Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner SLX or CLX?

doce

Torn between the two.  Quite a difference in price, but even on the CLX27 the weight difference isn't that great - just 130g heavier than the SLX27 (1800g as against 1670g).

Any views, please?  I've already been convinced to go for better quality and upgrade to pure water!

Torn between the two.  Quite a difference in price, but even on the CLX27 the weight difference isn't that great - just 130g heavier than the SLX27 (1800g as against 1670g).

Any views, please?  I've already been convinced to go for better quality and upgrade to pure water!
I have got both a CLX22 pole and an SLX22 pole. I started off with a CLX which I used for about 4 years before I bought an SLX22. The CLX  is more whippy than the SLX and slightly more difficult to control.

As fellow windie has been using the CLX27 for years and didn't have a problem. He thought it was great as he used a fiberglass pole before that which is even more whippy.

You having nothing to compare it with so you will find it easier to adapt to. I personally won't go back to using a CLX22 as an everyday pole if I could possibilty help it as I prefer the better rigidity of the SLX. My next pole will probably be an SLX27 unless Alex has something else in the pipeline by then.

As a wfp newbie you are going to find the new process challenging to master to begin with. Having a whippy pole is just adding another piece to the new puzzle to get to grips with.

The unfortunate thing about swapping over to wfp is the cost involved. I understand that I I've got that teeshirt. But if you can dig a little deeper then go for an SLX. If you look after it, it will last you for a long time. Mine is nearly 6 years old; its had a clamp upgrade and been re-laquered twice. I see no reason why it won't do me a couple more years. So in your head you need to work out over a 5 year period what the difference in cost is between the 2 poles a week or a month. It will be peanuts.

If the CLX 27 is all you can honestly afford, then go for that. You can always upgrade to an SLX in the future.

Thanks - that's incredibly useful info.  As regards whippyness, I'm not even sure which size to go for, but the SLX/CLX27 seems about right to cover most eventualities, though I could be wrong on that too!

I'm guessing it's possible to remove one section to reduce that when possible, and add it again only when needed?  Probably sensible, pricewise, to go longer rather than shorter just to be sure?  I've got a few customers with up-facing skylight windows that take a bit of getting at.

I agree with everything spruce has said.  However, as carbon conducts electricity be aware that the base section of these poles is insulated for protection to the user, so if your remove it because you don't need it most of the time then you increase the risk of electric shock should you ever make contact with a source of electricity.  This could be a very low risk but that depends on where you are working.  It may be better to buy the SL-X22 or 25, and add extentions as you need them as they will be insulated too. These are usually the equvallent of the base section of the next size up pole if you see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slx all the way especially when doing gutters over a conservatory etc the extra rigidness is a godsend. Also it is a bigger outlay but think how much you can earn using it over the years you will have it. That said if you can only stretch to clx it's still a damn good pole

My son has an SLX25 and that gets him to 99% of the jobs. He can't reach the top 3rd floor window above the bay on an old Victorian house which I do with my SLX40.

GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

I have to stand in the middle of the road to get to that window in the apex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had really bad tennis elbow and changing from slx to clx has sorted that out because my elbow is no longer having to control the whip in the pole.

That said the lower the section of pole the less whippy because of greater diameter. I use slx 18 for 90% of my work and have sections 5 and 6 always clamped together to add on like adding one 10ft extension. I mention this because clx extensions fit an slx and are half the price so if money is really tight this may be a middle ground.

im looking at getting extension 7 and it will definitely be clx extension

if i was you ide get the slx ive had both and both grate poles that do the job but the cix is bendy and hard to controle  and on a windy day its even worse i think u need extreme brushes on a clx to make them easer to use i used a vikan 340g brush on mine and it was a propa bannah but i managed for like 2 years with that brush boith are good work horses but for me slx is well worth the extra coin

if u get an clx, a trick I use with my hybrid pole (27ft water genie barracuda, also a fantastic pole) is not to extend the 1st section. Makes the top heavier, but stops it whipping about.

I had really bad tennis elbow and changing from slx to clx has sorted that out because my elbow is no longer having to control the whip in the pole.

That said the lower the section of pole the less whippy because of greater diameter. I use slx 18 for 90% of my work and have sections 5 and 6 always clamped together to add on like adding one 10ft extension. I mention this because clx extensions fit an slx and are half the price so if money is really tight this may be a middle ground.

im looking at getting extension 7 and it will definitely be clx extension

You mean the other way around :1f602:

Back