Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Parking whilst cleaning

I had a look at this myself and from what I saw in certain areas you can buy a license as a window cleaner so you can park in this kind of scenario but it’s dependent on the council. In my area I’m stuffed if I’m caught parking illegally on double yellows. I’ve only been ticketed once though.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I had seen those licences online too. Unfortunately it doesn't look like cornwall council do them. I wasn't sure if we were gentlemanly granted a little while we are working.
As you have been ticketed though it appears not and the parking guys here are just hired thugs

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

there was a thread about this about a year ago, you are legally allowed to stop on double yellows for a maximum of 20mins if unloading and loading. You could argue it saying your technically unloading water, and loading up when packing away. Obviously if signs saying otherwise then you cant. Most traffic wardens here are usually chilled out and give me 5 mins to move before they get funny. One tried to give me a ticket and I just drove off, they never handed it to me so I never received it so couldn't get me to pay it. If its private company you don't have to pay anyway.

I clean a small pub / hotel on the seafront and the safest, trip hazard wise, place I can park is on the pavement at the start of a roundabout on double yellow lines. Never had a Warden or Policeman tell me to move, I've been doing it fortnightly for 6 years and plenty have walked and driven past.

Do that round london mate and you'll have a ticket withing 30 seconds

Funny how different areas let you get away with different things 

i just role up and park any were never had a ticket but i chat to all of them and keep then on side a bit of a chin wag and a smile goes a long way i dont take the **** very often tho my m8 is prickly and gets tickets all the time  a bit of respect goes a long way , as for rules as long as u have a hose out the back of your van u can park any were as long as its not causing a obstruction 

there was a thread about this about a year ago, you are legally allowed to stop on double yellows for a maximum of 20mins if unloading and loading. You could argue it saying your technically unloading water, and loading up when packing away. Obviously if signs saying otherwise then you cant. Most traffic wardens here are usually chilled out and give me 5 mins to move before they get funny. One tried to give me a ticket and I just drove off, they never handed it to me so I never received it so couldn't get me to pay it. If its private company you don't have to pay anyway.
I said that on that thread

Loading and unloading is 20 minutes on double yellow

Instant ticket on single yellow if within the times stated and on reds

I was in a double red loading bay in lower clapton road east London which was not a loading bay after 4pm

Got held up and got back to the van at 1602 and the old bill in a meat wagon were sticking a ticket on my window 

No bargaining with those numpties round there

Round where I work, as long as your parking is considerate and you're attatched to your van by a hose you're not likely to be ticketed. However, if you are using a trolley and your van is closed up, you are likely to get asked to move it or get a ticket, even if you are working nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flashing beacons and lights are being fitted to my van soon :)

Full length roof bar beacons at the rear and 4 flahing hazard lights fitted in the grill and bumper. Wont miss my van on side the road then lol

Sound great. Any links to where you got yours from? Can I ask how much you are being charged for fitting?

Also do you have to inform your insurance if the modification?

I had seen those licences online too. Unfortunately it doesn't look like cornwall council do them. I wasn't sure if we were gentlemanly granted a little while we are working.
As you have been ticketed though it appears not and the parking guys here are just hired thugs

Cornwall council do do them you have to apply 6 weeks before you are going to do the job and re apply every time you want to park there , we do some large hotels in st ives and I looked into it it was such a pain to apply I didn’t bother in the end just stuck extra on the price of the job to cover parking fines for both vans lol, but after 6 years haven’t had a ticket so quids in ???? if I remember correctly you have to apply to highways department at scorrier , most traffic wardens are ok if they see hoses out of your van just explained and usually they will leave you alone as long as you arnt creating an obstruction 

Cornwall council do do them you have to apply 6 weeks before you are going to do the job and re apply every time you want to park there , we do some large hotels in st ives and I looked into it it was such a pain to apply I didn’t bother in the end just stuck extra on the price of the job to cover parking fines for both vans lol, but after 6 years haven’t had a ticket so quids in [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1] if I remember correctly you have to apply to highways department at scorrier , most traffic wardens are ok if they see hoses out of your van just explained and usually they will leave you alone as long as you arnt creating an obstruction 
Thank you for that info buddy.
I'm up wadebridge way.
I am going to give highways a ring in the morning and see what they have to say

Sound great. Any links to where you got yours from? Can I ask how much you are being charged for fitting?

Also do you have to inform your insurance if the modification?

Paul007 having my roof light from a recovery friend :) the bumper and grill flashers are from ebay as for insurance I have spoken to them before hand and they say as long as I can prove a approved fitter has fitted them wouldn't effect my insurance as I am only helping my van get seen to reduce being hit while working from side or road :)

Roof beacons £80
Bumper & grill lights ebay £20
Fitted by my mechanic friend £50

funny thing is amber lights dont work just like hi-vis jackets dont work anymore , because we so use to seeing everybody with them we have got use to it so there point less 

Maybe so but I would rather take measures for my van and myself to be noticed and should anything happen the - I didn't see you responses become invalid - old saying be safe be seen comes to mind of course residential streets they wouldn't really be needed but a busy road or awkward parking where u cause obstruction can only help ,

Do you not put cones or signs out if your hose trails along a distance it might cause a trip ??? Irrelevant if people ignore it or not

Maybe so but I would rather take measures for my van and myself to be noticed and should anything happen the - I didn't see you responses become invalid - old saying be safe be seen comes to mind of course residential streets they wouldn't really be needed but a busy road or awkward parking where u cause obstruction can only help ,

Do you not put cones or signs out if your hose trails along a distance it might cause a trip ??? Irrelevant if people ignore it or not

no we leave the cones and the signs for the boys that dont have much work were to busy cleaning window for that rubbish 

Does any one use flashig amber light bars on their van roofs?

Does our industry have the right to use them ?

You dont need permission to use amber lights , but in my country you can get fined for not marking work areas such as trailing hoses across a sidewalk, thats why me and a few others are using these . Mine is placed at the reardoor under the roof , and up under the windshield , so you wouldt notice when not flashing . 

Latest Posts

Back