Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2kw immersion element?

Jonathan Sanderson

I'm finally getting round to converting my IBC tank to a hot tank, and fitting an element to it. 

Im unsure if it will definitely work, due to the thickness of the plastic, but I'm going to use a mechanical flange and give it a go. 

Ive always used 2kw heaters in the past, but they seem hard to come by now, has anyone bought one recently? 

Preferably a long one, 27 inch or so. 

Many thanks. 

I've had nothing but problems with my immersion heater - to the point where I fitting an external 'Baxter' type element to see if that would make a difference. Four have failed in the space of less than a year. I have always brought titanium elements so wonder if a more expensive commercial type would fair any better. You should be OK installing into an IBC tank as the walls are pretty thin - I had to fit mine without the seal as the tank walls are around 5mm thick on my tank so used LS-X sealant on the threads - never leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

A company called heat rod shop will make them to order if you email them. Very helpful, £50-60 when I was quoted I think. Reminds me to order one for my tank in preparation for the colder weather 

I've had nothing but problems with my immersion heater - to the point where I fitting an external 'Baxter' type element to see if that would make a difference. Four have failed in the space of less than a year. I have always brought titanium elements so wonder if a more expensive commercial type would fair any better. You should be OK installing into an IBC tank as the walls are pretty thin - I had to fit mine without the seal as the tank walls are around 5mm thick on my tank so used LS-X sealant on the threads - never leaked.

Thts is weird as immersions are usually super reliable? 

Theres not a great deal to go wrong with them. 

Mayb just a string of bad fortune. 

I have been using a 3kw immersion for 7 or 8 years now. Fitted a mechanical flange and the correct 16amp rig I have had no issues with it at all.
emoji106.png

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thats the kind of reliability I've usually heard and experienced with immersions. It's stamrange that aglassact has had issues. 

I was told the same - which was the main factor in me installing one. I've sent 3 of the four back and have all been replaced under warranty so know it's not an installation issue. I'm just using the diesel heater at the moment until I sort my new tank up, that will have a threaded boss build it to the tank so if I do have any further issues I can just unscrew it from the outside without hassle of trying to get the backnut off which is just out of reach of my short arms!!

Mechanical flange is the brass boss which you fit to the tank first then the immersion element screws into that- like on a domestic hot water tank. This makes for a sure, heavy duty and leak free fitting. 16amp is the grade of electrics between the element right back to the main consumer unit which it runs from- this is a must for 3kw elements unless you wish to burn your house down!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back