Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

The "W" word

Patrick Flaherty

Hi Lads,

With winter approaching and me only starting slowly mid winter last time need advice on work wear.

Looking for recommendations on shoes, gloves, jackets and wet gear......price & suppliers would be good too !!!!!

Many thanks in advance. 

work trousers, hoody, any footwear and thick socks. Goretex waterproofs for wet weather, and a decent set of long johns and thermal top. Hats a good idea too. If your trad then gloves are as useful as a chocolate teapot, if wfp then look around on here. Also Vaseline for your lips is a good idea too.

30 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

work trousers, hoody, any footwear and thick socks. Goretex waterproofs for wet weather, and a decent set of long johns and thermal top. Hats a good idea too. If your trad then gloves are as useful as a chocolate teapot, if wfp then look around on here. Also Vaseline for your lips is a good idea too.

So what your saying is standard issued kit by the sounds of it? Throw in a cb 95 smock haha.

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

So what your saying is standard issued kit by the sounds of it? Throw in a cb 95 smock haha.

that's pretty much it, still use lots of my gear from my army days, it works.

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Only things i'v got left are socks, few mesh tins and a day sack lol.

after 8 years i aquired a stupid amount of gear, already disposed of a skip full, got fair bit left for camping, work etc. My work belt is made from webbing pouches, there's a photo on an old thread of it, misplaced it atm as I rarely use it and brought it in to tweak it and its been moved somewhere by the kids lol

2 minutes ago, Clisty1989 said:

after 8 years i aquired a stupid amount of gear, already disposed of a skip full, got fair bit left for camping, work etc. My work belt is made from webbing pouches, there's a photo on an old thread of it, misplaced it atm as I rarely use it and brought it in to tweak it and its been moved somewhere by the kids lol

You end up with a surreal amount of kit and just fire It away lol 

On 05/09/2017 at 15:50, Patrick Flaherty said:

Hi Lads,

With winter approaching and me only starting slowly mid winter last time need advice on work wear.

Looking for recommendations on shoes, gloves, jackets and wet gear......price & suppliers would be good too !!!!!

Many thanks in advance. 

Does your mum still pack your sarnies as well?  

Try Google for prices mate. 

What I have discovered is your idea of cold and mine are two very different things.  For winter I am usually jeans, polo and the addition of a beanie hat. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have all my filters in the van and drop a hosepipe from the flat to the van to make pure. Thinking of moving it all in the kitchen so it doesn't freeze. One less thing to worry about

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Recommendations from a lifelong Alaskan:

1. Stay dry. Don't have cotton clothing next to your skin because the body is perspiring all the time. Wear nylon, silk, polypropolene or wool next to your skin.

2. Learn to use the layer system to stay cool. Note I said cool not warm, sweating is not a good thing in cold weather (see above). Give your body and mind a chance to learn to adapt to cold.

3. I use disposable latex gloves to keep my hands dry, this works good for short time exposures. Fortunately, our hands adapt quickly to cold as the blood vessels expand (moving more warm blood to the extremities) with repeated exposure to cold.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.