Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Prep for winter

BigFoot

I've recently put a 1000ltr tank and a 4040 RO system into my garage and it gets mighty cold up on the side of the mountain where I live in the winter 

what have you all done to see you working and processing water in the cold? I need to get cracking so I don't get caught out!

I would lag all the pipes and ro and get a decent tube heater mounted as close as possible to the ro housing

Maybe a space heater if it gets that cold

It takes a lot to freeze an ibc full of water especially if the water is moving about with pure beimg produced but the ro will be shagged if it freezes

I've recently put a 1000ltr tank and a 4040 RO system into my garage and it gets mighty cold up on the side of the mountain where I live in the winter 

what have you all done to see you working and processing water in the cold? I need to get cracking so I don't get caught out!
Is the garage attached to your house? If it is then try and reduce the gaps where wind gets in and put a thermostat radiator against the coldest wall and one close to, or under the R/O if possible. Detach any water bearing pipes you can on the nights when it is forecast to be really cold and wrap a blanket round the filtration.

I use the grey foam lagging on my pipes and the stuff for boiler tanks over the whole lot

Makes a big difference 

I knocked this cabinet together for my 4040. The cabinet has a frost stat and a 140 watt tube heater. The heater comes on when the inside of the cabinet drops to 8 degrees and switches off when it gets to 10 degrees.

It sits in the garage wall.

4040 ro 051a.jpg

4040 ro 053a.jpg

4040 ro 052a.jpg

Winter... have a 2000litre storage tank + the ro all in a large insulated frame/cabinate....tube heater with a thermostat and also fill any gaps with plastic bubble wrap I collect during the year.

Just in the process of rebuilding my van.... idea a little different there..... am setting up so all lines have a fall and also have a tap/outlet on the 1 inch outlet so I can pump out the van tank water to the holding tank.  In addition to this.... have setup an air compressor so I can blow the system through..... If there is little water then a lessor chance to freeze. Also have a thermostat heater for the van if required.

** If it can freeze it will and it will be the joint/connection you don't have a spare for or cannot reach easily  :1f609:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back