Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What business would you like to start next?

Amazin

It seems lot of you been doing this for years and years some even more than 25 years. I really don't want to window clean forever and at some point I would like to do something else.

How about you guys?

I reckon grass cutting would be good for my retirement... just a no frills cut once a fortnight or whatever, only work in the summer when the weathers nice, then **** off in a motor home for the winter ?

I reckon grass cutting would be good for my retirement... just a no frills cut once a fortnight or whatever, only work in the summer when the weathers nice, then **** off in a motor home for the winter ?
Just been speaking to a mate whose a gardener, joking about the warm weather will mean he's working later than normal this year. His words were end of this week that's me done, 22 weeks on 30 weeks off. Mind they do work long hours in the summer.

I'd like to run a 3D printer farm doing designs on demand or teach 3D printing and electronics. I have two printers running at the moment when needed, but only the odd job here and there.

I’m probably stopping in nine years as I’ll be sixty and have a private pension, however, I have no intention spending my days gardening. So, I’d like to start a little business customising motorbikes 

Football agent, I have a friend that was a GP until he got struck off, google Dr Arnett, who has since become a football agent. Taking between 5 & 10% of players salaries, and other earnings, means you don't need many players earning £10k a week to do well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all i know mate

The army taught me how to bang dents out of pinkies (old 109 land rover) etc as i was a reme metalsmith and tried a few other jobs over the years but windows is what i know 

Could maybe do a bit of roofing if needed but the windows and add on jobs is where i will make my money

Just need to get a few helper monkeys working for me as the business will be my pension

I haven't ever had a proper pension

Budget funerals, winner! Anyone can organise one. 2nd horse cost around 2K of EBay & a black suit & away you go

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

@Dave B I have a pension pot of circa £130k. If I don't put in anymore money it will be worth £161k when I retire at 67. This will give me an annual pension of £4850 per year. How long do they think I'm going to live for  :delusional:

Take it in 1 lump and blow ot on hookers and coke lol

Never know how long you got so i refused to pay all my life for something like a pension

My dad payed over the odds for his in the hope of a nice retirement and sadly died of heart attack before his 54th birthday

Makes you wonder what is the point

Take it in 1 lump and blow ot on hookers and coke lol

Never know how long you got so i refused to pay all my life for something like a pension

My dad payed over the odds for his in the hope of a nice retirement and sadly died of heart attack before his 54th birthday

Makes you wonder what is the point
Not what you know but who. My wife is a premier business banker for a Swedish bank. She gets us a top pension at the best rates. 

I do agree with you though that some out there seem a waste of time 

I will stick to window cleaning it's all I know and more than enjoy it i will just scale it back as i get on in my years, As for a pension stopped paying in years ago after discovering my annual  pension would be around £6,00 a year after paying in for over 33 years and as people are living longer and I am only 42 years old now I could easily forsee that 6k dwindling to about 3k. 

I've been looking at other business ideas me and the Mrs could run on the side and have been looking into kids party equipment. Bouncy castle and soft play set ups. Since we had a party for my daughter and paid £150 for the guy to turn up with a bouncy castle and ball pond with a slide set it up in about 20 mins and pick it up in the afternoon in another 20 mins. He has 5 parties that day on his booking sheet. The initial out lay and insurance is hefty but they are making serious cash

I've been looking at other business ideas me and the Mrs could run on the side and have been looking into kids party equipment. Bouncy castle and soft play set ups. Since we had a party for my daughter and paid £150 for the guy to turn up with a bouncy castle and ball pond with a slide set it up in about 20 mins and pick it up in the afternoon in another 20 mins. He has 5 parties that day on his booking sheet. The initial out lay and insurance is hefty but they are making serious cash
did bit of cash in hand doing that when I was 16, it was hard graft, you need to clean them after every use, service them and ensure all stitching ok, if not the stitchings very expensive. Plus blowers, generators etc. Doesn't leave much after overheads

If I had my time again ild have been a stockbroker
Regrets wasting money and not getting more bricks and mortar

Pension property portfolios and leave the business to crack on as it can do

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

When i started out 3 years ago i thought great, i want to do this forever.. own boss, spare time, decent money etc.

Then when i got to the point of being busy everyday (only really this year) it got boring fast. Spare time? nope less time now than i was employed, sure i can take a day off but ill have to pay it back double the next day. Now im a slave to customers.

I now know the part that i enjoy is the struggle, the business side of things, the building etc. cleaning windows is ok, theres worse jobs but being limited to just being a "window cleaner" for the next 30 years until i retire  fills me with a sense of dread.

I want much more from life than that...

Now im looking at window cleaning as my first step into the world of business. I will grow the round to the point i can free up time to look into other ventures.

Not sure what it will be, theres loads and loads of options, ideally i would go into property but it takes a lot of capital to get into, but will definately be looking at things than can produce passive income or be systematised to run themselves.

Back