Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need advice on pure water production!

con95a

So in short, currently trad but hoping to start using WFP as much as possible from car as soon as possible.

I've got a backpack, pole, and 25l jerry cans.

But can't decide what RO system to get.

My plan is to purify water into large 1000 litre IBC tank in garden, then pump into jerry cans with cheap submersible pump.

Reason for such big tank is so I can 80% fill it and return to refill jerry cans if need be during day, or just have enough water for the week.

Will probably use a lot at first as all my round will need first WFP clean.

Work two full days of completely residential atm.

Need RO as water is about 300ppm.

Do I get an RO that could fill the IBC tank in one day or so and only use it once a week, or get a lower rated one and fill it over a few days?

Which R.O would last longer?

Water pressure is decent, need to find out exactly what the psi is though.

If that all makes sense, what advice can you offer? I'll appreciate any feedback

Many thanks!

Connor

Just to give you an idea. I have a 150 gpd r.o and I fill my 500l tank with it 5 days a week. Admittedly it's not always empty. I probably  use 400l a day average

Just to give you an idea. I have a 150 gpd r.o and I fill my 500l tank with it 5 days a week. Admittedly it's not always empty. I probably  use 400l a day average

Thanks buddy that's really helpful. I imagine I'll use near a similar amount. Do you know roughly how long it takes then in hours to fill about 400/500 litres?

Connor

It depends on how much water you need  to produce. I use about 250 litres per day and have 3x100gpd membranes, so a 300gpd RO. Admittedly the water pressure isn't too good where I am. 

It depends on how much water you need  to produce. I use about 250 litres per day and have 3x100gpd membranes, so a 300gpd RO. Admittedly the water pressure isn't too good where I am. 

Well I reckon to be begin with I want to have 400 litres available for 2 consecutive days, maybe 3 sometimes, but hope that'll drop to more like 200 each day once I'm on maintenance cleans.
As I'll produce into a IBC tank I can prepare all the water in advance, just trying to get an idea of how long it'll take me to fill it.

Connor

Thanks buddy that's really helpful. I imagine I'll use near a similar amount. Do you know roughly how long it takes then in hours to fill about 400/500 litres?

Connor

Roughly, erm maybe 15 hours. put it on about 3pm when i get home and next morning tanks full and ready for work

its on a timer so i can set it to turn off at any time i choose during the night.

i am pretty good at guessing how long to leave it on (check how full tank is before i go to bed) to brim the tank without overfilling it.

Ideally a ball penis auto shut off would help, but as said i can guess pretty well these days and rarely overfill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started off with 300 gpd ro from ro man. My water pressure is around 60 psi. To be honest the production speed was never that great and in the winter even slower 12 hours to make 200 liters of pure ! You can get loads of cheap ro units on ebay however these are mainly suitable for aquariums. Have a look on www.daqua.co.uk they offer a great service and will help you with any problems you may have. I would go for the 450 gpd unit they have It maybe a bit more than you want to spend but would serve you well for what you kneed.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If you are filling an IBC tank (1000 liters) it will take what appears to be a life time to fill it. We estimated that it took about 28 hours in summer to keep the IBC tank full (36 hours in winter when the water is colder.) We never drained it as we could never empty the tank completely as the pump would suck air with about 150 liters left.

But once you have the proverbial dam full, then you will have a buffer and will always have sufficient water for your daily needs. We had a 450GPD and it supported 2 of us with a little planning. We also had an auto shutoff so the tank switched off automatically when full.

I have a cheap 150gpd ro setup,  which fills a 200l barrel lying down,  so maybe 180l when full. It takes out 24 hours.  Worked perfectly with my previous 8x25l barrel setup if I filled he barrels when I came home from work. 

Now I just installed a 350l tank in my van, and the static system is not large enough. Therefore I bought two 200l barrels for a total of 600l static storage.

I do have a 1000l tank but I can't seem to get the oily residue in it out, and the smaller barrels fit through the door to the basement so I can have the system indoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to know what your tap tds is also, If you were buying a brand new RO then http://daqua.co.uk is the place to buy from @doug atkinson is a top guy and will be able to best advise you if you need to speak to someone directly, I have a 450gpd RO from daqua and its more than I need but it serves me well. 

Iron Giant, I'm looking at getting this 450 gpd RO from Daqua, is this the same system you have? My tap water TDS is between 43 and 50 what would the TDS come out the RO and is there allot of water wastage? 

image.png

That is about right pricewise but Doug at Daqua will look after you if any issues or advice needed

Any idea Dave the TDS reading I would get with this RO with my tap TDS, and what water wastage would I be looking at? Also could I just use a simple float valve on my IBC to cut the water off using one of these? 

You should get a rejection rate of about 97% if it's all running fine so 3% of the input tds should be what it comes out the other end at

So for 50ppm in it should be 2 ish out

Waste is usually 50/50 - 60/40 so around 1l waste to 1l pure ish

If you are happy cleaning above 0ppm you wouldn't even need a di with 2ppm unless you want 0 just to be 100% sure

Back