Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worth getting an on-board RO or buy it for 3p/litre

slippy

Live in flat and can't always park next to communal tap but it's there and have kitchen tap which I can run hose from.  Should I pay the £18 for 500 litres (24hr access to water machine) with no hassle or get an onboard RO?  

Bare in mind if it's from spotless water that is without vat so.it is 3.6p a litre with vat

Ignore me i just did the maths and £18 is with the vat lol

The question can only be answered by you.. do you want to spend that much

Check gardiners resin calculator with your tds as it may be cheaper to go di only and fill your tank pretty quick from your flat window

Ignore me i just did the maths and £18 is with the vat lol

The question can only be answered by you.. do you want to spend that much

Check gardiners resin calculator with your tds as it may be cheaper to go di only and fill your tank pretty quick from your flat window

Tds 280 so have to be an ro to make it worth it.  

It very much depends on how much water you use. If you're going through 500 litres a day then get an R/O, if it is 500 litres a week then pay the 3.6p a litre. 

1000 a week.   I guess you've still got to pay to maintain the ro even if u only use it twice a week like I would.  Might get smashed up or get in way with other stuff I would throw in van for other jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 100-150 litres per day as i trad bottoms

Have a 1000l ibc and a 450gpd ro

I have a huge shed (built it the size of my old garage) with a sloped rather than pitched roof

Gutter running accross the back and collect rainwater

I can clean with that with no di and have spotless windows

This is an old pic but now it is heavy duty corrugated plastic roof i need bo di or anything and have only had to stick the ro on yesterday as ran out of rain water

I could theoretically use di only even with 300ppm from the tap now winter is coming

Polzn bladz has over 2000l storage and has only run out once in 4 years doing only tops

We all have different needs so can't really say what you should do

15040198276781782602849.jpg

You're then looking at time, it will take you 3ish hours to fill the tank, alright you will be at home but still not fully relaxed. Only you know what £2k a year in water costs compared to a few hundred, max, for an R/O if you're not metered.  

And also remember that time going to fill up and buy water is time you can't be using water an earning money. For me it because easier just to fill up at home and be off to work as soon as I left the house. Gave me an extra 30-60 mins work time each day depending where my first job was and I lived only a 10 min drive from where I filled up. I reckon I use about £5 of resin per day (240ppm) and I can earn more than that in 30-60 mins so I count it as worthwhile.

Tbh even with your tds using double di wouldn't cost you £18 per 500 litres (although to best if you aren't on a meter definitely) so it would save you time and money

And also remember that time going to fill up and buy water is time you can't be using water an earning money. For me it because easier just to fill up at home and be off to work as soon as I left the house. Gave me an extra 30-60 mins work time each day depending where my first job was and I lived only a 10 min drive from where I filled up. I reckon I use about £5 of resin per day (240ppm) and I can earn more than that in 30-60 mins so I count it as worthwhile.

Tbh even with your tds using double di wouldn't cost you £18 per 500 litre ins (although to best if you aren't on a meter definitely) so it would save you time and money

You're then looking at time, it will take you 3ish hours to fill the tank, alright you will be at home but still not fully relaxed. Only you know what £2k a year in water costs compared to a few hundred, max, for an R/O if you're not metered.  
Not metered.  Is it a hassle.  Surely with an auto shut off on your tank and waterproofed floor for flooding u can just fall asleep on sofa or leave it until morning

Not metered.  Is it a hassle.  Surely with an auto shut off on your tank and waterproofed floor for flooding u can just fall asleep on sofa or leave it until morning
I have a van R/O and can fill it on my drive but couldn't leave it all night so pack it all away, only takes a few minutes. I have low water pressure so have a booster pump and can produce circa 300 litres an hour. You also need a nearby drain for the waste water.

Ultimately it's your shout, I personally would get an R/O for a 1000 litres a week 

I have a van R/O and can fill it on my drive but couldn't leave it all night so pack it all away, only takes a few minutes. I have low water pressure so have a booster pump and can produce circa 300 litres an hour. You also need a nearby drain for the waste water.

Ultimately it's your shout, I personally would get an R/O for a 1000 litres a week 
40 40?  Who fitted it for u ?

Got manholes and communal gardens for drainage.  Would u say ro with connecting hoses wouldn't get damaged by other tools being thrown in there?

To put a 2' steel barrier across the van should save any damage, unless you drive like me and equipment isn't secured. 

View attachment 11172

View attachment 11173
Nice.  As my filling is so precarious from my flat but not metred.  Can u get a cheap diy on board ro?   Genies or something.  Surely the dhut off ob tank means you can fall asleep and leave the hose connected?

Forking out £1600 for grippertanks Star wars ro then getting a complaint note from guy who runs flats would be frustrating.

Twin DI compared to buying at 3p isn't that great in my opinion.  Resin isn't cheap and changing the resin in 11 litre vessels is a pain in the ****.    

Back