Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First time clean with Ubik 2000. Help me not break something!

So I have a bungalow and conservatory to clean in a couple of days. After a lot of researching and reading through every thread I could find here I picked up some Ubik 2000 as it seemed to be the most recommended. 

However I am still a little unsure if Ubik 2000 can damage any part of the property? It would be upvc window frames and Conny roof etc, maybe some older wooden painted frames round back. Is any kind of material a no no with this stuff? What about the solution landing in plants and flowers under the windows? 

I plan on using a mix of 1 part Ubik to two parts water and see how I go with that. Brush dipped in the bucket of solution. All sound ok? 

Sorry, I know there are a lot of threads on this but just want to make sure I don't dissolve someone's house, kill all their pets and plants or give their unborn baby three eyes

Last edited:
So I have a bungalow and conservatory to clean in a couple of days. After a lot of researching and reading through every thread I could find here I picked up some Ubik 2000 as it seemed to be the most recommended. 

However I am still a little unsure if Ubik 2000 can damage any part of the property? It would be upvc window frames and Conny roof etc, maybe some older wooden painted frames round back. Is any kind of material a no no with this stuff? What about the solution landing in plants and flowers under the windows? 

I plan on using a mix of 1 part Ubik to two parts water and see how I go with that. Brush dipped in the bucket of solution. All sound ok? 

Sorry, I know there are a lot of threads on this but just want to make sure I don't dissolve someone's house, kill all their pets and plants or give their unborn baby three eyes

2:1 mix is too strong.

Bleh really? I have a read a few folks just using it neat then scrubbing with water running? OK so help a guy out! What kind of mix do I need? A bucket with about 7 litres of water will be enough for the job so how much UBIK should I add to that?

Also should I avoid this getting on the earth and plants?

The instructions for Ubic are available online.

I would tend to disagree with using tfr being a newbie. Its good stuff but if you let it dry then you have issues trying to get it off plastic as it stains. I got caught with it and it took 8 hours of elbow grease to that the conservatory right.

The valetors in the showroom used to use it to get the wax protection off new cars. We used to use it when cleaning our company cars, but it was a quick spray and then a blast with the pressure washer immediately afterwards.TFR was never used when it was hot.

Just a good glug in the bucket is plenty

If you want no risk of staining upvc etc use screwfix no nonsense degreaser and use it as strong as you like 

Perfect job and no problems

The instructions for Ubic are available online.

I would tend to disagree with using tfr being a newbie. Its good stuff but if you let it dry then you have issues trying to get it off plastic as it stains. I got caught with it and it took 8 hours of elbow grease to that the conservatory right.

The valetors in the showroom used to use it to get the wax protection off new cars. We used to use it when cleaning our company cars, but it was a quick spray and then a blast with the pressure washer immediately afterwards.TFR was never used when it was hot.

you being a newbie then and using so much of it that it stains, think you've solved tour own problem, your using too much...there's beem probably loads of these same posts and loads of us use tfr for soffits facias conserv roofs etc and I personally have beem using it for over 2 years on every job with no probs or issues..
you only need to put a tiny bit on a 5ltr sprayer, spray on and scrub with water fed pole rinse of bubbles...job done.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Agree with @Dave B. I have used ubik loads and it's good stuff but now soley using screwfix degreaser. Just out a good splash in your bucket. My way is

-Wet Windows or Connie or gutters etc

-Dip brush in bucket apply to surface

-Good scrub (agitate) 

-leave 5 mins

- rinse/ clean / hose off etc depending on surface

Jobs done :) 

You've bought the Ubik so you done the right thing already.  Everything else is a waste of time. 

For those saying this is cheaper that is cheaper Ubik cost pennies when used right. 

For heavy soiling 10/1 for not so bad 20/1. 

Wet the surface your working on,  spray some Ubik on your brush. Work it in briefly. Let dwell for a minute and rinse off. 

It's also a totally biodegradable product so less risk to plants critters etc. 

everything else is a waste of time ???? so everyone including myself that uses different product we all wasting are time and obviously doing **** jobs...thanks for clearing that up I wondered where I was going wrong all these years it's because I wasn't using ubik

You've bought the Ubik so you done the right thing already.  Everything else is a waste of time. 

For those saying this is cheaper that is cheaper Ubik cost pennies when used right. 

For heavy soiling 10/1 for not so bad 20/1. 

Wet the surface your working on,  spray some Ubik on your brush. Work it in briefly. Let dwell for a minute and rinse off. 

It's also a totally biodegradable product so less risk to plants critters etc. 

everything else is a waste of time ???? so everyone including myself that uses different product we all wasting are time and obviously doing **** jobs...thanks for clearing that up I wondered where I was going wrong all these years it's because I wasn't using ubik

I agree with @Green Pro Clean Ltd that used properly ubik is not expensive. I'm In fact if you are charging correctly you could double the cost of uni in it would still be good value! 

I don't agree that it's the only thing worth using though. I find for day to day work. Screwfix no nonsense degreaser is excellent and plenty of other good ones on the market

There are a few great products on the market

Especially if you know what to mix with what :1f609:

Ive always used the cheapest all purpose cleaner you can find in the shops, moribogs, tesco, asda, sainsburys all do (or did) one.

25p for 500ml for asda smartprice...

Used it for windows connys, car valeting including degreasing engine bays etc

I now add a dollop of cheap bleach and a squirt of washing up liquid to it for an extra boost.

Happy enough with it, but they all do the same thing really, ubik, virosol g101 etc

Tbh green pros got it right 10 to 1 was my go standard mix when I used ubik mix it strong and then do alot less brush work yes this stuff is an expense but if it works better stronger means I don't have to work to hard scrubbing the upvc.

I using upvc max atm and I doing the same thing 10 to 1 and if I think something is really bad I put it on neat using the brush head or on a cloth works very well.

My point is real straight forward. 

He's already got Ubix so why mess about looking for something else? 

IMO everything else is pretty much a waste of time for sprucing up the UPVC as Ubik does it fine. 

When it comes to knowing what to mix with what @Dave B you're well aware that I got a good few recipes stashed. 

What makes me laugh....regardless of what you use is that folk are always trying to find 'better / cheaper'  i prefer to stick with what I know works (and cost but pennies) and more importantly how it works. 

If our OP takes on all comments here @jay198127 he's gonna have no room in the van for a sandwich as it will be too full of chem bottles of varying makes. 

So yes IMO everything else is a waste of time when there is a perfectly good solution in your van already. 

I never said anyone's doing it wrong. That's between you and your conscience mate. ?

What you use is your business.  As long as it works for you and you're happy with it carry on.  But once you found something that works why bother changing it?  

UPVC Max is going to change the world!  Look at all the errmmm..... reviews.  Try ordering some today ?

I don't only use the Ubik, I also swear by the Unger Rub Out for the ingrained crud that needs heavy buffing out. 

@paul alan quite a few on here used to use virosol till switching to these new back room wonder products.  Virosol is good but I personally don't like it.  I find it too harsh. If it dries out it causes 'yellowing' on the plastic that is a ball ache to get out. 

Ubik/Virosol
Window soap like squeegee off or HG, (and washing up liquid if I'm going to chuck the bucket after one wash).
Bleach.
Spray glass cleaner.

If someone can't get a good job done with just that then there are issues. Like green says, it's not worth filling up your van with loads of bottles trying to find the next best thing.

Latest Posts

Back