Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sub contracting info / help please

Portsmouth Tom

Good evening everyone, 

I have seen a lot of comments on here about CAPS that have stopped paying a lot of companies, but my question is, there must be a lot of companies like them that offer sub contracting, which I would like to get in to but for the life of me cant find any on line, unless im inputting incorrect search terms. 

I have a reasonable sized domestic round and some commercial but would also like some sub contract work, even if just for a year, I get that the payments may be lower than if I got such clients myself, but im aiming to sub for a year and use that money for marketing and advertising of my domestic area.

I see theres a chap on here who has done very well with 10 or so vans, Im aiming to get around 3-4 on the go over time.

Any tips or companies that are good to work for would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

I don't know why you'd want to work on behalf of someone else for less money. You can just put the time in and develop your round yourself and you will get there.

It's better spending 40 hours doing your own customers than doing it for someone else.

The last thing you want is wages and some other large company owing you 3 months then shafting you

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Slightly controversial this, but I don't like commercial work. 

I used to do some factory's many years back and i got the impression they was always after a cheaper price. Also it just felt 'cold' to me, as in here's your money we've done you a favour.

My round is virtually all domestic apart from a small chain of dental practices who I know the owner of and she is a lovely lady.

I suppose the point I'm making, is after 23ish years of cleaning my domestic round, I can virtually charge what I want as I'm friendly with them and they want me, Steve, their window cleaner, not just anyone who provides a service.

Each to their own etc etc

I don't know why you'd want to work on behalf of someone else for less money. You can just put the time in and develop your round yourself and you will get there.

It's better spending 40 hours doing your own customers than doing it for someone else.
Agree, one reason I became a window cleaner again, and sure most are same, is to be  own boss. Subbing your doing same work for less pay........if not your pricing is all wrong!.

I'm the same 99% residential and the couple of commercials I do are quarterly and are business premises that belong to a couple of my residential customers. A big reason I don't want to ever subbie off anyone or sign a regular contract is I love being able to have a day off when I want and off to USA soon for 3 weeks. I couldn't just do that if I have obligations to clean certain places at certain times. Also if you want more vans on road just go and canvass leaflet Facebook etc there s endless work if you want it 

I sub a bit of retail work over the years I have worked with quite a few of the nationals.

It is best that you all ready have work of your own in town as driving in to town to service the odd shop sometimes isn't cost effective.

But get a load together and you can earn good money in all weather before most have started there day.

If you are going to start subbing work then never take on to much as you can start to become reliant on that provider and with retail window cleaning you can be dropped instantly for no reason.I only sub a very small amount now about 2-3% of my turn over and should they go bust like CAPS I could live with it no problem.

I'm mainly commercial I prefer that type of work and for me personally I can earn a lot more but it's just down to choice some lads are doing very well out the residential.

My area is saturated with sinners all competing for the same work and a lot of the residential cleaners are trying there hand at getting commercial this is driving prices down a bit and making it a lot harder to gain good work at good prices.

Back