Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reducing snags

Den

Found this on another  forum a while back and thought I would give it a try, might hopefully help with reducing snags for the o rings, it's a rubbery plastic starts of as granules you pour in hot water then they become soft so you can mould into any shape, haven't tried it out yet will give an update after a couple of days. 

image.jpg

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Not one snag today the plastic coating is either working or just a lucky day, the plastic as changed colour overnight must be the cooling effect.

IMG_0420.JPG

Another update defo with doing only snag I got today was the pole hose getting stuck in deck slots nothing to do with the connectors very happy and really recommend anyone that as a tubeless setup.

For the sake of a fiver defo worth doing a guy on another forum posted photos of his setup so I copied glad I did,  I have either been lucky or It works great, don't think I have ever done a day without getting snagged on something before using the polymorph.

Cheers Den, snagging is the "BANE" of my work day mate and your solution is gonna make our lives at work so much more bearable. Thanks in advance mate [emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Oh yeah noticed from your pics that you've got power reels? I av 2 myself m8, couldn't live without 'em, how anyone copes winding in by hand??!! Is anyone's guess in my book.

Oh yeah noticed from your pics that you've got power reels? I av 2 myself m8, couldn't live without 'em, how anyone copes winding in by hand??!! Is anyone's guess in my book.

Really lol

Turn handle a bit.. hose comes in.. simples

Years ago we even used to carry ladders and a bucket not just pull a bit of hose round ?

Haven't had my electric reel long but I love it especially having a dicky shoulder makes life loads easier for me,  like I say I only copied the polymorph of another windie just like the electric reel and univalve glad I'm a copy cat lol.

Really lol
Turn handle a bit.. hose comes in.. simples
Years ago we even used to carry ladders and a bucket not just pull a bit of hose round [emoji23]

Mate when you do the volume of work we do (an maybe you do?) ya don't wanna b arsed winding in hoses by hand! Trust me. Far to time consuming an time is money after all. An I ain't bein funny mate an I don't know if u meant anything by it other than joking around but I've been on the glass since I was 17 an I'm nearly 48 now so I've carried ladders an done me time with traditional way before pure water was ever around. Mind you I'd never go back to trad as I think personally pole fed is far better an for me nearly twice as quick an again time is money.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I was joking about and have been cleaning since 1991 when i was 16

I have a manual reel but it doesn't bother me but i spend a lot of time in the gym though so see it as more exercise 

As for trad i have it in my blood and can still trad bottoms as quick as i can wfp them when i feel like it

Around 30 to 40 seconds for 100m hope I don't start Getting get thumbs problems like my shoulder lol, seriously I think over a course of the day the electric is a lot faster well in my limited experience anyway, it's one of them things you don't appreciate until you try them like a univalve for example. 

So I did this by hand with some thermoplastic, and the result was a bit meh. I used way too much plastic and it came out lumpy and too long. I also did the brilliant move of reeling the hose in while the plastic was a bit soft so it came out crooked.

Then it occured to me I have a 3D printer.

15 minutes of designing and 30 minutes of printing later I had a simple mould.

20170904_145701.jpg

I filled the mould with pellets twice over, which was a good amount. Put it in water, massaged the pellets a bit and split it in two, one for each side of the coupling. (My coupling have some vulcanizing tape on). The screws are for aligning the mold. I only used two.

A few vices hold it in place.

20170904_150226.jpg

The mould was, as predicted, a one off. Since the plastic I used (PLA) gets soft at 60C, it bonded to the thermoplastic a bit, and had to be forced off. If I spent a bit more time on the design of the mould it could have come off much cleaner.

20170904_155712.jpg

Here the coupling is straight out of the mold. You can see the thermoplastic penetrated the 3D printed part in some areas.

20170904_155720.jpg

I hit it with a heat gun a bit and it came out pretty smooth.

20170904_160237.jpg

I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it holds up.

3D files available for free upon request, they are not cleaned up yet.

Nice one Nudel, I reckon you will be happy I still get odd snag but no where as many.

report back after a day or two with your experiences.

So I've used it for about a month now, and it really made my days easier. Snags are less common, but mostly when reeling in.

I did the mistake of not cutting off the end of my pole hose, as the last 50cm are very worn and stretchy, so it snags almost as much as before when reeling out. The taper towards the smaller hose diameter should probably be a bit longer to work better and kink less.

All in all a good modification I can recommend to everyone. 

Yip defo worth doing, noticed mine the other day getting a little worn that's after a couple of months, but the polymorph is so cheap £5 worth will last me a lifetime lol.

Back