Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Will it hold...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dr Von Samstein

Just re-done all the pressurised parts of my set up with John guest fittings. The problem is how to cheaply connect to hosereel. So I held it in boiling water for about 3 mins and forced it into this and tightened up as much as I could. Question: will it hold? 

Only time will tell!!! You can get plenty of adaptors for John guest so if it does fail just get a 15mm pipe fitting to 3/4" tap connector, that should screw directly into your hose reel (by the look of it, unless you used a 1/2" bsp tap connector?)

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Why not warm a bit of hose up and put it over the 15mm pipe with a jubilee clip? Or get a 15 to 12 elbow if it's too tight for hose?

Thinking about it I don't think that would work!!! Your hose reel relies on the hozelock fitting to spin round so the connector I was talking about would spin around on the PEX pipe - that would more than likely chew it up.
You'd be better with this
ceda98f7ad144ec4cc8374a5d2533dfe.png

And this?
19cf0f637b8c708535e8d0ffd157b430.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Ah yeh, never seen that hoselock connector from wickes without the screw barb, looks like that would work. I usually stuff half inch pipe into the john guest fitting and push and insert in and then screw up tight and it always holds, but eventually it always needs changing as the pipe stretches, especially on such a short length. I cant get really tough hose into it so i thought I would try this idea. If it lasts the day tomorrow I think I will superglue it into place too to give it a bit more support. If this holds I think its great, but if it pops off in the van and the pump is left on everything will get very very wet!

Sorry that won't hold never been a fan of John guest for vans,

Hose and jubilees all the way [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

And the answer is..........

its worked perfectly for 2 days. However there are stress marks showing in it so I don't trust it to last. I have followed the suggestion on here and heated up some thick hose pipe and forced it over 15mm pipe with 3 x jubilee clips to try and hold it in place. So far so good...

And the answer is..........

its worked perfectly for 2 days. However there are stress marks showing in it so I don't trust it to last. I have followed the suggestion on here and heated up some thick hose pipe and forced it over 15mm pipe with 3 x jubilee clips to try and hold it in place. So far so good...

Out of interest why not just use hose in the first place jg fittings in vans are accidents waiting to happen and will cost you a lost day when it does

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

up till now I have always used 1/2 inch hose but found that eventually all the connections start to leak. For me its not just one hose from pump to reel. I will try and put some pics on later but i love this new set up and its 90% john guest

u can put the 3/4  jg fitting right onto the reel and  connect the pipe straight in the side   as the pipe will turn and  is much better     

This is why I dont just use one hose from pump to reel.

IMG_20170822_100037230.jpg

The pumpred water comes in from the pipe going out to the right, and I fill the tank through the yellow hose pipe on the bottom. So this way I can turn the tap on the bottom to block off the fill hose, and open the one on the right from the pump and it bleeds the system. Really handy to have it so easy to bleed. Normally just leave it running straight back into tank at the start of the day while I pull hose round the back of the house, this way there is no waste and nothing in the van getting wet from disconnecting hoses and I'm di only so im not wasting a drop because its just putting pure back into the tank so dropping tds of whole tank (granted only very sightly if its full).

For normal use I turn off the tap on the right so the pump is only pumping to the hosereel.

Eventually I will put another tap in the top section of pipe so i can block that and open the other two and reverse the water on the fill pipe because thats attached to 50m of garden hose so I can pump more water for a better rinse through that hose than through my 100m of 5mm, say for example to rinse down a con roof or fascia. And i can choose to use pure or tap water so if i need to do fascias i dont need to spend resin on them. 

Back