Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean Free

Gleam123

How many of you actually used this type of incentive when you started off?

Reason I ask is I am having a hell of a time at the moment deliberating about what I will be putting on my leaflets because certain things have worked well and not so well for others.

From what ive read alot of people have gone with offering the first clean free im just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this method or why anyone may think its nto such a good idea?

Thanks

Do you mean this one Kars?

RE: Getting new customers

I printed some envelopes - saying

Dear customer... I need more work...... please find enclosed some flyers - recommend a friend - £5 off their second clean, £5 off your next bill.

Popped in 5 flyers into each envelope - left them with all my jobs.

Got loads of work - surprisingly some took them to work, and started offering them round, one was put up in the church hall, one on a village noticeboard.

Customers like to feel they are helping too.

Dave

I am starting to think my area just does not want window cleaners. Did this for all my customers and not a single referal :)

Surprised at that - most of my referrals came on first clean after leaving flyers - they gave me details about who was interested. I think they just wanted to make sure I knew who referred, and that they got their discount.

Time will tell

I would be careful about offering free cleans on leaflets maybe a referral system the same as Flipfast is best.I have never offered free cleans as I would never go into a new supermarket and expect free groceries.If their windows are dirty and they want them cleaned then they will pay and most will double you have to make your potential customers think that having you clean their windows is the best option for them.

Im just wondering how to include the referral system, I wanted to offer the first clean free as a way of drumming up a bit of interest really.

With the leaflet I want to keep it simple but think that explaining the referral process may be a bit much.

Had no idea you had so much work Colin.

You must have several vehicles on the road though - which would increase your presence in the area, coupled with a good reputation.

To get to that stage though, I would agree that canvassing is worthwhile.

My wife does most of my canvassing, and seldom comes back with less than £50 of work for a couple of hours, but I maintain £10 - £15 average canvassing.

The flyers have their place for me - but as I have not got several sign written vans - I think door knocking helps on the path.

On my original rural round I only ever did a couple of hours canvassing - and built to have 6 lads working for me - all word of mouth, but in this area which is more built up canvassing wins out.

Dave

i am still building up my business, i said to people a good few months ago if you recommend to a friend, family etc I will do your next clean for half price. they all seemed interested. i thought i would get some more customers potentially double them ... i was not lucky didnt get anything .. may sound bad to some reading thinking this guy is obviously not very good . but i just aint been lucky guess they dont no any one who wants a window cleaner ...

i tell a lie i did get a recommendation but i hadnt got round to telling that customer bout the if you recomend me ill do a half price clean... so wen i found out they had recommended me i told bout them ill do your next clean for half price for recommending me

I find if you do a good job people will recommend you and you will be busy even without giving away free cleans and if you do a bad job they tell all their friends and you will struggle.

I have only given away free cleans if the customer was dissatisfied,most understand that your trying to build a business and will help by recommending you to others because they want to keep you in business.Also if your in an area where there isnt many window cleaners working then you will pick up work far quicker.

Another local window cleaning firm offers first clean free,I charge twice the standard clean price for the first clean and I am busy,(their probably busy too)£££££

That is interesting point Col,Building a round quickly this could be a good route to take if you have plenty of time on your hands and while doing the free clean you probably pick up neighbours.

I think to limit the lose offer the free clean for the fifth clean,at least by then you built up some loyalty

I offer frames,sills and doors for free/standard in the price,don't really like the word free as nothing is really free.

You could offer to clean the insides for half price during winter months,this can fill up wet days or half price gutter cleaning and fit it in on quiet days

Back