Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Trail lines from tip of squeegee

Bart90

Hi guys,

I've been curious about this for years.  Whatever I seem to do i  still get one or two trail lines out of the tip of the squeegee when fanning & then have to wipe of with scrim.  Sometimes they dry so quick you don't get a chance to wipe them off and this has always bothered me.  

Am I doing something wrong or is it just something that inevitably happens when fanning?

I've tried less water, wiping the squeegee before each pane, leaving a couple inches above the water on the glass fanning differently, but nothing seems to work. 

Any thoughts appreciated.....

Hi guys,

I've been curious about this for years.  Whatever I seem to do i  still get one or two trail lines out of the tip of the squeegee when fanning & then have to wipe of with scrim.  Sometimes they dry so quick you don't get a chance to wipe them off and this has always bothered me.  

Am I doing something wrong or is it just something that inevitably happens when fanning?

I've tried less water, wiping the squeegee before each pane, leaving a couple inches above the water on the glass fanning differently, but nothing seems to work. 

I used go get this then I changed to razor red and it stoped

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Dave B said:

If the squeegee is not at the right angle that will happen the blade should be like this if going to the right / not like this \

Probably something you already know but that will always cause it

This is what i mean.. always pointing the direction of travel

An old vid i did for someone last year

https://youtu.be/oCooVGt1NEc

Thanks for that.  Can't see anything different from what i'm doing on that one but I'll play about a bit tomorrow and see if i can get any improvement.

4 minutes ago, clear view of silverton said:

I used go get this then I changed to razor red and it stoped

I use pulex at the moment.....I'd be open to trying a different rubber it bugs me that much :1f603:

38 minutes ago, Dave B said:

Poolex lol

What channels do you use?

lol that's a new one on me.  It's cheap and I've found it ok..do you not rate it?

Standard ettore brass channels - in fact they're the original ones that came with the squeegee!  

Ettore channels are slightly bigger front to back so some smaller rubbers like unger etc don't work so well in them

Not sure but think pulex is the same

Ettore rubber is more expensive but works well

Razr red is great

I use Moërman liquidators and unger s channels which have been modified by being cut and dogeared

For standard squeegees you can't beat unger ergotec handles and their s channels and unger soft rubber

My modified ettore stainless channels were great but needed ettore rubber or razr to work well

23 minutes ago, Dave B said:

Ettore channels are slightly bigger front to back so some smaller rubbers like unger etc don't work so well in them

Not sure but think pulex is the same

Ettore rubber is more expensive but works well

Razr red is great

I use Moërman liquidators and unger s channels which have been modified by being cut and dogeared

For standard squeegees you can't beat unger ergotec handles and their s channels and unger soft rubber

My modified ettore stainless channels were great but needed ettore rubber or razr to work well

Great, I'll have a look at Razor red.  I've got a liquidator  but i could never get used to it so abandoned it.  Maybe i should dig it out again......

I never had an issue with the liquidators and have used them since before their release in prototype form but am not giving a biased opinion.. if you get used to them they will be the best tool you can use

• Like 1

I started with the unger ninja and decided to upgrade to the less detailing squeegee that is the moerman tool. At first I bought it and put the thing in a cupboard but it came back out and I'd never leave home without it. @Trad-Man just put out a good video on it.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Dave B said:

I never had an issue with the liquidators and have used them since before their release in prototype form but am not giving a biased opinion.. if you get used to them they will be the best tool you can use

It's gona be re born from the squegee dumping graveyard.  I've been experimenting a lot ltely with different set ups so what's another squeegee in the mix? :1f61c: best rubber for liquidator?  Razr?

5 minutes ago, Bart90 said:

It's gona be re born from the squegee dumping graveyard.  I've been experimenting a lot ltely with different set ups so what's another squeegee in the mix? :1f61c: best rubber for liquidator?  Razr?

moerman soft to start, then moerman hard, softs edges wear very quick tho

I currently use moerman hard. It's cheap enough to replace but if you don't keep an eye on it. It wears away fast particularly at the edges. Im going to try out the Ettore master rubber.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bart90 said:

Hi guys,

What type of squeegee have you got?

It's funny how different they all are I bought a wagtail and it just sits in the van was a strange feeling trying to use it and thought sod it

6 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I currently use moerman hard. It's cheap enough to replace but if you don't keep an eye on it. It wears away fast particularly at the edges. Im going to try out the Ettore master rubber.

Mine hardly wears and i use soft

It's about being accurate on the edges and not being heavy handed

Wood frames especially you gotta be carefull

1 minute ago, clear view of silverton said:

It's funny how different they all are I bought a wagtail and it just sits in the van was a strange feeling trying to use it and thought sod it

I loved my wagtail from day 1 but it's a pity they are so poorly built and break easily

8 minutes ago, Dave B said:

Mine hardly wears and i use soft

It's about being accurate on the edges and not being heavy handed

Wood frames especially you gotta be carefull

I'm heavy on the rubber and I have lots of rubber killer wooden frames lol. 

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.