Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
Kenny Q

Lighter pole

Nudel

I have a xtreme 47, but daily I only use the top 5 sections, both to reduce weight and due to the bottom sections being very fat and not that comfortable to hold.

I've tried a couple of poles apart from this one, a hybrid pole and an aluminum one, the extreme is a so much better pole it's ridiculous. I compared it to the 5+ poles (some gardiners, ionic and others) a friend of mine had and when we propped them up the extreme bent the least amount. Not very scientific, I know.

I must say I absolutely love working with the extreme, especially with the xtreme 45cm brush head on. But, the maintenance part is a bit of a bummer. I must have missed some part of the maintenance procedure because after a year the two top sections spin freely and I need to move them 5cm out when I clamp them now.

My guess is I forgot to clean the insides of the extensions properly and grit have built up and worn the top part out. I probably also was a bit stingy with the water when rinsing them. I've went through three canisters of PTFE spray though. :1f602:

Will I buy an extreme again? Probably, but I'm going to try out an SLX35 as my daily driver first, and see how it goes.

Part Timer
15 minutes ago, Nudel said:

I have a xtreme 47, but daily I only use the top 5 sections, both to reduce weight and due to the bottom sections being very fat and not that comfortable to hold.

I've tried a couple of poles apart from this one, a hybrid pole and an aluminum one, the extreme is a so much better pole it's ridiculous. I compared it to the 5+ poles (some gardiners, ionic and others) a friend of mine had and when we propped them up the extreme bent the least amount. Not very scientific, I know.

I must say I absolutely love working with the extreme, especially with the xtreme 45cm brush head on. But, the maintenance part is a bit of a bummer. I must have missed some part of the maintenance procedure because after a year the two top sections spin freely and I need to move them 5cm out when I clamp them now.

My guess is I forgot to clean the insides of the extensions properly and grit have built up and worn the top part out. I probably also was a bit stingy with the water when rinsing them. I've went through three canisters of PTFE spray though. :1f602:

Will I buy an extreme again? Probably, but I'm going to try out an SLX35 as my daily driver first, and see how it goes.

I find that if you close the clamp lying forward, rather than flush, this prevents the spinning.

Julian Noddy Dean

you know i read on fourms , facebook ect ect many window cleaners moaning about the prices of extreeme  poles and they only last a year NOT ON HERE MAY I ADD

yet if we worked in a garage we would have 30k worth  on snap on tools stuck in the corner ! we  would still need to buy in a over a grands worth every year too keep updated on new cars ec tect and some of these guys are on very low wages  sometimes we need to take stock of what other trades have to spend on gear each year 

Iron Giant

@Nudel  spraying with ptfe spray is almost pointless in reducing wear on sections IMHO the sections will wear depending on how you extend and collapse a pole, As wear becomes apparent on sections of my pole I use Plasti-Kote Clear Sealer 2-3 light coats and it holds up really well,  I also work without a base end cap and get no issues with grit as i am ocd with wiping pole hose. 

I typically use a MK2 Xtreme-22 as my everyday pole and have done so for over 2 years, Used my brand new  Slx-22 today which has sat collecting dust since last december felt quite a bit heavier than my xtreme but surprisingly felt more rigid than the xtreme but i couldn't use it as an everyday pole as i am 5ft weakling :1f602:

My xtreme with metal bands has had section #2 replaced with a slx section #2 as of last December  and section #3 has been replaced with a mk3 section #3 as off last October and i would say the wear rate and maintenance on the slx and extreme sections isn't any different. 

Nudel

Thanks you for sharing your experience @Iron Giant

Need to try out the clear coat method, sounds brilliant.

@Part Timer what do you mean by closing it forward?

Part Timer
13 minutes ago, Nudel said:

Need to try out the clear coat method, sounds brilliant.

@Part Timer what do you mean by closing it forward?

Just before its fully closed tilt the latch forward so it touches the clamp above then close it. If this doesn't help I will take a photo tomorrow 

Iron Giant
9 hours ago, Nudel said:

Need to try out the clear coat method, sounds brilliant

Its touch dry in seconds, I strip the pole down clean it then apply spray to required sections then I take them in the house overnight were its a lot warmer so it can fully cure, The 2-3 very light coats gives a nice matt finish.

Kenny Q

Some great feedback there guys. Thank you. It's narrowed my decision down to two poles. Th extreme 18 or the slx 18, both of which will reach over 95% of my work, and I'll still have the slx 25 for the other stuff 🤔

Alex Gardiner
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

SLX section's should fit onto the Xtreme without issue.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Not all sections are fully compatible between the X3 Xtreme poles and the SLX poles. The first 3 sections are not interchangeable although larger sections should be.