Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Career day at school

Iron Giant

Staff member
Well who would have thought i got invited to go talk to some kids at a local comprehensive special needs school yesterday, It was bit daunting at first but all in all it was good experience. Some bigger local firms had been invited but never even bothered to turn up despite promising to attend and it was only for an hour or so and the kids had put a lot of effort in and laid on sandwiches etc. 

Well who would have thought i got invited to go talk to some kids at a local comprehensive special needs school yesterday, It was bit daunting at first but all in all it was good experience. Some bigger local firms had been invited but never even bothered to turn up despite promising to attend and it was only for an hour or so and the kids had put a lot of effort in and laid on sandwiches etc. 

Did you have to give a talk or demonstration? I think I'd be nervous talking. I bet it was rewarding though.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Full respect Iron Giant my son attends a special needs school.
It's a couple of hours out of work.
But much more rewarding.
Kodos.[emoji4] [emoji4]

Thanks Sul, In all honesty it was a last minute thing I had to drop everything and be their in 10 minutes.

The head teacher is a long term client and when she phoned and asked me I couldn't say no as the kids would have been disappointed as only 2 invitees out of 17 turned up.

If I am asked again next year in advance I will happily go

I was invited to give a talk at a local comprehensive by the careers teacher.  I stood in front of a class of about 30 fifteen year olds and told them all about how my business is structured.

They just sat there stoney faced, no smiles - no flickers of interest, just stared at me!

At least at the end a couple of them asked questions so I got a bit of a reaction!

talking to adults is easy, kids are more difficult to talk to. Fair play for going mate, just shows how more approachable small businesses are over large company's

Last edited by a moderator:
talking to adults is easy, kids are more difficult to talk to. Fair play for going mate, just shows how more approachable small businesses are over large company's
It was really easy to do actually as it was just a sit down and chat. But i had to ask some of the kids what questions they would want to ask me almost prompt them as they were a bit stuck for questions. I even got called sir that was a first and maybe a last  :1f603:

Back