Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shoulder/back pain

M

Matt Cook

Hi guys I'm fairly new to wfp, im getting some serious pain at the base of my neck/top of spine especially when doing top Windows going side to side??? I've tried all different hand positions and stretching etc before and nothing helps so far.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

i think it happens to everyone... 

Might help if you start the day by spending ten mins doing stretches..

I used to have to do this everyday when I worked in construction as part of health and safety at tool box talks..

They also put us through a lot of muscoskeletal training as well during site induction training.

There are those glasses that stop you having to look upwards and the lighter your pole the better I switched from fibre glass to carbon and it does help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it happens to everyone... 

Might help if you start the day by spending ten mins doing stretches..
I used to have to do this everyday when I worked in construction as part of health and safety at tool box talks..

They also put us through a lot of muscoskeletal training as well during site induction training.

There are those glasses that stop you having to look upwards and the lighter your pole the better I switched from fibre glass to carbon and it does help. 

Cheers I'm using a 30ft carbon

Maybe try going the gym and doing light weights to strengthen up your muscles couple of sessions a week. Certain exercises should defo help.. 

The only other thing is it takes time for your body to get used to new activity i.e - if I was to go and do a days scaffolding I would be worn out the following day but if I kept doing it it gets used to it..

Hi guys I'm fairly new to wfp, im getting some serious pain at the base of my neck/top of spine especially when doing top Windows going side to side??? I've tried all different hand positions and stretching etc before and nothing helps so far.

I've used to get a bit of pain there but not too bad as I switched to wfp slowly. And it's gone completely now.

I found that it helps if you stand further back from the windows when doing upstairs as then you aren't looking up at such an acute angle. Do you wear glasses btw?

So things to consider and change.

(1) If you don't need to be using a 30ft pole all day every day then take 2 sections off the bottom of the or buy a smaller pole.

(2) If you are using a brick of a brush like a vikan, X-line or a sill brush which really isn't needed on regular cleans. Then get a lighter brush like a Gardiners Ultimate which weighs 180g.

Good shout, no don't wear glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I was using a much heavier pole than needed for to long. So bought a Xterme nearly 2 years ago. Made a big difference for me then last year a bought a heavier brush that every one was raving about because my shoulders were fine it didn't take long for my shoulders to start aching again.

I visited the chiropractor every 6 months xmas and summer holidays to straighten the body up, r game is hard on the body, don't want to be paying the price in the r later years

I use an Extreme-22 & it it makes a massive difference compared to my old CLX-22. If you can't afford an Extreme pole go for an SLX.

Also get yourself a CLX-10. I find this useful for bungalows and conservatories. Sometimes I'll clean the tops one way with the Extreme-22 & clean the bottoms the other way with the CLX-10.

Also try swapping hands occasionally, if you're right handed you will put more strain on your left shoulder & vice-versa. I also wear a baseball cap with the peak low down which forces me to move my eyes upwards (rather then my neck) when cleaning upstairs windows.

I think most people go through this back/shoulder pain but it should resolve itself if you adjust your way of working.

I get crazy headaches every week, start from my neck ends up at front:-( doc says tension headaches, could be caused by looking up all the time lol

Latest Posts

Back