Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

First Clean Free

Gleam123

How many of you actually used this type of incentive when you started off?

Reason I ask is I am having a hell of a time at the moment deliberating about what I will be putting on my leaflets because certain things have worked well and not so well for others.

From what ive read alot of people have gone with offering the first clean free im just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this method or why anyone may think its nto such a good idea?

Thanks

hiya. be careful of this as first cleans could mean ur cleaning someones windows that have not been cleaned for months which could mean two cleans as there so dirty!!!! or worse they dont want you to do it again!!!

i liked someones (cant remember whos) idea of recomend a friend and once they take you on regularly they get a free clean or something like that? (there is a conversation on here somewhere on this subject thats usefull)

Ive learnt very quickly that everyone wants something for nothing so you have to protect urself. start out hard and soften and be fair as you get to know ur custies i say. then they will learn to trust you and in turn u will get to know them too :)

Do you mean this one Kars?

RE: Getting new customers

I printed some envelopes - saying

Dear customer... I need more work...... please find enclosed some flyers - recommend a friend - £5 off their second clean, £5 off your next bill.

Popped in 5 flyers into each envelope - left them with all my jobs.

Got loads of work - surprisingly some took them to work, and started offering them round, one was put up in the church hall, one on a village noticeboard.

Customers like to feel they are helping too.

Dave

Surprised at that - most of my referrals came on first clean after leaving flyers - they gave me details about who was interested. I think they just wanted to make sure I knew who referred, and that they got their discount.

Time will tell

I would be careful about offering free cleans on leaflets maybe a referral system the same as Flipfast is best.I have never offered free cleans as I would never go into a new supermarket and expect free groceries.If their windows are dirty and they want them cleaned then they will pay and most will double you have to make your potential customers think that having you clean their windows is the best option for them.

Im just wondering how to include the referral system, I wanted to offer the first clean free as a way of drumming up a bit of interest really.

With the leaflet I want to keep it simple but think that explaining the referral process may be a bit much.

Guest colinvansmith

Say something like 'recommend a friend or neighbour and if they hire us as their regular window cleaner we will give them £5 off their second clean and £5 of your next clean' I think nearly clean came up with that one.

Col

Guest window washer

Refferals may work but forget free cleans. I did this with 5000 flyers all professionally made and got 6 responses. Later when I asked customers why they said because they were su****ious. They thought I was a traveller or up to something sinister by trying to get in their house.

Just knock. This is the simplest way and easiest way to get customers. It will save you money on flyers and is tried and tested.

Guest colinvansmith

No disrespect but i have to diisagree with window washer, i have NEVER canvassed i abosolutley hate peopke chapping my door trying to sell me something and most my customers agree, if you put out the correct sort of leaflet then the return is fantastic i have grown my business year on year by at least 30k per year all by using leaflets and word of mouth and i apart from the first month i have never spent more than 4 hours a week delivering leaflets. Gleam If you want a copy of the leaflet i use send me your email and i'll pass it on, i used to get them professionally made up but realised this was a huge waste of money, now i do them myself for a fraction of the cost.

Col

Had no idea you had so much work Colin.

You must have several vehicles on the road though - which would increase your presence in the area, coupled with a good reputation.

To get to that stage though, I would agree that canvassing is worthwhile.

My wife does most of my canvassing, and seldom comes back with less than £50 of work for a couple of hours, but I maintain £10 - £15 average canvassing.

The flyers have their place for me - but as I have not got several sign written vans - I think door knocking helps on the path.

On my original rural round I only ever did a couple of hours canvassing - and built to have 6 lads working for me - all word of mouth, but in this area which is more built up canvassing wins out.

Dave

Guest window washer

No disrespect but i have to diisagree with window washer, i have NEVER canvassed i abosolutley hate peopke chapping my door trying to sell me something and most my customers agree, if you put out the correct sort of leaflet then the return is fantastic i have grown my business year on year by at least 30k per year all by using leaflets and word of mouth and i apart from the first month i have never spent more than 4 hours a week delivering leaflets. Gleam If you want a copy of the leaflet i use send me your email and i'll pass it on, i used to get them professionally made up but realised this was a huge waste of money, now i do them myself for a fraction of the cost.

Col

Hey Col, For the record personally I have never knocked on any doors as I hate doing it but was trying to save Gleam from spending a load of cash on flyers that MAY not work. I have only one leaflet now and it offers a quote. I put out about 500 every week and get around £200 of work nearly every time unless I am really unlucky and hit on a saturated area. I generally lose on the quote because I cannot see the back but most people ask for a re-quote if they have a conservatoty.

I had a call from a lady yesterday. I quoted £15 for a good size house but at the back the house was huge. She asked me for a re-quote and I said £25 and she took it. it works.

And... I would have still cleaned her house for £15 as I wanted a foot in the door in her road. Once my van is in her road I will get more work and make my money back that way.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against or for door knocking, it just isn't for me.

Guest colinvansmith

You've got me wrong im not against canvassing but i do well with a leaflet so don't see the point, i used to put the price on the leaflet but came up against the same problem of under quoting, now i put a leaflet out without a price and it does just as well.

col :)

Guest topcats

I agree with window washer getting leaflets printed can be a waste of money, about half of my customers are from word of mouth and another quarter are from me knocking on doors,they can see your equipped and the worse theey can say is no, however if your gonna be cleaning guttering, etc you can offer to clean the windows for free (some ppl like that) and a lot of ppl go for it. once you've hooked them you can ask them if they'd like them done regularly at their choice (monthly/6 weekly), be fair on pricing as overpricing will put them off.

Guest window washer

As everyone answers slightly differently and all work the assumption can only be that in different areas different methods of canvassing work better.

Therefore there can be no right or wrong way, just whatever suits the area.

I have now got to the stage where referrals beats canvassing but it has taken a while.

I will tell you what works well for me. A load of blue polo shirts and hoodies with.

Window Cleaner

e-mails

Phone number.

You would not belive how many I get this way, especially when walking round the shops getting a sandwich at lunch. In fact, it can actually become a pain and somedays I go out incognito!!!

As everyone answers slightly differently and all work the assumption can only be that in different areas different methods of canvassing work better.

Therefore there can be no right or wrong way, just whatever suits the area.

I have now got to the stage where referrals beats canvassing but it has taken a while.

I will tell you what works well for me. A load of blue polo shirts and hoodies with.

Window Cleaner

e-mails

Phone number.

You would not belive how many I get this way, especially when walking round the shops getting a sandwich at lunch. In fact, it can actually become a pain and somedays I go out incognito!!!

Really liking that idea window washer as we get a lot of people walking up to us purely because we look like window cleaners. even had one woman last week jump out of her car, holding up the traffic!!, to give me her number asking to call if we were window cleaners. £54 house in the bag!!! so i can imagine the trade u can drum up this way.

Once i get our business in shape its deffinately something i would consider. :)

• 3 months later...

i am still building up my business, i said to people a good few months ago if you recommend to a friend, family etc I will do your next clean for half price. they all seemed interested. i thought i would get some more customers potentially double them ... i was not lucky didnt get anything .. may sound bad to some reading thinking this guy is obviously not very good . but i just aint been lucky guess they dont no any one who wants a window cleaner ...

i tell a lie i did get a recommendation but i hadnt got round to telling that customer bout the if you recomend me ill do a half price clean... so wen i found out they had recommended me i told bout them ill do your next clean for half price for recommending me

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.