Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro Problem Again

Dan Paton

Sorry to bother you all again with this RO saga. I've set it up and I'm 100% sure it's all set up properly this time. It has all new filters and membranes. The problem now is the tap water is going in at 260. The waste pipe is coming out at over 400 but where I'm supposed to be getting pure it's coming out at 139. Any ideas ? @Spruce and anybody else who might know. Thank you

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Sorry to bother you all again with this RO saga. I've set it up and I'm 100% sure it's all set up properly this time. It has all new filters and membranes. The problem now is the tap water is going in at 260. The waste pipe is coming out at over 400 but where I'm supposed to be getting pure it's coming out at 139. Any ideas ? [mention=125]Spruce[/mention] and anybody else who might know. Thank you

New filters need to be flushed.
Run it for an hour or so, then check the ppm again

Flushed for 2 hours. The pure tube is now reading 114 so it's gone down. Shall I leave it running normally now ? Does it normally drop more over time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I would suggest you test the pure output of each membrane and see which one is causing the problem. Do this by uncoupling each membrane pure and catch it product water in a container. I suggest you leave the r/o running for 5 to 10 minutes before this test.

I would suggest you test the pure output of each membrane and see which one is causing the problem. Do this by uncoupling each membrane pure and catch it product water in a container. I suggest you leave the r/o running for 5 to 10 minutes before this test.
Spruce I done as you suggested. Of the 3 membranes the top one was 210. Middle was 25. Bottom was 18. So I'm guessing the top one is goosed lol.

Update. I've disconnected the top one for now and the water is coming out at 25. I'm connecting that to the Di for the sake of making pure for work 2moro. Going forward though. What should I do about the goosed one as it is brand new?

Can you show or dm us a few pics of your system

Tea boy it's just a basic ro man style system. It was 300gpd but now 200. It's working now the top membrane has been disconnected. I've removed the membrane from inside and re-inserted it. I'll try it again tomorrow to see if it's any different.

I would remove the membrane, clean the housing up and check the housing the 2 o rings fit into. You will also be able to see if you have the waste pipe connected up to this housing and not the pure. On the membrane check the o rings and the brine seal and reassemble. I would suggest you pop down to your local motor factor and get a tube of silicon grease and lubricate the seals so the slip into the housing easier. I used Vaseline, but it needs to be just a thin smear.

Just take your time and make sure the membrane is seated all the way home before your screw the main cap on.

Thank you Spruce. I'll tackle that later when I'm done. I'm just glad I'm making pure. At the moment at 200gpd it's painfully slow and I don't think 300gpd will be a lot faster. Can you have different gpd membranes fitted? I.e. One at 150 and two at 100. Would that work? I want to change them all to 150 but not all at the same time.

Thank you Spruce. I'll tackle that later when I'm done. I'm just glad I'm making pure. At the moment at 200gpd it's painfully slow and I don't think 300gpd will be a lot faster. Can you have different gpd membranes fitted? I.e. One at 150 and two at 100. Would that work? I want to change them all to 150 but not all at the same time.

I wouldn't recommend mixing tbh.

Each membrane variant (ie 50, 75, 100, 150 gpd) needs a different restrictor for it to work efficiently. So if you did mix them then you would need to use 1 waste tap for the 1 group and another waste tap for the other membrane. In setting them up you would have to balance each membrane group individually and after each tap you could then join the wastes together.

Latest Posts

Back