Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van airbag suspension

paul1

Anyone got these on van been advised to get as I'm carrying aload of weight now in crew cab, if so which ones go for and where can I get them fitted around Yorkshire area if know, cheers

Never heard of it? Is this not the thing gangsters in la have

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
lol what I thought, you can higher and lower the suspension to suit needs using standard air pump just like with tyres seems I'm needing it but may look into getting another van purely for work now cheers

The motorhome guys use them to assist with loading.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-SUSPENSION-KIT-with-12V-Compressor-Fiat-DUCATO-/182669067268?epid=588416797&hash=item2a87ecc404:g:5VgAAOSwPcVVyw9Z

There were reports at one time that the rubber bellows perished quickly so didn't last long. Citroen tried to include air suspension with the Citroen Dispatch/Peugeot expert. They had no end of trouble with it and eventually a factory recall was to replace the air system with coil springs. I understood there was an unhappy customer who sued PSA because he paid a premium for the factory fit air suspension. It went very quiet so my guess is that the case was quietly settled out of court with a non disclosure clause added and agreed by both parties.

I had a rear spring (single leaf) brake on my Citroen Relay.

A pair of replacement springs were £1000.00  plus 4 U bolts from Citroen. With fitting Citroen wanted nearly £1500.00 including VAT with labour to fit them.

The Motorhome guys also purchase HD spring for the vans to carry the load. I fitted a pair to my Relay for about £400.00 including VAT around 6 years ago.

They were similar to these (2 leaf) but for the earlier model.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CITROEN-RELAY-PEUGEOT-BOXER-FIAT-DUCATO-REAR-HEAVY-DUTY-LEAF-SPRINGS-/222101760594?epid=1071187182&hash=item33b64bea52:g:hgsAAOSwn1RXIz1y

So although my van has a payload of 1154 kgs the heavy duty springs are the same as what will be fitted to that model that had a payload of 1595 kgs.

Of course if we carried more than the 1154 kg payload the van would be overloaded as its tyres, brakes and wheels aren't capable of carrying that weight.

The back drops less than 1/2" when we fill the tank with 650 liters of water. But the downside is that the rear rides a little higher than it should. Filling the tank up still doesn't level it off. It rides like the black van of BA in the TV program 'The A Team'.

My van has ABS brakes so doesn't have a compensating valve for brake bias based on the weight on the back of the van. Other models without ABS have to have that valve adjusted to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back