Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any help appreciated ****

Sewell8996

Hi All,

Ive lurked around here for a few years often toying with the idea of window cleaning, In a nutshell I left the Police force a few years ago and went int to sales and business management, To be honest with 4 small children a wife and everything life throws this just doesn't fit me as a person, I need the ability to earn a good wage with a small amount of flexibility on top with working outside bing my own boss. Im a grafter and and have no issues with the business side of things, So heres my dilemma,

Ive decided to save some money until April next year and hit this full time, Ive acquired a smart looking Traffic and intend to start learning the trade with WFP.

Do I go all out and install a full van mount system now or do I start gaining a round with a backpack type system establishing some part time income? Are the backpacks up to the job? Will I look professional enough? 

I wondered what you would suggest and if a backpack as a starter system over the quieter months would be good enough or if I should just invest in the whole shabang??

Cheers Guys.

Hi All,

Ive lurked around here for a few years often toying with the idea of window cleaning, In a nutshell I left the Police force a few years ago and went int to sales and business management, To be honest with 4 small children a wife and everything life throws this just doesn't fit me as a person, I need the ability to earn a good wage with a small amount of flexibility on top with working outside bing my own boss. Im a grafter and and have no issues with the business side of things, So heres my dilemma,

Ive decided to save some money until April next year and hit this full time, Ive acquired a smart looking Traffic and intend to start learning the trade with WFP.

Do I go all out and install a full van mount system now or do I start gaining a round with a backpack type system establishing some part time income? Are the backpacks up to the job? Will I look professional enough? 

I wondered what you would suggest and if a backpack as a starter system over the quieter months would be good enough or if I should just invest in the whole shabang??

Cheers Guys.
backpack is more than adequate, I run my business just using a backpack and barrels. Van mount is easier but costs more. I wouldn't wait until April get going asap, start on weekends to build up, then go part time at your current job, once those days are full then you'll be earning a fair amount, then save for a van mount using the money you own. Only thing id do is put it on a trolley. First thing you need to do is get a tds meter, find out your tap reading. Get a decent one from a window cleaning supplier, not a cheap one off eBay. Then we can advise what you need better. If your readings low enough you can get going for under £500. Now's a good time to start, as the beer token & good weather windys go into hiding. Good luck, it's a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sewell8996 you have got it in one, @Clisty1989 has hit the nail on the head as well, Only exception is we need some colder weather to weed out the beer token boys :1f603: , Their isn't really any quieter months in this job a quality cleaner will always be in demand. 

Also depends on what type of houses or business properties your targeting. 

A backpack alone would be a nightmare on a round where your targeting massive property’s and big commercials.

This advice gets on my mumma sitas. 

Why sod about with a backpack?  Usually about 1 typical semi per fill. Perhaps 2.  Then mess about refilling. 

Lifting 25kg of  (water plus another 3 or 4k of battery pump etc) on and off your back every job. 

Why? Why? Why? 

The only sane answer is buy a van mount. Especially as you already have a van.  

If you're going solo operator a 500l tank will keep you in good shape for the day without the infernal messing about. 

The idea of buying a backpack to 'give it a try' makes no sense to me. Thats a defeatist attitude.  'I'm only getting this one in case it doesnt work out' well your already building in an exit stratagey.  Might as well just quit now. 

I used a backpack for around two months then went to van mount never looked back, apart from a few jobs a month the trolley comes into its own. 

My son uses the purefreedom nano trolley and loves it, but my next setup will be a two man setup.

I'm quite new to this. I have a backpack and trolley, never used it for over a year. With the advice available on here, I built my own system into the van, and never looked back. From time to time things have gone wrong, but having done it myself I can solve any problem, as I have two of everything,so I'm dependant on no one. It seems a bit daunting at first, but with the help of the forum and a good local plumbers merchant it's a simple plumbing system! 

A trolley system works brilliantly for me and a couple of good friends I have, but thats only because we had well established compact rounds when we switched over. In addition there are often parking issues to deal with.

However, compact rounds are hard to come by when starting up these days, so as you already have the van, I would say thats the way to go. A backpack and trolley can be added to your kit later on for those occasional jobs where you might find it advantageuos.

Hi All,

Cheers Guys.
p/m me your number and i will give you a call , also if you not on "my patch " (joke) i will even take you out for the day if you like 

I've never liked the idea of going straight into wfp, unless you are taking over /buying an established round. The early days are slow, work doesn't come in fast at all. Having thousands of pounds of gear sitting there while you do the odd house you pick up is a waste imo. Get a ladder, squeegee, cloths etc and learn the old fashioned way and it will help you find out whether you like the game before committing too much. You'll also pick up skills that will be useful later on.

That's only my opinion for what it's worth though. Personally I did trad for a few years, and backpack for a nearly a couple more. My only regret is that I didn't get a van mount or at least a decent trolley sooner once I had all my customers converted.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Tolish speaks a lot of sense, cleaning windows is the easy bit of this job most of the time, it’s everything else that can be hard work, so it is a good idea not to invest too much into the business before you are sure it’s for you... you can get up and running with trad gear for a couple of hundred quid, cheaper maybe if you search eBay and borrow a ladder, and it’s all gear you’ll need down the line anyway. 

But, get some gear together, get some public liability and go knock doors on your days off. You’ll soon know if it’s for you or not.

I retired from the Police last year. After a 6 month break I retrained as a window cleaner. It's a fantastic job offering flexibility being outside and being my own boss. I use WFP on a van system bought from a good lad up in Worksop Joe at Baileys water fed poles. I would honestly say go for it! Backpacks are ok I have one but if you can afford a van and set up then go for that! Good luck.

Back