Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fibreglass Van Floor

There are plenty of roofers around that do GRP flat roofs. Ask someone to price it up if you can't do it yourself.

Bring it to stevenage and I'll do it

So easy

Fibreglass matting

Resin

Roller

Paint brush

Top coat for colour

Job done

Doing my shed roof next week (same size as my old garage and 1 sloped roof rather than a pointy one) so i can collect rainwater

Piece of p###

Look on ebay and buy a kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Good vid spruce but it is far easier to cut the edges in with a brush and then pour the resin on the matting in small patches and spread with the roller than keep dipping it

Small puddle enough for a foot square and spread with the roller

Agree with this. There are numerous other videos on YouTube which also show the process in detail. Mark Munro is one for giving anything a bash and the result was fine. He never had done this before.

The only thing that would be fiberglass diyers need to bear in mind is that it needs to be done when the weather is warm so the fiberglass cures. Cold is the enemy. From personal experience it takes a long time for the resin to go off in the winter when I did my son's van. The issue was with the non slip top coat as the weather turn cold whist we were doing it. Running the van with the heating on doesn't do the job. We fiberglassed the full metal floor with out the ply floor.

When our roofer did our dormer roofs a couple of years ago, he used a high catalyst ratio and that mixing tin got very warm. He was covering his bases against the weather. In fact he was discarding resin that he had mixed but which had started going off before he had finished it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring it to stevenage and I'll do it

So easy

Fibreglass matting

Resin

Roller

Paint brush

Top coat for colour

Job done

Doing my shed roof next week (same size as my old garage and 1 sloped roof rather than a pointy one) so i can collect rainwater

Piece of p###

Look on ebay and buy a kit

Hi Dave, I have had a look, and seen you tube videos, problem I have is knowing what kit to buy, as in how much I'm going to need, the van is a VW maxi Caddy.

Measure the area of the floor you want to cover

Get on ebay and buy a kit big enough for that area

Job done

I would go over the plywood as if it ever needed to come out it can do.

If your van ever needed any welding or anything doing and you have fibreglassed the actual floor you would have a job on

You could be clever and fibreglass over the floor covered in dpm membrane

Would be a perfect floor but also not actually stuck to the floor so could lift out if needed

That is what i am thinking of doing with mine

Totally waterproof floor but could lift up and tip sideways to remove it if necessary 

Would be a perfect floor but also not actually stuck to the floor so could lift out if needed

Totally waterproof floor but could lift up and tip sideways to remove it if necessary 

Sorry Dave , bit thick when it comes to this, what's DPM Membrane

The stuff you use when building a wall or patio etc to stop damp from below

Thick black waterproof sheeting

Would be like a barrier between floor and fibreglass so it isn't actually stuck to the floor

The stuff you use when building a wall or patio etc to stop damp from below

Thick black waterproof sheeting

Would be like a barrier between floor and fibreglass so it isn't actually stuck to the floor

Ok, and would the fibreglass stick to the membrane.

Should do but even if it didn't it will cure hard on top of it

Not seen anyone else do it that way but i know from experience it will work

I was going to fibreglass mine a few weeks ago but in the end I didn't bother.

I used the plastic membrane Dave is in about and on top of it a put some rubber boot liner. Totally waterproof and won't wear out with the rubber on top. Only cost about 20 quid to do and easy to rip out if I wanted to .

Back