Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What vehice do you use?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

windymillers

I have been installing U.P.V.C Fascias, Soffits, Gutters and Cladding since 1986 and have had many different vehicles over the years,

currently using a Toyota Hiace with a custom made roof rack. I am able to lift the ladders onto the roofrack without having to get onto the roof.

This will be my last year installing as I am getting older and I get a lot of gutter clearing and conservatory cleaning requests.

I wont need a big van anymore as I will only take 1 ladder and 1 pair of steps with me.

What type of van do you use for window cleaning? Do any of you use a car?

I use a car, old Mazda 323, can't get much else in it tho, its rammed. Gonna get a van when funds allow. Cars are doable, vans are easier

Ckisty, is your car insurance much higher using it for work?

paulben, I am not too familir with the height of a Vauxhall Combo, are you able to secure a ladder on the roof while

standing on the ground?

paulben, I am not too familir with the height of a Vauxhall Combo, are you able to secure a ladder on the roof while

standing on the ground?
no, just have occupation down as window cleaner & business cover. That's all they need to know. I only use it for work anyway so annual mileage is low as well.

standing on the ground?
No have to stand on my small box/step ( but have to use that for downstairs windows as being a bit short )

I have always had vans; Ford, VW and currently Vauxhall combi. I can slide my ladders onto the roof-rack from the rear and standing on the floor. The other thing is tax. If you use a car then you have to claim mileage (so much a mile) whereas a van is fully deductible, which is very useful. You can only claim for a van if you have a 'family car'.

The other thing is tax. If you use a car then you have to claim mileage (so much a mile) whereas a van is fully deductible, which is very useful. You can only claim for a van if you have a 'family car'.

When I bought my Hiace from an auction a few years back the accountant I was paying at the time tried to deduct the total cost of the van for that tax year, the HMRC told me it had to be spread out over a number of years. I no longer use that Accountant.

As I will be changing my work from UPVC installer to Gutter/Conservatory cleaning I can expect a big pay drop, and I understand you can earn 11,500 before tax becomes an issue.

When I bought my Hiace from an auction a few years back the accountant I was paying at the time tried to deduct the total cost of the van for that tax year, the HMRC told me it had to be spread out over a number of years. I no longer use that Accountant.

As I will be changing my work from UPVC installer to Gutter/Conservatory cleaning I can expect a big pay drop, and I understand you can earn 11,500 before tax becomes an issue.
tax yes, but you need to pay ni

Combo in garage at moment engine management light on turbo stopped working and lights to tell you when to change gear ( don't know why you need them ) not working . Van only done 1300 miles not a good start .

seems unfair if you can only claim for van if you have a family car. Being penalised for not having enough money for two vehicles.

tried to quote that bit that rugbywolf said. computer wouldnt let me. Had hell today trying to get my proof of no claims discount to new provider online.  Oh bring back the paper and pen ANY day lol

tried to quote that bit that rugbywolf said. computer wouldnt let me. Had hell today trying to get my proof of no claims discount to new provider online.  Oh bring back the paper and pen ANY day lol
I will be changing my insurance broker next January, been with them since the 1990's but they cost much more than I can get it with another company, plus they have become more unreliable the last few years.

I have never made a claim in my life but the maximum NCB they give is 9 years.

I understood that when taking out insurance with a new company the renewal letter the old company sends will be proof enough of the NCB.

What proof did you have to provide?

I will be changing my insurance broker next January, been with them since the 1990's but they cost much more than I can get it with another company, plus they have become more unreliable the last few years.

I understood that when taking out insurance with a new company the renewal letter the old company sends will be proof enough of the NCB.

Same one since the 90's crikey, I have gone through a broker for the last 6 years but jumping ship this year, As they were £60 more expensive for my wifes new car and no doubt will be more expensive when my renewal is due in the next 5 weeks.

I had the same

Was with tesco insurance for 10 years and it kept creeping up

It worked out cheaper if i left and rejoined as a new customer which i thought was really bad practice to treat loyal customers that way

Now I'm with another firm and my insurance is back down to around £300 again

Back