Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rain Water Harvesting Advice Please Help!

T2000

Hello everyone, I have recently decided to add window cleaning to my already existing cleaning buisness! I live in a hard water area and as I'm just starting out I haven't invested in a RO system! Instead I'm collecting rainwater to filter through a di tank fitted in my van.

My problem is I have rigged up my downpipe into an Ibc with a mesh filter at the end of the spout but there is still some amount of sediment in the ibc! I don't want to damage my pump or di tank so how can I pre filter this water before I pump it into the on board tank in my van? 

Im going to be using a sump pump for transfer or the rain water. I'm looking for any advice from people with more experience in rain water harvesting! 

Any advice will be appreciated, Thanks.

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of roof are you collecting from?

I have a big flat plastic roof but if possible when it starts to rain i will divert it to the ground for the first 10-15 minutes of a good rain to flush most of the **** out first

I have a filter comprising of 2 thick socks with a lump of aquarium sponge filter before it in the end of my downpipe so minimum muck gets into the tank

Just take it out and rinse it all off every few weeks

150566510278788851827.jpg

Thanks for the advice Dave! It's a tiled roof and there fairly new tiles, the water entering the IBC is at 17 ppm. I'm using some tights at the end of the downspout but I like the idea of the aquarium sponge too, maybe I should get some and give it a go! I don't think the tights are doing the job! 

Also how are you transferring the water from your IBC Dave? I was thinking of using a submersible pump?

I use a submersible dirty water pump from screwfix 

50 quid and 170lpm i think

Only takes a couple of minutes to fill up

I use a trolley and drums nowadays though since getting rid of the van mount so fill up my drums in seconds and chuck them in the van

You want to cover that tank with plastic lining soon aswell,  or you'll have algae before you now it.  ; )

Tarp is what i use

As long as the light is blocked out to avoid algae growth

I used black membrane from screwfix, but u get loads in a roll, you won't  need that much, I got two tanks and still have half a roll left, it's heavy duty, last for years, take tank out of frame  first, wrap it like a big Xmas present, it's a pain to do but worth it,  then when it's back in frame, it fits like a glove .

20170922_092734.jpg

You should be fine with the small sediment through a sump pump. I currently use a 'rescued' boiler pump to transfer my water so have a clear bowl 5 micron pre filter. I'm on the verge of finishing my new collecting system and have fitted a 'dead leg' which I can flush after every downpour. I've used filters (all types), tights, socks - you name it and this is the best method I have used so far. Admittedly it's attached to a brand new EPDM roof so the water is at 4ppm - a lot of dust collects on the roof as we are having a school built in the field behind so it's getting tested daily with all this rain!!!!
b829c31a123212565da672678648a3c7.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I left my ibc and algae was there within a week! I wasn't expecting it to grow so fast!!! I cleaned it out again and cladded it this time around as I had some pallets laying about and had some free time on Sunday. I've set up another IBC on the other side of the roof and I'm going to connect the original ibc to two other tanks in tandem and this time I'll use tarp, the set up looks good jdp, how much was the roll from screwfix? I've already had over 900 litres of water in the first week and we've only had a couple of heavy downpour days! I'm using a sock on the end of the downpipe now as Dave B suggested and it works great! Cheers for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

I left my ibc and algae was there within a week! I wasn't expecting it to grow so fast!!! I cleaned it out again and cladded it this time around as I had some pallets laying about and had some free time on Sunday. I've set up another IBC on the other side of the roof and I'm going to connect the original ibc to two other tanks in tandem and this time I'll use tarp, the set up looks good jdp, how much was the roll from screwfix? I've already had over 900 litres of water in the first week and we've only had a couple of heavy downpour days! I'm using a sock on the end of the downpipe now as Dave B suggested and it works great! Cheers for all the advice guys really appreciate it.

Hi T2000,  heres a link for screwfix....  https://www.screwfix.com/c/building-joinery/damp-proofing/cat850236?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-building-_-dampproofmembrane

its quite expensive, but good plastic, last for few years,  plus i think it looks neater , wrap the bottom aswell, and any pipes going into the tank,  if you do deside to do it this way, have fun,  it is awkward, hers another link if you want to watch.   cheers  jdp

: )  

Back