Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

GoCardless confusion

Hiya,

Apologies in advance for being an utter numpty but I can't get my head around GoCardless. We use Cleaner Planner and are just starting to switch some customers over to GoCardless, but I'm confused about how we explain it to them... here is my understanding of it: 

1. We send a GC link to customer to set up the direct debit. 
  2. This authorises us to request any amount we like once the clean is done (I will request the payment through Cleaner Planner)
  3. This amount automatically comes out of customer's bank account... or does it?  Does the customer have to authorise it?

What I can't understand is why a customer would agree to this. I thought a direct debit was a fixed amount on the same day each month, not a variable amount on any day. 

I can understand GC's appeal to a customer that they don't need to pay manually, but surely no-one would ever agree to a company taking out any amount they like.

I must be missing something here... can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Jo

@Gazz - thanks a lot for your reply.  How do your customers receive the notification?   I'm asking because I've set myself up as a test customer and followed the steps I wrote above, but I've not received any message and the system has my mob no and email address...

Also, do your customers need to approve the payment for it to be released? 

I don't use the system yet mate. I'm not a busy window cleaner yet. But I did look into it and will be going that direction.

You send the link to the customer,they fill in there details and when you clean you send over the bill. Which they need to accept and it goes into gocardless and you need to wait 3-5 days I believe before it clears into your account.

It's only a few clicks for the customers and it seems the way forward.

but surely no-one would ever agree to a company taking out any amount they like.
You agree this if you ever sign a phone contract or for sky tv or the likes.  The price is  £9.99 per month but wait you ordered 2 movies so now it's £19.99. 

Customers agree to it all day long. To the point where it is the only method of payment we accept now. 

You agree this if you ever sign a phone contract or for sky tv or the likes.  The price is  £9.99 per month but wait you ordered 2 movies so now it's £19.99. 

Customers agree to it all day long. To the point where it is the only method of payment we accept now. 
Meant to ask, out of your full run how many questioned it or made an attempt to drop off?

I lost about 4%. 

However I didn't lose at all cause there is now zero administration on collections. 

I knew I would lose some but they will be replaced soon enough. 
Brilliant, I'm going to just make this the norm from now on. If people message me via Facebook or my website(when I get one).  That's now the norm to use gocardless.

GC direct debit works a little different the way I use it along with CP is I only make a request for payment after each window clean has taken place I do this twice a week and make multiple requests in one go via CP, When you make a request for payment the client gets a email informing them of the request for the service provided and the amount due payments typically take 5 working days to process before the funds land in your bank account. 

Just did a test sign up and got email straight through, Check your spam folder which is what I always tell new sign ups for all and any GC  emails, Its a direct debit once set up all payments are authorised, I have been using GC for close to 4 years now and never had any issues . 

I set up costumers on the door by texting them the GC link from the customer section I ask them to fill it in while I clean, when done I knock the door with phone in hand show them which plan I’m adding them to and ask what date they would prefer payment to come out (usually pay day) then let them know I’ll post a cleaned today card every time I clean property. I know most prefer to click when cleaned using cleaner planner and can see why most do because we can get behind etc and don’t want to mess the customer about. I just explain we aim for every 4 weeks but sometimes we will be late because of circumstances outside of our control, they accept that and know before sing up. 

I set up costumers on the door by texting them the GC link from the customer section I ask them to fill it in while I clean, when done I knock the door with phone in hand show them which plan I’m adding them to and ask what date they would prefer payment to come out (usually pay day) then let them know I’ll post a cleaned today card every time I clean property. I know most prefer to click when cleaned using cleaner planner and can see why most do because we can get behind etc and don’t want to mess the customer about. I just explain we aim for every 4 weeks but sometimes we will be late because of circumstances outside of our control, they accept that and know before sing up. 
I totally avoided this option due to holidays etc and potentially due to illness or accident if I was off for 3 months lets say worse case then I would have to cancel over 200 direct debits otherwise I would end up owing clients a small fortune in total

I totally avoided this option due to holidays etc and potentially due to illness or accident if I was off for 3 months lets say worse case then I would have to cancel over 200 direct debits otherwise I would end up owing clients a small fortune in total
Yea, I understand where you are coming from and weighed things up, my brother can cover under the above circumstances. I’m just glad there is such a thing as GoCardless to take trouble out of much of the administration.

