Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery charging new vans

WCF

Help Support WCF:

G

Hi all,

I was wondering who is currently using a smart alternator van (regen braking) etc.

How do you all charge your battery's?

Standard charge from mains every other day or a battery to battery charger running of your van battery?

If your using a battery to battery charger, what brand?

Thanks,

Louis

Hi all,

I was wondering who is currently using a smart alternator van (regen braking) etc.

How do you all charge your battery's?

Standard charge from mains every other day or a battery to battery charger running of your van battery?

If your using a battery to battery charger, what brand?

Thanks,

Louis
I posted this under tutorials a few months ago so will give you a little info.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/22375-split-charge-relay/

The price of the Sterling Battery to Battery charger is now £189.00 for the units excluding wiring.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterling-Power-12v-30amp-Battery-to-Battery-Charger-BB1230-/252410937461?hash=item3ac4dd4075:g:iUoAAOSwyltZTR4-

They also supply them in kits

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you using one yourself?

No, I have an older van with a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) It doesn't fully charge my leisure battery as I don't do much mileage. I'm tempted to buy one of these and compare it against the VSR but that's for another day.

Grippa do one and have a write up on their site. A few have had theirs and the Sterling fitted and both groups using it have reported it works for them.

But as with most things, windies don't do indepth studies so without facts its difficult to come to an exact conclusion. In our industry its seat of your pants experience and as we all are different, what works for them (or they think works for them - with no disrespect) may not work for another.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, I have an older van with a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay) It doesn't fully charge my leisure battery as I don't do much mileage. I'm tempted to buy one of these and compare it against the VSR but that's for another day.

Grippa do one and have a write up on their site. A few have had theirs and the Sterling fitted and both groups using it have reported it works for them.
But as with most things, windies don't do indepth studies so without facts its difficult to come to an exact conclusion. In our industry its seat of your pants experience and as we all are different, what works for them (or they think works for them - with no disrespect) may not work for another.

Grippa one doesn't seem to have settings so it's always on, it only has a temperature cut off invade it gets too hot.

Sterling has a night mode, not sure if it cuts down when battery is fully charged though.

That's why I'd like to hear from people running them.

I have 2 leisure batterys they last a good 5 days before the one i am using needs a charge then i just take it out of the truck charge it up In the garage.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Its recommended for battery longevity that a battery shouldn't drop below 50% charged. So if you have a 110 amp battery then 50% is when you have used 55 amps.

Each pump draws around 4.5 to 5 amps per hour. We estimate that our pumps run for around 50% of a cleaning hour doing residential.

Grippa one doesn't seem to have settings so it's always on, it only has a temperature cut off invade it gets too hot.

Sterling has a night mode, not sure if it cuts down when battery is fully charged though.

That's why I'd like to hear from people running them.

It does go through charging phases as an intelligent charger does, bulk boost, absorption, condition and then float. Voltages are also user adjustable.

Instruction manual attached if you haven't seen it (I'm sure you have.)

View attachment 11364

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mounted my charger in the van and charge the battery every night.

My battery is some special type used in traffic or weather observation stations. It's rated at 110a. I got it from a friend who somehow got hold of a bunch of them. His didn't last long, but mine holds up well so far.

My battery is some special type used in traffic or weather observation stations. It's rated at 110a. I got it from a friend who somehow got hold of a bunch of them. His didn't last long, but mine holds up well so far.
Was his name Trigger?

Can you charge the battery overnight whilst leaving it still wired up or would I need to disconnect the pumps ect from terminals before use. I have a numex intelligent charger.

Can you charge the battery overnight whilst leaving it still wired up or would I need to disconnect the pumps ect from terminals before use. I have a numex intelligent charger.

Yes. I can't see why if you have a master power switch or turn it off via you controller.

I do have a dpst switch that kills all power to the pump, electronics etc, just to be sure though.

Done it this way for years without disconnecting anything and never had a problem.

I have a bi directional voltage sensing relay. When I plug the leisure battery in it also charges the van battery as well.

Done it this way for years without disconnecting anything and never had a problem.

I have a bi directional voltage sensing relay. When I plug the leisure battery in it also charges the van battery as well.
Cool that will make things a whole lot easier.
Used to have a relay in old van but new transit custom I think has issues with that hence the purchase of battery charger.
Thanks for the advice people it's invaluable at times. Cheers[emoji12]

Latest Posts

Back