Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using squeegee

WCF

Help Support WCF:

B

BricieFaePilton

Hi. I have found someone who is willing to take me on as a trainee, how long on average does it take to  learn how to use a squeegee? The company is aware that I basicallly have no experience.

I've tried for the past couple of days on my own house windows to master the "s" method, thanks to youtube, but I always leave some watermarks down the side, or the occasional streak because of the rubber blade hitting the window edge.

I'm worried that I won't get the hang of it once I start working for this company, its way harder than it looks, it's so frustrating!!

Thanks 

Brice

Hi. I have found someone who is willing to take me on as a trainee, how long on average does it take to  learn how to use a squeegee? The company is aware that I basicallly have no experience.

I've tried for the past couple of days on my own house windows to master the "s" method, thanks to youtube, but I always leave some watermarks down the side, or the occasional streak because of the rubber blade hitting the window edge.

I'm worried that I won't get the hang of it once I start working for this company, its way harder than it looks, it's so frustrating!!

Thanks 
Brice

It takes years to master , but just keep on practicing and practice makes perfect.
You should get the hang of it tho.
Practice everyday over and over again and it will happen.
I've been window cleaning for ten years and learn every day new little things.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It takes years to master , but just keep on practicing and practice makes perfect.
You should get the hang of it tho.
Practice everyday over and over again and it will happen.
I've been window cleaning for ten years and learn every day new little things.

I got chucked in the deep end back in 1990 before i finished school

Mates dad showed me "this is how you do it", "wipe up any bits you miss with this scrim and you'll be fine,, keep up"

That was it and i did my best from day one

After a couple of days i was hardly detailing anything

I always say the best way is to jump in with both feet and blag it until you can do it

Thanks 

Brice
Don't worry abouy streaks.. that is what scrims and microfibres are for

Wipe up what you miss and each day you will miss less

Don't worry about it as that is the point of detailing cloths

Thanks guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll post an update after the first week..

Thanks again

Brice

Thanks 
Brice
this may help...

Don't worry abouy streaks.. that is what scrims and microfibres are for

Wipe up what you miss and each day you will miss less

Don't worry about it as that is the point of detailing cloths
And you will suddenly get the "knack" of it.

You will not do a great job everytime (no one does). If there is a line etc as said, that is what the detailing cloth is for, or do the window again, or the section that is the problem. Another tip there that newbies do not get told, you can applicate up and squeegee problem parts of the glass without doing entire window again.

Thanks 

Brice
If you've been taken on as a trainee, it's up to your employer to teach you what you will be expected to do. It's a very wide world is squeegee-ing, all depends how good your employer is, whether they are particular or not. If you work hard at it, then you will have a skill, which means you can go to another employer if this one is not good, or even start up on your own. I can't go into great detail about squeegee-ing here, I will just say, that leaving a streak because the squeegee is hitting the edge - when approaching the edge glide downwards to meet the edge. leaving water marks is not something you are doing wrong, these days with plastic windows you have to get a good 'edge' and that's down mainly to the squeegee. Good Luck!

The thing that helped me most was to focus on accuracy rather than speed to begin with. If you've ever been to a martial arts class you'll know that the mantra is: form comes first; speed comes later. OK. Window cleaning isn't quite in the same league, but the basic idea is OK.

The thing that helped me most was to focus on accuracy rather than speed to begin with. If you've ever been to a martial arts class you'll know that the mantra is: form comes first; speed comes later. OK. Window cleaning isn't quite in the same league, but the basic idea is OK.
soap on ! squeege off! karate kid style!!!

soap on ! squeege off! karate kid style!!!

I did AiKiDo for many years and the whole idea was to be at one with your partner and your weapon if you used one. When throwing a partner you follow the same trajectory as when using a sword to strike. That's the AiKi bit - it means harmony - being as one. So I suppose (and I'd never thought of it in this way before) you want the squeegee to be an extension of your arm rather than a hand tool which is separate from you.

Deep stuff this, Grasshopper.

Having a 3rd Dan in aikido has not made me one with a squeegee yet.
emoji16.png
my accelerator is still a pain in the a $$

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If using your weapon is causing discomfort in the glutes area, may I humbly suggest that you check your stance and posture?

You're quite there, if ever I try to rush I always **** it up and make mistakes, so now, just work normal.

Back