Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rinsing on the glass

Kenny Q

Hi guys. I tried this at home for the first time the other day and I was impressed with the results. The water just glided off.. i banged the flow up to 99 and the finish when dry was perfect. My question is. Can you use this technique on all types of glass? Thanks in advance.

I rinse on the glass quite a bit, and on all types of glass.  In time you develop a feel for when it'll work and when it won't and work accordingly.  As you've discovered, you do need high flow.  However, you won't necessarily find you use more water because you will move quicker.  At least this was true in my case.  I actually use about 50ltrs less a day than when I rinsed off the glass all the time

Yes if you want to go through a lot of water and run your pump into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Shurflo pumps etc are designed to work at full speed all the time. It is only us windies who use them like we do.

Full whack all day rinsing on the glass will have no adverse effects on the pump. The only thing to suffer may be the battery needing charging more often

I rinse on the glass 99% of the time also with a swivel resi neck so even quicker

I use less water rinsing on with 60 on my 6lpm pump than i do on 30 rinsing off as it is so quick

Last edited by a moderator:
You actualy use a lot less water with high flow if your working faster.

The longer the pumps running the more water you use, if your working quickly with high flow your using less water as the pumps on for less time.

Agree with dave b, if the pump wasnt designed to go high it wouldnt be set so.

I can rinse on the glass with my Gardiners lite brush, but my cheaper facelift brush leaves streaks.

Went from barrels to tank this summer and while I now use higher flow I don't use more water.

Reading the thread with interest as I have always just washed and rinsed. What are the fundamental benefits of rinsing in glass? I have always wanted to try but worried that the inevitable **** that accumulates on a brush will be the last thing left on the glass. Hate to walk away from top windows not knowing. Rinsing off glass feels......cleaner. 

Reading the thread with interest as I have always just washed and rinsed. What are the fundamental benefits of rinsing in glass? I have always wanted to try but worried that the inevitable **** that accumulates on a brush will be the last thing left on the glass. Hate to walk away from top windows not knowing. Rinsing off glass feels......cleaner. 
I know what you mean mate I tried it on my own windows for the first time last week but the results wasn't perfect very very fine spotting had to look hard to see them but there where there so I think I need some my practice at it before trying it on customers windows [emoji6]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

When you clean with a 15 metre pole all extended you can't rinse off glass, or at least it's very very straining to do so.

Rinsing on glass takes much less effort, so I use it all the time. 

I tilt the brush so only one side of it touches the glass and angles it so the water rinses above the brush as much as possible. A rinse bar is another good option.

When you clean with a 15 metre pole all extended you can't rinse off glass, or at least it's very very straining to do so.

Rinsing on glass takes much less effort, so I use it all the time. 

I tilt the brush so only one side of it touches the glass and angles it so the water rinses above the brush as much as possible. A rinse bar is another good option.
The strain on the body is the only reason I am intrigued by the technique. I was taught to rinse off glass, that's what I have always done, even fully extended. Plus I am a pretty big bloke so it never really was that hard to control but it does wear on you after a days work.  I was always confused as to the best method though on glass. Having standard pencil jets in the middle of the brush means that the very tops of the glass have the (potentially dirty) brush on them as the last thing but also having a rise bar above means your just rinsing (and potentially drawing out dirt from) the frame above while you drag down from the top of the glass. 

Not arguing it as a method, I actually want to try it more but I can never see the best way without worrying how it has been left when I walk away from the window.

You can have 2 pencil jets as standard in brush body,   and 2 jets above the brush head, while leaving brush on higher windows the 2 top jets rinse  above the brush head  while coming down window with brush on glass,  ie seen this somewhere online

I must admit that being quicker is an attractive alternative. However, taking some strain off your back and neck has to make it an even better option, making it a no brainer for me. Like anything else, it will come down to knowledge, confidence and practice.

Even after 11 years with wfp I still do not think I really know what I am doing...despite the fact I can be very quick and other times I think I get into a loop and just keep doing the same piece of glass over and over again.... Many have said...just trust the method.... scrub, agitate the dirt and then rinse..... easier said that done...but saying that still wipped around all my work today and over the years I have had the total of 2 callbacks, thats not to say I am perfect in any way shape or form but perhaps we are far more critical than our customers will ever be.... we know what and exactly where issues will be. 

Even after 11 years with wfp I still do not think I really know what I am doing...despite the fact I can be very quick and other times I think I get into a loop and just keep doing the same piece of glass over and over again.... Many have said...just trust the method.... scrub, agitate the dirt and then rinse..... easier said that done...but saying that still wipped around all my work today and over the years I have had the total of 2 callbacks, thats not to say I am perfect in any way shape or form but perhaps we are far more critical than our customers will ever be.... we know what and exactly where issues will be. 
You'll know what you're doing if you stay off those funny cakes they sell over there!

when the glass is right rinsing on the glass is so much quicker,when the glass is crxp rinsing terrible dos,int matter if your on off the glass

always over rinse

So what gardiner brush heads for cleaning on the glass as thought it be handy for the narrow alleyways between houses where people might have a loft room window and its too narrow to step back and look if that makes sense.

Back