Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner reinforced hose with a Univalve?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The missus has a long length of the green PU hose from Gardiners on her pole and it is a nightmare for kinking up and rolling up on itself. Literally every job we have to de-tangle it. I have on mine the Gardiners reinforced hose and I think it is great. It is a shorter length than she needs but it never coils up like PU hose does however I was wondering if anyone uses it with a Univalve? I know the PU hose is stiff enough to work fine but not sure if the reinforced hose is too stretchy for the Univalve? Also the reinforced hose is 9mm OD so not sure if that may affect use?

Any experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers

tghyhyhyhy.JPG

That is good hose with the univalve

In the summer it swells a lot with the heat but now winter is coming it would be fine

I like the pu hose though and if treated right it doesn't tangle itself up

I use green pu or all season pole hose on my trolley

30m green pu and then 20m all season into the pole

That is good hose with the univalve

In the summer it swells a lot with the heat but now winter is coming it would be fine

I like the pu hose though and if treated right it doesn't tangle itself up

I use green pu or all season pole hose on my trolley

30m green pu and then 20m all season into the pole
Cheers mate. She has 30 metres of the green PU and it is just tight coils. Stuck it in boiling water and stretched it out but it just springs back. Lots of time wasting. Gonna try the reinforced at 30 metres if you say its OK with the Univalve as my length lays nice an dflat.

The green PU hose is great stuff if you learn to manage it properly.  As an exercise, lay a length of it out - say 25 Mtrs - and fix one end to a reel or trolley/backpack and don’t connect it to a pole at the other end.  Take the pole end in your hand and untwist it till it lays flat. Once you have done this you will find you can wander about quite a bit whilst holding it without it coiling up so long as you yourself don’t turn a complete circle anywhere.  If you do just twist the hose one turn in the opposite direction.  It’s easier to write it down than to put it into practice but once you nail it, it makes working with PU hose much more trouble free.  The reinforced hose is heavier and more flexible so less prone to twisting up as you turn but it will eventually if you don’t untwist it. 

If you use a tubeless setup on your pole it makes things a little easier as you can disconnect at the base of the pole if need be every so often, untwist it and reconnect 

I use the reinforced hose on my trolley and univalve, I find the reinforced hose does twist alot at timesas well so needs untwisting.  The other way of untwisting is to open the univalve,(water comes out when pumpis switched off, so there is no pressure in the hose and then reels up better.

I use the reinforced hose on my trolley and univalve, I find the reinforced hose does twist alot at timesas well so needs untwisting.  The other way of untwisting is to open the univalve,(water comes out when pumpis switched off, so there is no pressure in the hose and then reels up better.

I find this to be especially true when using hot water

I have recently fitted the univalve to Gardiners pole hose, which I think is the above you are looking at. I find it's too stretchy, the univalve just isn't stopping the water flowing, its annoyed me so much today. I am going to try the exceed blue hose.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thing with the Univalve is, it was designed to work with a light hose, ideally the blue exceed hose. So if you use a heavier hose, ie, pvc hose or reinforced pole hose and then fit it in a long pole, the higher you extend the pole you will have at least three issues that could potentially cause problems.

1. The extra stretch in the longer length of hose.

2. More weight hanging on the Univalve. The spring in it can only support so much weight before it’ll give a less positive close to the flow when you operate it or it will not close at all.

Another problem I have had is when water gets in the pole.  This can also cause the Univalve to malfunction due to the friction between the hose and the wet sides of the pole.

With all the above though, I still wouldn’t be without mine. Once you know what the issues are you can figure out how to deal with them 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Gardiner's orange hot water hose with a univalve and it works fine. With the hot water up high and a 35ft pole mostly extended the hose can get a little stretchy, but you just get used to this and pull it a little harder and it shuts off fine. At ground and 1st storey no problems whatsoever. 

Thing with the Univalve is, it was designed to work with a light hose, ideally the blue exceed hose. So if you use a heavier hose, ie, pvc hose or reinforced pole hose and then fit it in a long pole, the higher you extend the pole you will have at least three issues that could potentially cause problems.

