Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO Membrane

I'm a DIY numpty so will leave the purchasing aspect to the experts on here. I've cleaned windows at 12ppm, unknowingly, and got no complaints. This was on a maintenance wash where the windows weren't dirty to start off with though. 

Ok thanks, I'm at 10 at the moment and no complaints yet, but will have to replace RO soon as .

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Are you using resin?

whats your input tds and output tds from your membrane.

you should be aiming for a minimum of 95% filtration before changing membranes

Hi Don Kee
My input tds is 163 and my output tds is 31, how do you calculate % filtration pls ?

Hi Don Kee
My input tds is 163 and my output tds is 31, how do you calculate % filtration pls ?

163 minus 31 = 132. 132 divided by 163 multiplied by 100 gives you 80.98% efficient. So your membranes are only removing 81% of the dissolved solids in your tap water. Membranes working well should remove around 98% of the dissolved solids.

Didn't know that , thanks for explaining . It's only just over 12 months old so they saying it's out of warranty !! I've always got about 3 yrs out of a membrane so disappointed in this one !

Didn't know that , thanks for explaining . It's only just over 12 months old so they saying it's out of warranty !! I've always got about 3 yrs out of a membrane so disappointed in this one !

What r/o have you got and what membrane did you buy?

I'm surprised you have only got 3 years from a membrane. My 4040 membrane is 5 years old and still performing at 98% rejection rate.

System bought originally from Streampole based in Darlington, think they are no longer trading, it's not a fancy all in one system like you can buy today. Bought 40/40 membrane from Window Cleaning Warehouse last May, only fitted it in October . What system are you using ,where you get yours and how do you make it last 5 years ? There's 3 of us filling up every day, taking 1600 litres and we backflush 3 times a day after every fill ?

System bought originally from Streampole based in Darlington, think they are no longer trading, it's not a fancy all in one system like you can buy today. Bought 40/40 membrane from Window Cleaning Warehouse last May, only fitted it in October . What system are you using ,where you get yours and how do you make it last 5 years ? There's 3 of us filling up every day, taking 1600 litres and we backflush 3 times a day after every fill ?

It depends upon which membrane you bought from WCW.

Just looking at this in general.

Here's a membrane at a cheap price from WCW.

http://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/best-value-hf4-4040-membrane.html

But they themselves say that its efficiency is rated at 80 - 85% and for soft to medium hardness water areas.

They advertise it as "Best Value." No its not. At 80% efficiency the initial cost saving of the membrane will soon be swallowed up with the extra cost of resin to remove the remaining tds from the pure produced. But so many cleaners are tempted on price considerations only.

The Aexon membrane I have is £247 + VAT & del at GAPS Water and its an HF5.

The equivalent HF4 Axeon membrane at GAPS is £190 + VAT & Del.

WCW also offer the Aexon membrane at £269 + VAT & del.

For the first 3 years of my membranes life we had 3 cleaners drawing water. We didn't use as much as you do; it was about 13,000 liters of pure a month.

There is just the 2 of us now and our monthly useage has dropped somewhat. I'm not doing what I at once could and unfortunately my son, who works along side me, is now suffering mental health issues and its a daily fight to keep him going as he just can't be asked.

I can't say we do anything special with regard to membrane care. I'm not an example when it comes to flushing. I think I have flushed the system briefly once in the past 2 months.

Our prefilters get replace when the manufacturers specify they should. We only use 20" fiberdyne carbon block filters from Gardiners as they are good for about 77,000 liters which includes both pure and waste. I have a submeter on my r/o so I know when the time is that I need to replace the filters. I also use a sediment filter as the water on Teesside is so full of sediment. I have on ocassion replaced 3 sediment filters before the carbon filter has reached its service life.

The r/o I had before was a 450gpd. I bought it second hand and was a year old. I had to replace the membranes shortly after as the previous cleaner didn't replace prefilters in all the time he used it. The membranes I fitted were Filmtec and they lasted 6 years. Tap water tds was 255 back then.

I built my 4040 system up from components I purchased from various sources. I built it the way I wanted it. One of the things I wanted was clear prefilter bowls so I could see what was happening at a glance. Its in a cabinet with is also heated when the temperature inside drops to below 8 degrees.

The system is also on a float switch so when water is drawn the r/o automatically switches on and replenishes the water drawn, switching off when the IBC tank is full.

I put up a photo of it in its cabinet on another post.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/23481-prep-for-winter/?tab=comments#comment-350889

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a HF5-4040 first installed 06/09/09 still @+98% flushed once a week, filters every 3months...use aprox 8000-10,000 litres per calendar month *not inc waste..... think these things should last a fair few years if treated well.

Normally about 245 - 300 input and around 4 to 8 out & before the twin di vessels depending on pressure between 85 > 100 psi from booster and about 55psi without booster pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a HF5-4040 first installed 06/09/09 still @+98% flushed once a week, filters every 3months...use aprox 8000-10,000 litres per calendar month *not inc waste..... think these things should last a fair few years if treated well.

Normally about 245 - 300 input and around 4 to 8 out & before the twin di vessels depending on pressure between 85 > 100 psi from booster and about 55psi without booster pump.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi Glazenwasser, impressive numbers, think I've been sold a substandard product and I spend a few quid with this company over a year. Where did you get your RO and how much did you pay , if you don't mind me asking ?
Cheers
Dave

Latest Posts

Back