Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First tank fill help

Maund

Hi, so I've just tried to fill my tank up for the first time, I have the 3 van ports at the back, drain, fill and pump. So when I connected the water supply to the fill, water is coming out of the drain valve, is this normal? What is it draining and why?

Sounds like the drain is open.  Is there a stop **** between the tank and the external port?

The four ****' were 'a male chicken' :1f602:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, so I've just tried to fill my tank up for the first time, I have the 3 van ports at the back, drain, fill and pump. So when I connected the water supply to the fill, water is coming out of the drain valve, is this normal? What is it draining and why?

Presuming you have an r/o on board the van.

When producing water the r/o needs to get rid of the dissolved solids the membranes remove. It does this via the waste water out of the drain.

Depending on the r/o you have, some allow you to setup how much water goes to drain compared to the pure produced. In reasonably soft water areas we can get away with 50% waste to 50% pure. In hard water areas is probably better at about 60% waste and 40% pure.

No I don't think so, I'm so confused, how the bloody hell do I turn the drain off

You always need water going to the drain when the r/o is working. That the only way impurities are flushed away.

If you do switch the waste off you will destroy your membranes.

Ah right ok, I do have a r/o installed, so it's normal for it to do that then?

Ok now my pump has stopped working wtf. Is it supposed to be this hard to understand all this Hahaha

Sorry, I was assuming you had remote RO set up.  I guess I'm lucky - always had space for a static RO and storage so didn't need to cart an RO around with me :1f609:

Yer I got it factory fitted, they did go over it but was very quickly and was a lot of information to take in at once. I haven't completely filled the tank, I've just put the pump on, it came on for about 10 seconds then went off. Won't come back on now

Yer I got it factory fitted, they did go over it but was very quickly and was a lot of information to take in at once. I haven't completely filled the tank, I've just put the pump on, it came on for about 10 seconds then went off. Won't come back on now
Is the display coming on? You might have a flat battery, I know it's new but you never know. Try starting the van and then try to turn the pump on. 

Is the display coming on? You might have a flat battery, I know it's new but you never no. Try starting the van and then try to turn the pump on. 
Display coming on, it's a new battery as well so shouldn't be flat, any other reasons why the pump wouldn't be working?

Couldn't tell you mate, no idea
Open the lid and try and look at the right hand side of the tank, usually the solenoid is around 5-6 inches from the top, just below the overflow pipe. If the water is a foot below the top of your tank then you will need to ring the company you bought it from first thing Monday as it sounds like you have a problem that they will need to fix.

Open the lid and try and look at the right hand side of the tank, usually the solenoid is around 5-6 inches from the top, just below the overflow pipe. If the water is a foot below the top of your tank then you will need to ring the company you bought it from first thing Monday as it sounds like you have a problem that they will need to fix.
I can't see anything like that on it near the top

Do you have a pole connected?  The pump will stop when it reaches a certain pressure since there's probably some aquastop connector fitted. 

So your talking about your 'shurflo' or equivalent pump, that pumps your pure to your pole? Is there a valve from the tanks main outlet that is closed? My controller is a bit funny with my leisure battery. I have to run it on full pressure for few seconds until the battery warning light turns off and then the pump works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

maund, a photo of the set up or tell us which stystem you have would be better,from reading between the lines i'm am guessing you have an onboard booster pump with maybe an autofill stystem,that would explain the pump stopping every now and then-again i could be very wrong.

the company should have given you some kind of booklet explaining all this

Back