Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beginner wfp pricing help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

J

Jeffhutchings

Hi

I have just started up window cleaning with a Gardiner backpack and CLX18 pole and would love some advice on pricing. I have been assuming that the frames are included but have been advised that this is not the case. Please help me with a solid guide as I am lost and in the dark now. I also live in Bournemouth so again a consideration as up north for instance they charge less etc. Many thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
The frames would be included. You should price is the same as if you were doing traditional and doing all the frames, sills and windows.

Hi

I have just started up window cleaning with a Gardiner backpack and CLX18 pole and would love some advice on pricing. I have been assuming that the frames are included but have been advised that this is not the case. Please help me with a solid guide as I am lost and in the dark now. I also live in Bournemouth so again a consideration as up north for instance they charge less etc. Many thanks

Jeff

You could also find out what other windies are charging in your area.

I'm a liitle surprised by your question as these are the very basics for consideration before you start window cleaning. It part of a due diligence study to decide where window cleaning is a financially suitable career.

There are lots of window cleaners in Bournemouth but none have a website with a price list.

So all I can suggest is working on what you need to earn an hour. So if you want to earn £25 then you need to consider how long it will take to clean each house you are canvassing. For example, we found that we can easily clean a 3 bed semi in about 20 minutes excluding traveling time. So in this example you will need to charge about £15.00 for your services. If they have a conservatory, then that price will go up as there is more to clean, probably to £20 or even £25.00 depending on it size.

Here's a company in Southampton who does advertise his prices.

http://www.perfect-windows.co.uk/

Many say he will never get those prices, but he is expanding so he must be.

It's a matter of looking professional and backing that up with a quality service.

At one time we went by the rule of thumb up North where pricing is much lower due to the economy and people perception. If you quote for 10 jobs and you only get 5 then your pricing is about right. If you quote for 10 jobs and get none then your pricing is too high, and if you get them all, then your pricing is a little low.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still new to it all but use the £1 a window as a rough guide & then compare that to how long I think it would take me & how much I want an hour. I include frames etc & if the customer balks at my price sometimes give them a reduced quote for glass only.

Building a good round is hard work but don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and try to beat people on price all the time as you will not have the motivation to go back. Some things to consider;

* Price what you think you can get away with, if there is a new Range Rover on the drive, adjust your pricing accordingly

* What you think may be expensive (or cheap) is completely different to what someone else thinks

* Make people like you and want to do business with you. in return you will get away with charging more and gain that all important loyalty.

Thanks very much guys. I was actually going by the £1 a window rule and including frames. I just noticed a local firm not doing frames as a rule but I am happy and can do an average 3 bed semi in about 35 minutes on a first clean 25 on a maintenance so I think I am on the right track. Maybe I will just include frames, to be honest I find it easier just to use that bit more water and clean the lot. It also gives me job satisfaction

Thanks very much guys. I was actually going by the £1 a window rule and including frames. I just noticed a local firm not doing frames as a rule but I am happy and can do an average 3 bed semi in about 35 minutes on a first clean 25 on a maintenance so I think I am on the right track. Maybe I will just include frames, to be honest I find it easier just to use that bit more water and clean the lot. It also gives me job satisfaction
£1 a window seems very cheap? 

£1 a window seems very cheap? 
That's bog standard. But then you start adding things on that the customer doesn't know about which gives you a good price. Like add doors and charge accordingly. 

Always round up, never round down. 

That's bog standard. But then you start adding things on that the customer doesn't know about which gives you a good price. Like add doors and charge accordingly. 

Always round up, never round down. 
Fair enough! Maybe i'm blinded living in ridiculously overpriced Surrey!

I think I will up it a tad as everyone is saying yes to my quotes. I will round up to the nearest pound note and also see what others are charging here

There is a lot of variable to price. There is some jobs I do that if I priced per window they just wouldn't be achievable at all.

Then there are others that due to location or difficult access the price is higher.

I tend to estimate time spent on a job for pricing, including how close it is to other stuff I can do. This helps me focus on an hourly rate that's realistic and attainable.

That is all very vague info I know, but basically...nothing is set in stone.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

In the beginning you will make mistakes with pricing. There will be those you price too low and will hate doing. There will be ones you get spot on and ones you will over price and feel guilty everytime you turn up. All my low priced work that I got wrong when I started have been given a price rise, up to where I think they should be. Most have been understanding and accepted.

Be confident and act like you have been doing it for twenty years.

Base it on time taken then Add a couple of quid for good measure. It makes all the difference over the month 

300 monthly jobs at just  2 quid more is 600 quid a month in your pocket.

Huge

When I started I did pound a window then added a couple quid on top I soon found my market and updated it a bit more when I seen I was doing a better job nearly all where happy to pay a little more for better job

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Back