I'm on the first one by 7.30!!  I cleaned 3 primary schools last week. Usually cleaning by 6. Get em done!!

Would love to do this but don't have the work to do it...I've been waking up at 6 all summer..too light to sleep. Then sit around for a couple of hours waiting to go

Would love to do this but don't have the work to do it...I've been waking up at 6 all summer..too light to sleep. Then sit around for a couple of hours waiting to go
It's brilliant mate. Just set the alarm. Cuppa and get out. No traffic. Park easy. And get a £100 under your belt while half the windys are still fiddling with their poles and water etc. trad ere remember !! Lol

It's brilliant mate. Just set the alarm. Cuppa and get out. No traffic. Park easy. And get a £100 under your belt while half the windys are still fiddling with their poles and water etc. trad ere remember !! Lol

Good idea really, get a few commercial jobs to start early every day then onto domestics and an early finish. 

Good idea really, get a few commercial jobs to start early every day then onto domestics and an early finish. 
Yep. Starting at 5 tomorrow. And 6 on Tuesday and wed(another school wed) Thursday its 7.30. Houses all day. Don't usually do more than 3 days a week but got that school so puts me behind a day

I'm still in the pub, 5 to 9.30 shift. Big zzz's till 8. Got 2 jobs tomorrow, 3 hours on the glass then back to normal 

Back