Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New pole! But which one??

bins2010

I need to purchase a new pole to reach the top windows as per the photo. What height do you think I need to reach? And who can recommend a decent pole?
23ffb2c7a9bba81cace932aad47ad7a7.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

That's the one I'm going to buy next when I get around to selling my SLX22 ;)

Its great pole for me because its shorter when down than SLX 25, so fits easily in the Berlingo.

Hopefully in the next couple of months I will buy section 7 and 8 just to be able to reach skylights. I have had a few poles Unger, Streamline and without a doubt I would not go for anything other than the SLX or above now. Great quality and great service as well. Next day delivery really helps.

I think part timer is right, and that building looks higher than a average house or other buildings and that slope will lose you a 2-3ft so the bigger the pole the better you might just be lucky with a 35ft but that won't get the window clean if you can't get any pressure on the glass or clean the sills 

Not convinced a 35' pole will reach that, garden falls away quickly and windows set well back. A long gooseneck will help you a great deal on the angle.

I'm inclined to agree.

If @bins2010 has to go out and buy a a new pole, then the job won't be worth quoting on as has been pointed out. I would suggest he quote excluding the windows in the roof line as I would imagine the otherside can be cleaned from the inside by the tenants.

Not convinced a 35' pole will reach that, garden falls away quickly and windows set well back. A long gooseneck will help you a great deal on the angle.

I'm inclined to agree.

If @bins2010 has to go out and buy a a new pole, then the job won't be worth quoting on as has been pointed out. I would suggest he quote excluding the windows in the roof line as I would imagine the outside can be cleaned from the inside by the tenants.

I'm inclined to agree.

If @bins2010 has to go out and buy a a new pole, then the job won't be worth quoting on as has been pointed out. I would suggest he quote excluding the windows in the roof line as I would imagine the outside can be cleaned from the inside by the tenants.

I'm inclined to agree.

I actually disagree with the guru, AKA Spruce, so next time he's asked to quote for a job he can't reach is he supposed to turn that down as well?

You have to speculate to accumulate occasionally 

Not fully read whole thread but what about putting ladder up just below gutter and take pole up and adjust the brush head to accommodate the window.
I have done this in the past if the other lad is using the high reach pole and was waiting for it.
Agreed not something i would want to do on a regular basis but as a stop gap sure..

I actually disagree with the guru, AKA Spruce, so next time he's asked to quote for a job he can't reach is he supposed to turn that down as well?

:1f609: My reasoning was that if he had to especially buy a 40 or 47' foot pole for this job then the jobs isn't worth quoting for.

On ocassion I have taken out my SLX40 and checked if I could reach the top windows before I quoted. If it doesn't reach then I pass the inquiry onto another cleaner who has an SLX47.

Unfortunately, in my early wfp days,  I needed a 35' pole for a couple of jobs so bought one thinking I would then target higher work. I never did but the SLX35 was upgraded to an SLX40 and that probably only gets used 6 times a month. In those days an SLX40 cost the same price as a return ticket to Australia with some spending money. Nearly 10 years on, the wife has never forgiven me for denying her the trip of a lifetime she has always dreamt about. She didn't take to kindly to me using my money, which was my savings, being wasted on a pole.

My advice was reliving that moment in time when she saw me unpacking the just delivered pole and made no bones in expressing her disappointment at what she terms as my lack of good judgement. :1f622:

Last edited by a moderator:
A new pole, to do this job, is a weeks turnover. Depending on where it is in the country 2 or 3 washes could pay for it. We have people selling low quality rounds for 4 x turnover. I know what I would prefer to invest in. 

Just buy a couple of extensions to make it longer - much cheaper than a whole pole. I have an slx 35 and have 2 more extensions I carry in the van for hard to reach sky lights etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back