1. The extra stretch in the longer length of hose.

2. More weight hanging on the Univalve. The spring in it can only support so much weight before it’ll give a less positive close to the flow when you operate it or it will not close at all.

Another problem I have had is when water gets in the pole.  This can also cause the Univalve to malfunction due to the friction between the hose and the wet sides of the pole.

With all the above though, I still wouldn’t be without mine. Once you know what the issues are you can figure out how to deal with them 
This post has helped me so much, I am new to waterfed on a permanent basis, that is my issue when the pole is extended, shorter pole length it's fine.

The green PU hose is great stuff if you learn to manage it properly.  As an exercise, lay a length of it out - say 25 Mtrs - and fix one end to a reel or trolley/backpack and don’t connect it to a pole at the other end.  Take the pole end in your hand and untwist it till it lays flat. Once you have done this you will find you can wander about quite a bit whilst holding it without it coiling up so long as you yourself don’t turn a complete circle anywhere.  If you do just twist the hose one turn in the opposite direction.  It’s easier to write it down than to put it into practice but once you nail it, it makes working with PU hose much more trouble free.  The reinforced hose is heavier and more flexible so less prone to twisting up as you turn but it will eventually if you don’t untwist it. 

If you use a tubeless setup on your pole it makes things a little easier as you can disconnect at the base of the pole if need be every so often, untwist it and reconnect 
Agree with Mark, Also best  not to keep it coiled up over night and over a weekend I prefer the PU hose as it is easily nipped to stop water flow as I don't use a univalve.

Agree with Mark, Also best  not to keep it coiled up over night and over a weekend I prefer the PU hose as it is easily nipped to stop water flow as I don't use a univalve.

That’s what I do between windows when working working at height and the Univalve is not responding as well.  Fold the hose in my hand.  PU hose is much tougher than the yellow all season hose in this regard.  The yellow pole hose was all right whilst new, but give it a couple of months and it would split when doing this.

Thought I'd add a photo of what can be done with the green PU hose when managed well.  This is how I work and what my hose looks like in use.  I follows me as I walk between properties and seldom causes me issues when mannaged as I described earlier.  This is 16mtrs and is the length I use most of the time.  Another tip to add, don't coil it up too tightly when stored

GreenPuHose_00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed 30 foot of reinforced hose and it is MUCH nicer to work with and Univalve works a treat with it.  Funny how we all have different ideas on whats best.  Horses for courses and all that. Thanks for all the advice.

On another note,  is it OK to use the Univalve with the Gardiner backopack to turn on and off while the backpack is left on? Wont damage the pump at all? It does that chug, chug, chug noise on and off but I read that is normal and wont damage the unit?

Installed 30 foot of reinforced hose and it is MUCH nicer to work with and Univalve works a treat with it.  Funny how we all have different ideas on whats best.  Horses for courses and all that. Thanks for all the advice.

On another note,  is it OK to use the Univalve with the Gardiner backopack to turn on and off while the backpack is left on? Wont damage the pump at all? It does that chug, chug, chug noise on and off but I read that is normal and wont damage the unit?
Lol 'chug chug' noise is your pressure switch coming on, no it won't damage it. I have a backpack which I hardly use, but when I do, I don't like leaving the pressure switch working to long.

The reinforced hose might be ok now, but in hot weather I found it got stretchy and made it hard work with the univalve. Took it all out and replaced it with blue p.u exeed hose. 

ive just got this hose with my new 18SLX, going to fit a Uni valve to it next week,  when i get back from Palma,     just thought id mention that.   LOL

Crazy how different everyone’s options are but that’s the way it is. We use the reinforced hose with univalves and hot water around 40 degrees and find it works fine even in the slx35. Just have to pull a bit harder at height

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I have just found out my hose is called the all season hose. Would I be better to change it, to reenforced or the blue exceed? 
If using a univalve then yes. The blue p.u hose isn't perfect, but when the weather gets warm, it's not as stretchy as the reinforced hose imo 

Back