Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

The "W" word


Patrick Flaherty

Recommended Posts

Hi Lads,

 

With winter approaching and me only starting slowly mid winter last time need advice on work wear.

 

Looking for recommendations on shoes, gloves, jackets and wet gear......price & suppliers would be good too !!!!!

 

Many thanks in advance. 

Link to comment

work trousers, hoody, any footwear and thick socks. Goretex waterproofs for wet weather, and a decent set of long johns and thermal top. Hats a good idea too. If your trad then gloves are as useful as a chocolate teapot, if wfp then look around on here. Also Vaseline for your lips is a good idea too.

Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

work trousers, hoody, any footwear and thick socks. Goretex waterproofs for wet weather, and a decent set of long johns and thermal top. Hats a good idea too. If your trad then gloves are as useful as a chocolate teapot, if wfp then look around on here. Also Vaseline for your lips is a good idea too.

So what your saying is standard issued kit by the sounds of it? Throw in a cb 95 smock haha.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Gazz said:

So what your saying is standard issued kit by the sounds of it? Throw in a cb 95 smock haha.

that's pretty much it, still use lots of my gear from my army days, it works.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Only things i'v got left are socks, few mesh tins and a day sack lol.

after 8 years i aquired a stupid amount of gear, already disposed of a skip full, got fair bit left for camping, work etc. My work belt is made from webbing pouches, there's a photo on an old thread of it, misplaced it atm as I rarely use it and brought it in to tweak it and its been moved somewhere by the kids lol

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

after 8 years i aquired a stupid amount of gear, already disposed of a skip full, got fair bit left for camping, work etc. My work belt is made from webbing pouches, there's a photo on an old thread of it, misplaced it atm as I rarely use it and brought it in to tweak it and its been moved somewhere by the kids lol

You end up with a surreal amount of kit and just fire It away lol 

Link to comment
On 05/09/2017 at 15:50, Patrick Flaherty said:

Hi Lads,

 

With winter approaching and me only starting slowly mid winter last time need advice on work wear.

 

Looking for recommendations on shoes, gloves, jackets and wet gear......price & suppliers would be good too !!!!!

 

Many thanks in advance. 

Does your mum still pack your sarnies as well?  

 

Try Google for prices mate. 

 

What I have discovered is your idea of cold and mine are two very different things.  For winter I am usually jeans, polo and the addition of a beanie hat. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I have all my filters in the van and drop a hosepipe from the flat to the van to make pure. Thinking of moving it all in the kitchen so it doesn't freeze. One less thing to worry about

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Recommendations from a lifelong Alaskan:

1. Stay dry. Don't have cotton clothing next to your skin because the body is perspiring all the time. Wear nylon, silk, polypropolene or wool next to your skin.

2. Learn to use the layer system to stay cool. Note I said cool not warm, sweating is not a good thing in cold weather (see above). Give your body and mind a chance to learn to adapt to cold.

3. I use disposable latex gloves to keep my hands dry, this works good for short time exposures. Fortunately, our hands adapt quickly to cold as the blood vessels expand (moving more warm blood to the extremities) with repeated exposure to cold.

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept