Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Max hose length on a backpack?

con95a

Hi there, I'm currently traditional but hoping to cut out most of the ladders by using a backpack and jerry cans out the car.

I have a Gardiner V3 backpack, and I believe the pump is about 70psi.

My idea was to attach backpack to a hose reel and then attach to pole so that I could leave backpack in the car and still reach around the backs of houses.

But not sure how that pump would handle a length of hose.

What's the longest I could probably go and what size hose would be best, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm ID etc?

Appreciate any advice, as I'm new to all of this [emoji106]?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I did it with 100m of hose on a reel connected to gardiner backpack but it died just after the warranty ended

I reckon it was the strain of the length of hose that did it

You will get used to how much water you need and only fill enough for the job

What i started doing before going van mount was dumping it by the side gate with 30m of hose and doing the whole house without moving it

I did it with 100m of hose on a reel connected to gardiner backpack but it died just after the warranty ended
I reckon it was the strain of the length of hose that did it
You will get used to how much water you need and only fill enough for the job
What i started doing before going van mount was dumping it by the side gate with 30m of hose and doing the whole house without moving it

Thanks Dave, what size was your hose? I've read around on the forum that smaller hoses put more strain on the pump?

Connor

Wouldn't you use half the water by the time you reached the far side of the house or can you use one of those pull valve things to start and stop it? Would that work with a backpack? I have the V3 pack. Bought myself a pair of those seatbelt pads to attach to the straps for comfort. I am a pretty big guy though so even full it is not that heavyfor me to wear. 

Wouldn't you use half the water by the time you reached the far side of the house or can you use one of those pull valve things to start and stop it? Would that work with a backpack? I have the V3 pack. Bought myself a pair of those seatbelt pads to attach to the straps for comfort. I am a pretty big guy though so even full it is not that heavyfor me to wear. 

Yeah I've got a univalve fitted to the pole so I can just turn water on when around the back. I'm not the largest of people so I think I'd get tired fairly quickly, plus my lower back not the strongest so don't think wearing the thing would do me any good! The idea of leaving in the car with a longer hose was simply so I haven't got to lug the backpack on trolley about, just park up near a few houses and work away.

Connor

Backpack on a trolley with 15m of reinforced pole hose and 15m pu pole hose my son used this for a year never missed a beat still works perfect, he has now upgraded to pure freedom nano great alternative to a wfp trolley. 

IMG_0061.JPG

Backpack on a trolley with 15m of reinforced pole hose and 15m pu pole hose my son used this for a year never missed a beat still works perfect, he has now upgraded to pure freedom nano great alternative to a wfp trolley. 
View attachment 10956

That's very much like the setup I currently have waiting (bought the backpack a while ago and water production problems put me off so stayed trad until now) except only have 30m of standard yellow pole hose. I find it kinks and curls a lot though. Do you reckon 60m of hose would work or would the backpack struggle?

Connor

Both the hoses don't kink which is good, have only used 30m so can only comment on that with experience, I reckon 50m  microbore and 10m pu pole hose for your univalve would be ok even though l haven't tried it myself. 

Once you get used to it with a tap on the hose or univalve i can do 2 average houses with a backpack full

Water conservation is the key

With a backpack with such little hose a tap is just as good as a univalve as i would have the tap in my hand while using the pole

Once you get used to it with a tap on the hose or univalve i can do 2 average houses with a backpack full
Water conservation is the key
With a backpack with such little hose a tap is just as good as a univalve as i would have the tap in my hand while using the pole

Initially I'm planning to just clean tops WFP as my other half helps me with bottoms, so water wise I should have plenty, and after I'm used to things I'll start cleaning bottom windows where they are a pain (high/bays). What flow rate do you use on the back pack?

Connor

I've gradually evolved my system to suit my needs, but some might find bits useful. I use a cut down sack barrow with pneumatic tyres, the top did lever forwards because it didn't fit in one of the vans I had. It has a sureflo trolley pump, Yuasa gel battery ( easy to remove to change or charge). Cheap speed controller from China. 8 mm hose on an old electric cable reel. If anyone wants more detailed pics just ask.IMG_0675.JPGIMG_0676.JPGIMG_0677.JPG

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I've gradually evolved my system to suit my needs, but some might find bits useful. I use a cut down sack barrow with pneumatic tyres, the top did lever forwards because it didn't fit in one of the vans I had. It has a sureflo trolley pump, Yuasa gel battery ( easy to remove to change or charge). Cheap speed controller from China. 8 mm hose on an old electric cable reel. If anyone wants more detailed pics just

Very nice, how have you attached the cable reel to the trolley, is it free to spin?

Connor

Yeah I've got a univalve fitted to the pole so I can just turn water on when around the back. I'm not the largest of people so I think I'd get tired fairly quickly, plus my lower back not the strongest so don't think wearing the thing would do me any good! The idea of leaving in the car with a longer hose was simply so I haven't got to lug the backpack on trolley about, just park up near a few houses and work away.

Connor

Suggest a good trolley is best option

Back