Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin before RO

RyeCleanLiam

After a bit of advice. I've built up a bit of knowledge now about RO's how they work and the General set up, mainly through this forum and google lol one of my Window Cleaning friends has just bought an RO System and he couldn't get the TDS below 6ppm. He brought it round for me to have a look and the resin vessel was at the start of the system, so the tap water went through the resin first, then pre filters then membranes. Anyone else seen this before? He said the company he bought it from told him this system worked opposite to others so he reckons that's how it should be set up but for me it doesn't seem right to have resin first. Any opinions welcome!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hey Liam :1f44d: Never heard of a set up like that. I can't think how it can possibly be right. If it's going through the resin first then it should be 0ppm before even entering the RO until the resin is exhausted which wouldn't take long. It's probably 6ppm as the resin has probably already been used up with the tap water and 6ppm is probably what's coming out of the RO normally.

No way there's any advantage to that- gotta be a mistake in my opinion.

R/O's remove approx 95% of solids. If the TDS is 7ppm then it will only drop to approximately 5ppm. If the TDS is 300ppm then it should drop to circa 10ppm if put through R/O first, then 0 after resin. 

Whoever told him that it works the other way sold him a duff R/O

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Liam :1f44d:Never heard of a set up like that. I can't think how it can possibly be right. If it's going through the resin first then it should be 0ppm before even entering the RO until the resin is exhausted which wouldn't take long. It's probably 6ppm as the resin has probably already been used up with the tap water and 6ppm is probably what's coming out of the RO normally.
No way there's any advantage to that- gotta be a mistake in my opinion.
Yeh that's what I thought too, but when I inspected it there didn't seem to be any other way to set it up. There was 3 vessels before the membranes and the first vessel had no filter in like it is meant to put resin in. I ended up giving him a spare resin vessel I had to put after the RO and we took the resin out of that first one, as soon as we did that it came out 000 ppm. His TDS out of his RO before resin was 28 so where the 6 ppm had come from I don't know lol

Yeh that's what I thought too, but when I inspected it there didn't seem to be any other way to set it up. There was 3 vessels before the membranes and the first vessel had no filter in like it is meant to put resin in. I ended up giving him a spare resin vessel I had to put after the RO and we took the resin out of that first one, as soon as we did that it came out 000 ppm. His TDS out of his RO before resin was 28 so where the 6 ppm had come from I don't know lol

Very strange. Maybe the resin in the first chamber wasn't completely gone and was bringing it down to below six. 28 is very high coming out of the RO membranes though. Is there a prefilter missing? Usually they have 3 (sediment, carbon, chloro) or the newer single one that does all.

R/O's remove approx 95% of solids. If the TDS is 7ppm then it will only drop to approximately 5ppm. If the TDS is 300ppm then it should drop to circa 10ppm if put through R/O first, then 0 after resin. 
Whoever told him that it works the other way sold him a duff R/O
Yes this is what I thought, he has bought this System brand new. I just wanted to check if anyone else had a system with resin before RO in case it was something I hadn't heard of!

Very strange. Maybe the resin in the first chamber wasn't completely gone and was bringing it down to below six. 28 is very high coming out of the RO membranes though. Is there a prefilter missing? Usually they have 3 (sediment, carbon, chloro) or the newer single one that does all.
I think I've solved it. You aren't going to believe this. Basically it should have 3 pre filters like you said. What happened he set the system going and couldn't get the TDS below 25. He rang the company up he bought it from and told them and the guy he spoke to on the phone told him to take the carbon filter out and put resin in and use that as his resin vessel (words fail me). He then came to me having removed the sediment filter and putting in his resin, hence why I was perplexed. So basically he got bad advice from the company he bought it from! A company from Sheffield as it happens [emoji23]
I've told him to put his sediment filter back in and keep the resin chamber I have him lol and your right 28 isn't great, I think he may need to flush it a bit longer as it's new, plus he is getting a booster pump as his water pressure is 40 psi!

If it's not been a great company so far then maybe he didn't get good instructions with it- like did he know you need to flush new prefilters first separately so they don't damage the RO membranes? 40psi isn't great but even so 28ppm is too high- Sounds like they're either poor quality or slightly damaged possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back