Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tire wear

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luke Barnard

How many miles do you get from a set of tires?

I've had my Vivaro from new for one year now and I'm most of the way through my front tires!!! They have under 3mm left and I've only done 5k miles, the rears have 7mm plus.

I carry a 500L tank bolted just in front of the rear axle for even weight distribution and the normal gear, there's no way I'm over loaded.

I do 5 days a week but it's all local so my mileage is all town driving with lots of reverse parking, u-turns, etc.

Is this normal for our type of driving or do I have an issue with the van?

You will get excessive wear turning your wheel whilst stationary, but even that wouldn't account for the wear you're getting. I have a Vivaro and I got approx. 20k out of mine, and they were part worn when I bought them. I don't however do lots of city driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is probably with your tank if it is un baffled it will cause the water to surge putting more strain and wear on tyres and breaks.

I would also guess having the tank up against bulk head would help as your van is probably front wheel drive.

I'm pretty sure @Damo got through his front ones quite quickly with 850l of water on board

The weight of the water will definitely make a big difference 

How many miles do you get from a set of tires?

I've had my Vivaro from new for one year now and I'm most of the way through my front tires!!! They have under 3mm left and I've only done 5k miles, the rears have 7mm plus.

I carry a 500L tank bolted just in front of the rear axle for even weight distribution and the normal gear, there's no way I'm over loaded.

I do 5 days a week but it's all local so my mileage is all town driving with lots of reverse parking, u-turns, etc.

Is this normal for our type of driving or do I have an issue with the van?

That just doesn't sound right.

A tyre fitter should be able to look at the tyres and see if they are wearing abnormally. There are tell tails signs for camber issues, tracking, over inflation, under inflation, etc.

Where i live @spruce is built like milton keynes with roundabouts at every junction instead of lights which does seem to make tyres wear on one side (only 3 sets of lights in the whole place)

If just normal roads then i would check to see if most of the wear is on the inside tread or outside as that would indicate the camber is wrong or the tracking

Transit custom is known to chew front tyres. 

On the sport model model you can destroy them in less than 4K! 

I get 8-10k on fronts and rears are on 40k

lol

I carry 25 ltrs of water on my trolley. I do about .5 miles a day four days of the week and get through two sets of tyres a year. Don't know if that helps. :1f603:

PS: One always goes bald quiker than the other. Don't know why.

On 3, vans I'm probs buying 6-8 tyres a year mid spec all vans 800 one upright to flat one is set over the back and that causes the most problems

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

my vivaro chews front tyres i have 500l tank uprite buy bulk head  i carry about 700 kilo every day the van spinns easy in the wet and gets stuck easy off road so i think there very front heavy 

My tyres have done just under 24k, I think they're Continentals, still got another 5k left in them at least. I do a lot of motorway driving and never thrape it, always smooth through the gears etc.

Sounds like it's a Vivaro thing then....the wear is even accross the tire and pressures are correct, they're Conti's so not **** tires.

Perhaps I just drive like a c##t.

The issue is probably with your tank if it is un baffled it will cause the water to surge putting more strain and wear on tyres and breaks.

I would also guess having the tank up against bulk head would help as your van is probably front wheel drive.
Nope...baffled tank....mid-mounted for even weight distribution....moving it forward would cause more wear to the front tires.

no two vans will wear the same , different drivers and different roads types well make a big impacted on tyre wear ,  let alone bummping up kerbs and doing u turns ect ect parking and just spinning the wheels without moving 

i put a new set on the front yearly on each van , to lazy to change the fronts to the back and all that rubbish , we ARE HARD on them pulling out of places hit the red line .to get out of streets , bumping up kerbs ect ect but if your earning plenty of £ then a set of fronts every year isnt out the way , 

theres a fine line between driving like miss daisy making everything last for ever which it turn make you earn less as your not getting to as many jobs i dont think you any anything to worrie about 

Back