Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Quickest way to fill backpack from van tank?

Guest 1217

As title really. After spending a stooopid amount of time getting caught up on people's bins, walls, plants, grandma's etc I want to use the backpack more for round backs of houses. Tried filling up from the pump but it took too much time. I would like to have maybe a trigger style tap to quickly fill the Gardiner backpack in 30 seconds or less from the vans 500 litre tank. 

How do you good folk do this? Would the weight of the water alone in the tank push it out at a good flow using an inch wide hose if the outlet was at the bottom of the tank?

A bilge pump is probably the fastest way, especially if you couple it with a petrol style pump handle.

Splitting the outlet on your tank and having a valve is probably the easiest way.

My preferred way would be a smaller pump dedicated to filling barrels with a float valve contraption to stop it automatically when full. This is only theoretical though as I haven't built it.

I disconnect my hose reel before I move water from tank to bucket or barrels, but I don't do it very often.

NOT A ADVERTISEMENT JUST FOR HELP.

Here is a system i made and use in my van water storage shed it will give you a exact idea on the speed it takes just ignore the other bits.

The bilge pump is the same one as @Dave B has given a link to. they are very very good in my opinion matey.

If you need any help making one just holla.

Thanks for the replies chaps, appreciate it. So do you think the bilge pump would be quicker than just splitting the outlet I already have on the tank and just letting gravity and pressure empty it into the backpack? I assume it would be faster when the tank is full as there is more pressure. Ideally would like to fill in less than a minute.  Bilge pump looks like the ticket but was wanting to avoid having to get another battery as weight is already fast becoming an issue for the van. 

It uses such little current as is a tiny electric motor i would wire it straight to your existing power supply and not use a seperate battery

I have tried using gravity and it takes an age

I would have time to roll and smoke a cigarette in the time it takes to fill a 25l drum

2 minutes ago, Dave B said:

It uses such little current as is a tiny electric motor i would wire it straight to your existing power supply and not use a seperate battery

I have tried using gravity and it takes an age

I would have time to roll and smoke a cigarette in the time it takes to fill a 25l drum

I see. Another issue is that I can see me needing to fill the backpack every two jobs or so. The on/off switch for these bilge pumps is on the actual pump so I would need a quick on/off as it would not be economical to keep attaching and disconnecting to the battery every other job. Wondering if there is any kind of pump that can just come o automatically when the trigger nozzle is depressed? Wishful thinking on my part that, methinks.

43 minutes ago, CustomMadeUK said:

NOT A ADVERTISEMENT JUST FOR HELP.

Here is a system i made and use in my van water storage shed it will give you a exact idea on the speed it takes just ignore the other bits.

The bilge pump is the same one as @Dave B has given a link to. they are very very good in my opinion matey.

If you need any help making one just holla.

Where do you get the conduit boxes from?

I have been looking about on ebay for my trolley but don't know which one is best to fit the trolley i have

It is the same handy trolley as you use

I use a titan 175lpm dirty water pump for filling my tank and drums from my ibc which is so much quicker  (literally 7 seconds for a 25l drum) but the bilge pump is in the van tank as it is a 210l upright which takes up a lot less space than drums so gives me extra storage in the space of 2-3 drums side by side

1 hour ago, Dave B said:

Where do you get the conduit boxes from?

I have been looking about on ebay for my trolley but don't know which one is best to fit the trolley i have

It is the same handy trolley as you use

I use a titan 175lpm dirty water pump for filling my tank and drums from my ibc which is so much quicker  (literally 7 seconds for a 25l drum) but the bilge pump is in the van tank as it is a 210l upright which takes up a lot less space than drums so gives me extra storage in the space of 2-3 drums side by side

CEF Are good matey. i dont if this is in your area but any or most electrical shops on industrial estates i find have them.

350x300x130 i think mate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/junction-box-electric-enclosure-adaptable-box-dust-splash-proof-IP65-350x300x130-/231914156078?hash=item35ff29302e:g:3G8AAOSwv~xXEJ3d

Everyone should give @CustomMadeUK a break

I asked the question on another thread but have since seen nothing but trying to help people

If he was advertising either Gav or I would say something

Any more comments about it on threads and i will remove them in the interest of keeping the peace

Also any actual advertising will not be tolerated and we all know the rules

Gonna have a bit of a tidy up on these threads

• Like 2

Thankyou @Dave B all i want to do is be a part of the forum and help fellow cleaners also see what others have done to better there business as i have learnt a lot from people on this site to get to where i am today.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, marc674 said:

I have used a length of plastic waste pipe. One end on top of pump other end pushed on top of tank. Not moved in 2 years

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Cheers. Trouble is my tank top is only about a foot from the roof. Really can't be arsed to take the whole tank out the van as that's the only way I could do that. 

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.