Don't want to upset anyone but some are making this sound like hard work.  

I use GoCardless through Cleaner Planer.  

Now I have been having a brief conversation in PM with someone about the same stuff. 

Cleaner Planer when used to it's full potential (or even part there of) is a very powerful tool to have.   All the others (IMO) are just diary systems.    

PLEASE PLEASE -- before all the 'I use this and I use that and it's the best' jump in this has nothing to do with any other software so please dont.   I have been on CP for 5 years and wont consider anything else.  

Now with CP we have the Pro level package.    We use this for two reasons.   

1:  The text local service is dead handy.  

2: At this level you get a GoCardless integration feature for your website. (we still use the link service as well) 

There  appears to be two ways to add to GoCardless.  

1:  You set up a plan in the dashboard and add clients to that and then they are on that plan (this seems to be an automatic monthly billing on certain date at certain time) 

2: You client registers on GoCardless and authorizes you to collect payments-- you add their email address to their file in Cleaner Planner.    How this method works (this is the one we use) is pretty straight forward.  

Once the worksheet is completed you submit it on Cleaner Planner. 

Then at the top of your debt list on Cleaner Planner there is a button 'Start GoGardless'  - When you click this is it triggers the collection process for your outstanding customers.  

Why we like this process is that if we miss them, because the job is not recorded as a debt in Cleaner Planner the client does not get billed.  

Hope that clears it up a bi for you. 

Don't want to upset anyone but some are making this sound like hard work.  

I use GoCardless through Cleaner Planer.  

Now I have been having a brief conversation in PM with someone about the same stuff. 

Cleaner Planer when used to it's full potential (or even part there of) is a very powerful tool to have.   All the others (IMO) are just diary systems.    
PLEASE PLEASE -- before all the 'I use this and I use that and it's the best' jump in this has nothing to do with any other software so please dont.   I have been on CP for 5 years and wont consider anything else.  

Now with CP we have the Pro level package.    We use this for two reasons.   

1:  The text local service is dead handy.  
2: At this level you get a GoCardless integration feature for your website. (we still use the link service as well) 

There  appears to be two ways to add to GoCardless.  

1:  You set up a plan in the dashboard and add clients to that and then they are on that plan (this seems to be an automatic monthly billing on certain date at certain time) 

2: You client registers on GoCardless and authorizes you to collect payments-- you add their email address to their file in Cleaner Planner.    How this method works (this is the one we use) is pretty straight forward.  
 Once the worksheet is completed you submit it on Cleaner Planner. 
Then at the top of your debt list on Cleaner Planner there is a button 'Start GoGardless'  - When you click this is it triggers the collection process for your outstanding customers.  
Why we like this process is that if we miss them, because the job is not recorded as a debt in Cleaner Planner the client does not get billed.  

Hope that clears it up a bi for you. 

You can take a horse to water as they say. But some will never get it [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks for the moral support guys, feeling the love, ha ha. 

For clarification I drink my water standing up from a glass not on all fours with my head in a trough and butt in the air, lol.  

I apologise if Im making things sound like hard work but my previous job Writing speeches for Government ministers the more confusing/boring the better! 

Anyway, these are some links that some may find usful for using GoCardless

there are a number of ways to use their services I seam to use it differently to most but it suits the way I work.

Hope you get your head around it soon @Mr and Mrs window cleaner As it’s a great tool and makes life easier.

https://support.gocardless.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002228989-Overview-of-payment-types

https://support.gocardless.com/hc/en-gb/articles/209700769-Adding-Customers

https://support.gocardless.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002270325-Setting-up-a-subscription

Back