Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changed resin, no difference to PPM

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi all

I’m on about my fifth resin change since I bought my system last October and I’m having a headache. 

TDS rose to about 4ppm last week so decided to change it over today, but after pushing about 30L through the vessel the output is 4-6ppm still. 

Changed my RO filters last weekend too so pretty fresh filtration. 

Notmally I would see 0ppm within 2 or 3 minutes but the pumps been on for at least 10 and no alteration to purity. 

Any ideas or do I need to be more patient?

I’ll be flushing the system for an hour or so when I put the fill on tonight so is it better to check post flush?

Unfortunately my input TDS is 320 so 37 is about as good as I’m going to get. I’ve had the system a year and every other resin change has been 0ppm but this is the first time I’ve used the Tulsion one so that’s the only variable. 

Unfortunately my input TDS is 320 so 37 is about as good as I’m going to get. I’ve had the system a year and every other resin change has been 0ppm but this is the first time I’ve used the Tulsion one so that’s the only variable. 
Mines 400 sometimes, 320ish at others, and it's between 6-8 with a booster pump so might be something you could do with in the long term. 

Mines 400 sometimes, 320ish at others, and it's between 6-8 with a booster pump so might be something you could do with in the long term. 
I’m renting so can’t install anything to the pipe work. Think I’ll empty and refill the vessel tomorrow after work and if that’s still bad I’ll re order the Unger stuff and see how I go. There’s nothing else wrong with my setup that I can fathom. 

If your tap tds is 320 and your pure tds from the r/o membrane is 37 then the problem is with the r/o membrane. Its running at an efficiency of 88%. A new good quality membrane should be around 97 to 98%.

You will use a lot of resin removing the remaining dissolved solids form your pure water.

Have you measured how much waste you have for each liter of pure you produce. At your tap water tds you should have about 6 parts of waste to 4 parts of pure - 60/40.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some fake tulsion about from what i have read on here

No way real tulsion would be **** 

Tulsion is the best stuff about and unger is no where near as good

37 is very high even for that input tds

Membranes should work around 97% efficient so for every 100ppm in you should get 3 out so yours should be around 9ppm after ro

Still the problem seems to be resin related if no change after changing it

There was some fake tulsion about from what i have read on here

No way real tulsion would be **** 

Tulsion is the best stuff about and unger is no where near as good

37 is very high even for that input tds

Membranes should work around 97% efficient so for every 100ppm in you should get 3 out so yours should be around 9ppm after ro

Still the problem seems to be resin related if no change after changing it

Bought it from WCW in July. Only opened it today as my Unger one lasted longer than usual. As for my systems membrane performance I questioned that with them too (Facelift Phoenix system so their own design) and the screen shot was their response. 

527C5787-A33A-46F6-9B2B-C45DA341DC22.png

even if the ro is pumping out 50 tds your resin should take tds to 000 and stay there for weeks not days ide check your di is fitted proply ie the rite way round or check for damage best bet is to empty out the resin and refill , my tap water is 70 ish tds and one di will take it to 000

Solved.

My vessel wasn't airtight as the screw thread wasn't quite flush.  After creating a puddle in my van after a few hours work today I took it out, gave it a good shake and closed the top so that it was sealed properly.  Hadn't noticed it yesterday as it was a microscopic gap.  Assuming that was allowing air in this would have had a direct effect on the process.

It's on 0ppm now after it's been sealed.

Always something simple.

Solved.

My vessel wasn't airtight as the screw thread wasn't quite flush.  After creating a puddle in my van after a few hours work today I took it out, gave it a good shake and closed the top so that it was sealed properly.  Hadn't noticed it yesterday as it was a microscopic gap.  Assuming that was allowing air in this would have had a direct effect on the process.

It's on 0ppm now after it's been sealed.

Always something simple.

You still need to solve the reason for the high tds output of the r/o unit.

Back